Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

What will these creative, visionary people come up with next?

(The crocheted ones look to me to be even MORE uncomfortable than the ones normal people are wearing. All the irritation of a face mask but none of the protection. Just so you can publicly announce that you're a jerk.)

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/i...jQ4jfRWjWxocG4

Old 07-17-2020, 11:01 AM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
I just read a medical article that said these cloth masks are useless and the worst someone can wear if they don't have a filter - but plenty of people believe it's helping them. Reg surgical masks are better than cloth.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I just read a medical article that said these cloth masks are useless and the worst someone can wear if they don't have a filter - but plenty of people believe it's helping them. Reg surgical masks are better than cloth.
Evidence is pointing the opposite way, in my opinion. People who are social distancing and wearing masks don't seem to be passing this around, and people who gather without masks or distancing are appearing to become infected.

It's not perfect - but it does seem that if EVERYONE in the building is masked, transmission is lessened.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:08 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Of course surgical masks are more effective than cloth , but the average American doesn't have access to surgical grade masks, do they?

The experiences of entire nations - Japan, Taiwan, etc. - prove the "useless" argument is completely in error.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:08 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,131,022 times
Why hasn't anyone designed test paper that can detect the presence of the coronavirus? It's been done in the military since after WWI to protect troops from airborne biological agents.

Plus I find it amusing that all the hard-core mask wearers perfectly accept people just throwing a cloth bandana over their mouth and nose and calling it good. If it were a real threat, a cloth bandana wouldn't be any protection. Like screen doors on a battle ship. But according to the hard-core mask wearers, a screen door on a battle ship works as effectively as cloth for the coronavirus, it works allowing air to move in only one direction. Much like those screen doors on a battle ship, they only allow water to flow through the screens in only one direction.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:09 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What will these creative, visionary people come up with next?

(The crocheted ones look to me to be even MORE uncomfortable than the ones normal people are wearing. All the irritation of a face mask but none of the protection. Just so you can publicly announce that you're a jerk.)

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/i...jQ4jfRWjWxocG4
Pretty much. Seems to be a lot of them.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Why hasn't anyone designed test paper that can detect the presence of the coronavirus? It's been done in the military since after WWI to protect troops from airborne biological agents.

Plus I find it amusing that all the hard-core mask wearers perfectly accept people just throwing a cloth bandana over their mouth and nose and calling it good. If it were a real threat, a cloth bandana wouldn't be any protection. Like screen doors on a battle ship.
It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

It seems the virus adheres to water droplets that are breathed and coughed out of people - and a bandana will catch the water you exhale. These things don't fly, as I understand it, they are expelled with water vapor from a person's mouth and lungs, and are carried where the water vapor carries them.

There are countless stories of people being in close contact (like hairdressers) with people who are infected, and if both are masks, the virus doesn't seem to spread.

Same way there are countless stories of people going to family reunions and now 8 of them are in the hospital.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:10 AM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Masks reduce the R rate. 1.0 is even. Even if masks fail 90% of the time they reduce transmission, stopping some aerosols and also reducing the velocity of your breath IE making your breath clouds smaller.

It is sad this is a political issue. Yeah I know, both sides spout fake news. Being anti mask is now seen as being a good Republican.

NOTHING makes it zero. Not even N95 masks. When the rate is below 1.0 the number of infections is decreasing. I linked an article that made estimates. The formulas were VERY long and would require a spreadsheet.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Nobody has ever claimed that any mask is 100% effective. Cloth masks are not useless, they are worn by people all over the world in countries that have been successful in reducing the spread of covid. They do prevent "some " of a person's sneeze germs from escaping.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Pretty much. Seems to be a lot of them.
m hmm.

I think we're just all at the frustration breaking point, and people just want to express anger and resentment.

I just don't remember a time when so many wanted to present themselves with a display of aggression and contempt.

I did see a woman wearing a sheer mask, you could see her face although it was covered by the filmy fabric. I thought at the time wow, how cool, to still be able to see her face, but now I realize she's wearing a mask on purpose that doesn't work. AND she was being an a**hole to a clerk, which is what attracted my attention to her in the first place.

Hoo, when will we be back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies