Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 01:03 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times

Advertisements

https://www.sciencealert.com/some-ma...-best-to-worst

Bottom of article, bandanas are next to useless, but better than nothing

Remember, masks are not just for your protection, they are for other's protection also

It is time to step up and be your "brother's keeper"

If you really think that you cant wear a mask, stay home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 01:26 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
Yeah, I've been wondering about all the fashion-statement masks around. I'm sure some are fine, some are slightly better than nothing. No mention of linen in the article- I bought a remnant at the fabric store and made two, one with double layers.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:00 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Couldn't rep you again Mike - I took a walk yesterday (figured it would be the last time for a while w/the weather predicted) - someone in the neighborhood I'd never met before came out of his house (I was on the sidewalk) - he talked and talked.... anyway, he said he keeps a bandanna in his car for when he goes out - I tried to explain to him but..........

Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Ooook there is one mention in there of the thing that matters:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.03444

This is why we're wearing masks, and it's also why a bandana is substantially better than nothing.

It's barely better than nothing at protecting the wearer - but that's not (mainly) why we're wearing masks.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Fortunately not every country has gone completely insane about masks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ings-work.html

"Holland's top scientists say there's no solid evidence coverings work and warn they could even damage the fight against Covid-19 ... 'Face masks in public places are not necessary, based on all the current evidence,' said Coen Berends, spokesman for the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. 'There is no benefit and there may even be negative impact'."

Instead of focusing on useless masks, Vitamin D intake should be promoted. The crisis could be over in only 30 days if Dr. Mercola is right about this.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...&rid=912489961

"the probability of developing COVID-19, and of dying from it, is negatively correlated with mean population vitamin D status, with both probabilities reaching zero above about 75 nmol/L," (30 ng/mL)"

Old 08-03-2020, 05:39 AM

"...widespread use of masks by healthy people..."

At this point, I have to believe many folks are intentionally interfering with logic to make things worse. Your link refers - as many do - to SELF-protection - which is not why people should wear them. No one knows who's healthy, and who isn't, so the safe move is to assume you're not healthy.

The Netherlands isn't exactly a shining star of Good Response: With 17 million people, and 6000 deaths - they're about the same as Ohio in deaths per million - and Ohio considers that awful.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Thanks so much for posting the link to that article, Mike. I'd rep you but I need to pass it around first.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:50 PM

This is ALSO in that link:

Even a loosely fitted cotton mask "substantially decreases" the spread of viral particles when an infected person coughs or sneezes, researchers in India recently determined

Old 08-03-2020, 06:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Fortunately not every country has gone completely insane about masks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ings-work.html

"Holland's top scientists say there's no solid evidence coverings work and warn they could even damage the fight against Covid-19 ... 'Face masks in public places are not necessary, based on all the current evidence,' said Coen Berends, spokesman for the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. 'There is no benefit and there may even be negative impact'."

Instead of focusing on useless masks, Vitamin D intake should be promoted. The crisis could be over in only 30 days if Dr. Mercola is right about this.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...&rid=912489961

"the probability of developing COVID-19, and of dying from it, is negatively correlated with mean population vitamin D status, with both probabilities reaching zero above about 75 nmol/L," (30 ng/mL)"
You cannot be serious. STAY HOME. Do not leave your house. You are a danger to others.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Thanks for the article. It should also be noted that there is natural silk and artificial silk. Natural silk is what they're recommending.

https://blog.lilysilk.com/silk-ident...reverse%20side.

I'm thinking of cutting up an old silk scarf and using it in the pocket of my cotton mask as a filter. I've read that if you are using a vacuum cleaner bag or filter in your mask to make sure it doesn't contain (I think it was fiberglass?) but I'm not sure how you could tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness