Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:58 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, wearing a mask or so we are told does nothing to protect us, it protects other who you come in contact with. That is the reason most of us do wear masks, so don't think the president became ill by not wearing a mask. He may have caused others to be exposed.

I am a supporter of the president, and I am praying for him and his family, but don't think the mask wearing has much to do with his lack of masks.
How do you think he got it in the first place? It is transmitted via droplets into peoples' mouths, noses, and to a lesser extent, eyes. Now granted, he also doesn't wear glasses so even if he was wearing a mask it's possible he is SO much more at risk than most people who are at risk, that he caught it through his eyes.

But in medicine as in many other things, you have to consider: when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.

It's also a corollary of Occam's Razor.

Basically - while it's possible he got it via his eyes, it's much more likely that he got it via his nose or mouth, as a direct result of refusing to wear a mask while in close proximity to people who ended up being diagnosed with the virus.

And THEY got it by not wearing masks, while in close proximity to OTHER people who were not wearing masks.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

So no - masks won't prevent 100%. But as the video in the OP's post shows - they REDUCE THE RISK. If you REFUSE to wear a mask, then you have ZERO risk reduction and are 100% exposed to anyone who is also not wearing a mask.

The more people who wear a mask, the lower your likelihood of catching the virus.

It's math, and it's very logical, practical, simple, uncomplicated.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

A lot of people may have already had it. They examined blood donation samples from 2015 to 2019 and found a high percentage had already been exposed. You can get reinfected with SARS 1.0 if it's been three years.
Covid-19 didn't exist prior to December, 2019. It is not possible for blood samples from 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, or most of 2019 to show ANY exposure to Covid-19. Zero, zilch, nada. It didn't exist yet. That's why it's named Covid-19. Because it was a (not THE - just A) coronavirus that didn't show up until 2019.

It is not SARS 1.0. It is SARS-CoV-2. It acts differently. You seem to imply in your post that you believe that all coronavirii are the same. Maybe you don't believe that but that's how your make it sound in your post.
Remember the "common cold" is a coronavirus.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I work pretty hard on my immunity. I'm pretty sure my whole office was infected in January. No one died, thankfully.
Don't be an overweight, sedentary person and preach on health issues. EVER.
Masks are killing who we are. Social manipulation. I hate them.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I work pretty hard on my immunity. I'm pretty sure my whole office was infected in January. No one died, thankfully.
Don't be an overweight, sedentary person and preach on health issues. EVER.
Masks are killing who we are. Social manipulation. I hate them.
Your overall immune system isn't a very good protection against a virus that exists very specifically to force your healthy immune system to start attacking itself.

Especially since you have no immunity against this specific virus. People who are otherwise healthy, have no immune problems, who don't normally get sick, get the flu, catch colds - DIED from this virus.

COVID-19 looks at your healthy awesome natural immune system and says, "I totally want a piece of THAT." and then promptly takes out its fork and knife, and tucks in its bib.

You can reduce your risk by:
washing your hands
wearing a mask
social distancing.

Or you can throw caution to the wind and roll the dice.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Your overall immune system isn't a very good protection against a virus that exists very specifically to force your healthy immune system to start attacking itself.

Especially since you have no immunity against this specific virus. People who are otherwise healthy, have no immune problems, who don't normally get sick, get the flu, catch colds - DIED from this virus.

COVID-19 looks at your healthy awesome natural immune system and says, "I totally want a piece of THAT." and then promptly takes out its fork and knife, and tucks in its bib.

You can reduce your risk by:
washing your hands
wearing a mask
social distancing.

Or you can throw caution to the wind and roll the dice.
You can also reduce your risk by maintaining a normal weight and ensuring that you have adequate vitamin D levels. Most people who get covid are able to recover due to their own immune system. Most people don’t die from covid.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:38 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Nurses have worked in Covid units with masks on and have not gotten sick yet. How do you explain that?

Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Nurses have worked in Covid units with masks on and have not gotten sick yet. How do you explain that?
None of the nurses who worked with covid patients got sick? Are you sure about that?

Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You can also reduce your risk by maintaining a normal weight and ensuring that you have adequate vitamin D levels. Most people who get covid are able to recover due to their own immune system. Most people don’t die from covid.

Yes they recover but we do not know the long term effects of having SARS-Cov-2.
Many people have lung damage after recovery. Some have damaged heart muscle.Some have lingering symptoms even after recovery,post Covid syndrome

So yes they recovered from it,but at what costs?

Old 10-05-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
None of the nurses who worked with covid patients got sick? Are you sure about that?
Some did,but the vast majority of us have not.

I was personally in a Covid 19 room with a surgical mask on,and i did not get sick. My immune system is weak btw.
The patient was diagnosed with it,but no N95 masks were available. I wore the surgical mask,gown,plastic cap,plastic shield,and shoe covers.No goggles.
This was in early April,in a NJ nursing home.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
[/u][/b]

Yes they recover but we do not know the long term effects of having SARS-Cov-2.
Many people have lung damage after recovery. Some have damaged heart muscle.Some have lingering symptoms even after recovery,post Covid syndrome

So yes they recovered from it,but at what costs?
We don’t know the long term implications of distancing, masking, restrictions, lockdowns, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness