Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 08:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times

Advertisements

I have been diagnosed a while back. I have Googled it to try to understand more about it. It is very unpleasant. The doctor indicated it isn't transferable from one person to another. All ages can develop it, from young children to older folks.

I am dealing with a bout of it past couple of days and is making life miserable.

Thank you for any info you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
It doesn't sound like much fun.

This is the first I've heard of it. I hope your doctor gave you some cortisone cream to help with the pain and itching.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have been diagnosed a while back. I have Googled it to try to understand more about it. It is very unpleasant. The doctor indicated it isn't transferable from one person to another. All ages can develop it, from young children to older folks.

I am dealing with a bout of it past couple of days and is making life miserable.

Thank you for any info you can share.
Do you mean lichen sclerosus? Caused by an overactive immune system?

I guess your doctor prescribed an ointment or something?

Any instructions for home care? In case you weren't told about foods to avoid and foods that might help with your particular condition: https://www.healthline.com/health/lichen-sclerosus-diet

Many people manage autoimmune conditions very well by making diet and lifestyle changes. It mentions the autoimmune protocol diet as well, if those food recommendations don't help.

Mayo Clinic has a little about home care: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20374452

This might be useful too for relieving symptoms: https://www.localharvest.org/blog/21...osus_naturally

Old 08-31-2020, 04:45 AM

33 posts, read 31,990 times
You need a doctor (gynecologist or dermatologist) who understands this condition. It’s an autoimmune disorder that requires very strong topical steroid medicine. Clobetasol is the gold standard. LS should be controlled as a small percentage of women can get vulvar cancer from this condition.

There are a few Facebook groups that might be helpful for you. I suggest checking those groups out than trying to find answers here. The groups have listing of doctors around the US who understand this condition. If your doctor doesn’t bring up clobetasol that would be a red flag to run.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 AM

Thank you for responding with information that I am sure will be helpful.

One of the side effects is fatigue and I have slept a lot over past few days. I have urge to lay down again, but trying to stay awake.

I am thinking of going back to my original Dermatologist. My current one and their office staff are not very helpful.

I've been wondering if I should see a different kind of doctor, but don't know.

The skin problem does not stay in one place. It's always "there" but does move around. This time on right eye lid and surrounding eye, on both sides of my nose.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:59 AM

33 posts, read 31,990 times
Quote:

One of the side effects is fatigue and I have slept a lot over past few days. I have urge to lay down again, but trying to stay awake.

I am thinking of going back to my original Dermatologist. My current one and their office staff are not very helpful.

The skin problem does not stay in one place. It's always "there" but does move around. This time on right eye lid and surrounding eye, on both sides of my nose.
If it’s on your face, it sounds like lichen planus (or something else) not LS. LS affects the outer genital and anus areas. If a doctor told you it’s lichen sclerosis on your face, that’s a red flag - run! Find a dermatologist who understands these skin conditions

Old 09-05-2020, 05:22 AM

14 posts, read 3,795 times
what is it about ?

Old 09-05-2020, 07:56 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:

I know nothing about this particular disease; but I do know a lot about auto-immune illnesses.

Serious, chronic autoimmune diseases should include a rheumatologist in the treatment team.

Second opinions are very, very, very valuable - and IMO and experience, absolutley necessary for any condition that is interfering with one's life and daily activities.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:25 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
If it’s on your face, it sounds like lichen planus (or something else) not LS. LS affects the outer genital and anus areas. If a doctor told you it’s lichen sclerosis on your face, that’s a red flag - run! Find a dermatologist who understands these skin conditions

I concur! I have it, just affects a small spot on my vulva. And while it is an autoimmune condition, it does not impact anything but that small spot--certainly not my energy level.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:22 AM

I had a flu shot a few days ago. I mentioned to the pharmacist that I had the LS and wondered if it was autoimmune. He looked it up before giving me the shot and he said he could not find anything that would connect the LS to autoimmune.

I'm not real happy with the dermatologist.

Will start looking for another one soon.

Maybe a different primary, too. Though I'm starting to think they don't take us older patients very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness