Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 12:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times

Advertisements

I've got an alternate theory. Its less deadly because more people are wearing masks. When masks are worn, they don't block all of the virus aerosols but instead drastically reduce the initial viral load. That gives people's bodies a chance to build antibodies from repeated micro-exposures. There are multiple studies that support the size of initial viral load is an important factor in the final outcome of the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 02:09 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,960 times
The docs are also getting better at treatment. I work in medical records. They are using drugs for other diseases/conditions to treat COVID-19 patients, including immunomodulating agents, putting patients in nontraditional positions when on ventilator, using convalescent plasma, etc., but there are still new cases coming in that aren't responding to treatment or only minimally responding.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:12 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've got an alternate theory. Its less deadly because more people are wearing masks. When masks are worn, they don't block all of the virus aerosols but instead drastically reduce the initial viral load. That gives people's bodies a chance to build antibodies from repeated micro-exposures. There are multiple studies that support the size of initial viral load is an important factor in the final outcome of the case.

If that were true then all those swimmers in the Ozarks who weren't wearing masks, and who were in an extremely congested area would have all been infected by now. The media was putting that picture in our faces for days and days. None of those people were infected. They should all have been hospitalized by now!

Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
This is two days old now - but toodie, can't tell if you're being facetious here or what - but

In no case would they all be hospitalized. If EVERYONE in that photo got sick, just a handful would ultimately need a hospital. This a great misunderstanding among lots of folks - that it causes lots of serious illness. It does not (percentage wise). But a tiny percent of a huge number is still a huge number.

We were never trying to stop 10 thousand people from catching it at once. That hardly matters. We're trying to stop five million from catching it at once. (Not spread over four months...but at the same time.)

That's why a few folks wearing a mask is not that effective. 100 million people wearing one, though - now you're on to something.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:20 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Or maybe the answer is "all of the above." I believe the situation is a lot more complex than we'd like it to be.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Seems like the vast majority of people have strong enough immune systems to either prevent them from catching the virus or minimize symptoms if they do.

Lots of articles showing people are exposed and don't catch it.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:42 AM

219 posts, read 570,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Seems like the vast majority of people have strong enough immune systems to either prevent them from catching the virus or minimize symptoms if they do.

Lots of articles showing people are exposed and don't catch it.
I think you're correct. Also, the virus isn't as new as it has been advertised to be. The current strain is new. But Corona has been around before. Seems to me that previous exposure to that should have created at least a partial immunity to the current strain.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
spreaduing more due to protests no rules precautions followed chaos and opening things back up

Old 06-13-2020, 07:08 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
I've been following the numbers in my area for over a month (Jackson County and KC MO and Johnson County, KS) and deaths are pretty much leveled out. New cases keep increasing but in Johnson County (the only one where I've been able to track number of tests), they're doing about 400 test per day. The percent testing positive is trending downwards but that makes sense- testing was probably initially restricted to most vulnerable populations and most likely cases.

Two opposing theories I've seen- although the death rate in the US is about 6% when you take (number of deaths/number of reported cases), some scientists think that the number of people who actually HAD COVID-19 is way above the number tested so the fatality rate is closer to 1% when you include those cases. I've also read concerns, though, that the number of "excess" deaths YTD compared to last year is far higher than the number of COVID-19 deaths reported. So, maybe there were more deaths due to COVID-19 than we counted, possibly because they had other health issues that caused the death and COVID-19 was never diagnosed, or maybe people are dying of other health issues because they didn't want to go to the doctor or the hospital right now.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:03 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
zero faith in usa protecting us from pandemic after actions last few weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness