Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 09:50 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

Desperation finally makes them say it - Instead of Masks.. get your Vitamin D levels up. This obviously would reduce deaths by 1/3rd.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ance-vitamin-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Why do you think it should be 'instead of'? It's quite possible to both wear a mask and get 15 minutes of direct sunlight on your arms. I do it every day.

BTW, while the mask probably helps protect me from you, the main reason I wear it is to protect you from me. So you shouldn't be discouraging me from wearing a mask.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:12 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
I don't get it either. Plus, the article basics have been around for decades: get sunshine. 15 minutes a day. Nothing new there.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
BTW, while the mask probably helps protect me from you, the main reason I wear it is to protect you from me. So you shouldn't be discouraging me from wearing a mask.
Most masks -- are utterly useless. The home made ones only give like 2% protection and the hospital ones like 50%. People run around thinking they are safe with these and ignore their vitamin D status. Insanity.

Masks have become the new way to shame people and are proven ineffective. They should only allow masks proven to be effective.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:50 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Masks protect others from you, as J said. There's a vid somewhere on CD showing a person with and without a mask and compares the breath leaving the person with the mask on, and with the mask off. It clearly shows that masks keep people's breath to themselves much better than not.

Moreover, those with immunity problems of course will want to wear them...because when you're at risk, 2% to 50% is meaningful...not sure where the statistical significance starts in that range, but it doesn't matter. Because even with out immunity problems, having a better chance (2% or 50%...the latter of which surely does have meaning) is still better than nothing. For ourselves. For others.

All the cool socially responsible people are doing it. And the people shaming are shameful and exactly the sort of people that are part of the problem.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
..because when you're at risk, 2% to 50% is meaningful..
But you will refuse to endorse Vitamin D because "that doesn't work'-- laughable.

Keep with your false sense of security but don't force it on me.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
"15 minutes of sunshine a day is all you need" is like saying everyone should drink 64 oz. of water per day. That's too much for some people and not enough for others, depending on their size, activity level, the temperature, etc. etc.

If you have not had your blood level tested you have no idea if your vitamin D level is optimal or not. 10 years ago mine was low (in the low 20s), even though I was getting at least 15 minutes of sunshine on my arms and face a day, and I live in Southern California where it is sunny most of the time (I have had the basal cell carcinomas to prove it). Now that I've been taking 2000 iu of vitamin D every day for years, my level stays up above 40 where it should be.

I couldn't care less about the masks; if your vitamin D levels are optimal (>40), your risk of contracting respiratory viruses is reduced by 40-50%. The OP's linked article supports this, as do many other scientific studies. And the drop in risk is not specific to any one virus; it's about how your body's immune system functions and responds to viruses.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I couldn't care less about the masks; if your vitamin D levels are optimal (>40), your risk of contracting respiratory viruses is reduced by 40-50%. This is not specific to any one virus; it's about how your body's immune system functions.
Not to mention all the other benefits of having your vitamin D blood level up.

But if the government just said that here and people got the Vitamin D level up -- this thing could end.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM

962 posts, read 612,971 times
The only health benefit of wearing a mask is that obese people cannot stuff their pie holes with donuts and candy while wearing one.

Losing weight will yield a far greater positive result for one's health as opposed to the perceived safety of a dirty, germ-infected mask.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:57 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
At least wearing a mask decreases the amount of 'spraying what you're saying' that some people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness