Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 06:57 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times

Advertisements

I don't know what area you live in, but if you have the ability to travel more of a distance, you could try dermatologists in other large cities within a few hours drive. Inconvenient, but it may give you more options. I totally sympathize because I recently moved to an area with far fewer physicians than the area we formerly lived and we had a 3-6 month delay getting new patient appointments.

As others have recommended, you may try making an appointment with one of your current doctors. Doctors often know one another and if your doctor thinks the lesion looks suspicious, he/she may be able to get you an appointment - or tell you how to get one. Once you get a dermatologist, I would highly recommend going annually for a skin check.

Hope you have luck getting an appointment with a doctor - and that the lesion isn't cancerous!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Just go to your local Urgent Care. If it is serious they will help find someone. Today, doctors only want to write referrals so people are expected to use Urgent Care as their PCP. Even Walmart is getting in the clinic game!

In the mean time don't panic.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's on her FACE. Waiting 9 months or even a few months means it could become quite disfiguring - regardless of what it could turn in to or grow into. It doesn't have to kill the OP to be something that is important to treat.
not really, they grow slow.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:59 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
how about going to your PCP and see if they can get you an appointment sooner? I'm sure if a general practice MD called and said, Hey I've got a patient with a suspicious lesion, can you look at it pretty soon? they will get better results.
^^^This. I've done it and it works to get you in faster.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:08 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Thanks for all the replies. I did point out the lesion to my PCP and her office made an appointment with a large clinic about 50 miles away. There was a cancellation slot available in 3 days but I had something else planned for that time. I phoned the clinic to cancel and the scheduler gave me a new appointment the end of August- the closest available date. I phoned 2 other clinics and their closest available appointments were not until late October. Question: why don't more med school grads specialize in dermatology?

They say that squamous cell cancer is more insidious than malignant melanoma as it can quickly spread to the brain and liver. Speaking of brain cancer and with Joe Biden in the news, his son Beau died of brain cancer. I'm wondering if Beau had an SCC lesion and either never knew about it or didn't act soon enough.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I did point out the lesion to my PCP and her office made an appointment with a large clinic about 50 miles away. There was a cancellation slot available in 3 days but I had something else planned for that time. I phoned the clinic to cancel and the scheduler gave me a new appointment the end of August- the closest available date. I phoned 2 other clinics and their closest available appointments were not until late October. Question: why don't more med school grads specialize in dermatology?

They say that squamous cell cancer is more insidious than malignant melanoma as it can quickly spread to the brain and liver. Speaking of brain cancer and with Joe Biden in the news, his son Beau died of brain cancer. I'm wondering if Beau had an SCC lesion and either never knew about it or didn't act soon enough.
So you had something else to do that was more important?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:08 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Question: why don't more med school grads specialize in dermatology?

In answer to the above, Dermatology is one of the most competitive residency programs to match into (along with Orthopedics, Plastics and maybe Neurosurgery). Only the very top medical school grads are able to go into Derm and almost all of those are allopathic grads (MD's), very rarely DO's. The reason is that it Derm is considered a "lifestyle" specialty because the hours are reasonable, it's pretty much clinic only (no inpatient work) and the income potential is very high because many physicians can, and will, do a cash only business. Additionally, there is only so much demand for Dermatologists, as opposed to GP's, for example, so there are invariably less training programs available.

As others have said, SCC's are generally slowly growing and non emergent, so you should be fine getting into see someone in a timeframe that's reaonable.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:45 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Quote:

Maybe you didn't realize it at the time, but you were lucky to get an appointment in just 3 days and given how anxious you are, I'm surprised you didn't reschedule your other plans. Since the appointment you rescheduled is with the clinic the PCP scheduled you with, I'd think that avenue is exhausted. It's now early July and since your appointment is now about 6-7 weeks away, that may be the earliest you're going to find.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Suck it up go to urgent care. I developed a rash on 40% of my body after retracing my steps I determined it was prob posion ivy. My GP was closed sat I was miserable and couldn’t wait until Monday no derm would see me sat. Don’t self diagnose you will drive you self crazy and most of the time it will be wrong. You could just have contact dermatitis aka any type of rash.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:19 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I did point out the lesion to my PCP and her office made an appointment with a large clinic about 50 miles away. There was a cancellation slot available in 3 days but I had something else planned for that time. I phoned the clinic to cancel
So, despite wanting someone to see you right away, you give up the appointment. Guess it really wasn't all that imperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness