Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,221 times

Advertisements

I wanted to make a post after my experience with a kidney stone just in case someone else is in the same position I was in and needed some encouragement. I have had one single stone in my right kidney for at least ten years. The doctor told me it would likely never bother me but I would know if it moved. At the time of finding it, it was roughly a 4-5 mm stone. It has never caused me any pain, thank the Lord. I did over this past summer start having a lot of blood in my urine. After seeing my gynecologist and the urologist and having an ultrasound and CT scan, we discovered the stone was likely the cause and it had grown to 9x5 mm. The urologist explained a stone that size would not be able to pass on its own. He suggested Lithotripsy or another procedure needing a stent. After stressing and worrying and causing numerous anxiety attacks, I went for a second opinion. They agreed with my urologist and suggested I do something about it sooner than later since it could cause a blockage. I was petrified worrying about the pain of the procedure and after with passing. I have only heard horror stories. I am here to tell you, mine wasn’t bad at all! There isn’t always pain. I had the procedure last week with minimal back discomfort. I have already almost passed all fragments without any pain at all! I never felt them come out. Had I not been straining my urine, I wouldn’t have known. I realize my situation is my own and everyone is different but I wanted to make sure and tell all of you, if you’re worried or going through what I did, please don’t fret. It can go very well. Have faith. The only thing I can tell you to do is 1. Pray 2. Drink a TON of fluids 3. Jump, lunge, squat, move around to get things moving out. I hope this post helps at least one person to feel a little better in the midst of the unknown. Not all stories are bad ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
You're right, we are all different and our stones are different. I passed a monster at work with very little pain. It looked like it was 3/4 of an inch by 3/8 of an inch. But it was covered by a blood clot. Since it was a public urinal, I did not dive in to inspect it. Perhaps it was a small stone covered by a large clot? I will never know.

When you get a good look at these stones they are really sharp and you can easily see how they can get lodged in your tubes.

I glad you had a relatively painless delivery! That has not always been my experience!

Old 12-10-2020, 10:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,849 times
My mother had this -- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL) -- some years ago and the procedure is indeed essentially painless and nonintrusive, using soundwaves to shatter the stone so it can be passed easily.

Definitely a better option than surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheebz8 View Post
I wanted to make a post after my experience with a kidney stone just in case someone else is in the same position I was in and needed some encouragement. I have had one single stone in my right kidney for at least ten years. The doctor told me it would likely never bother me but I would know if it moved. At the time of finding it, it was roughly a 4-5 mm stone. It has never caused me any pain, thank the Lord. I did over this past summer start having a lot of blood in my urine. After seeing my gynecologist and the urologist and having an ultrasound and CT scan, we discovered the stone was likely the cause and it had grown to 9x5 mm. The urologist explained a stone that size would not be able to pass on its own. He suggested Lithotripsy or another procedure needing a stent. After stressing and worrying and causing numerous anxiety attacks, I went for a second opinion. They agreed with my urologist and suggested I do something about it sooner than later since it could cause a blockage. I was petrified worrying about the pain of the procedure and after with passing. I have only heard horror stories. I am here to tell you, mine wasn’t bad at all! There isn’t always pain. I had the procedure last week with minimal back discomfort. I have already almost passed all fragments without any pain at all! I never felt them come out. Had I not been straining my urine, I wouldn’t have known. I realize my situation is my own and everyone is different but I wanted to make sure and tell all of you, if you’re worried or going through what I did, please don’t fret. It can go very well. Have faith. The only thing I can tell you to do is 1. Pray 2. Drink a TON of fluids 3. Jump, lunge, squat, move around to get things moving out. I hope this post helps at least one person to feel a little better in the midst of the unknown. Not all stories are bad ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness