Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 05:00 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,162,667 times

Advertisements

From Dr. Emily Oster, a professor who specializes in data-driven approaches to decision-making.

All Your COVID-19 Questions, Answered
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ed/ar-BB16XI1M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 06:53 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,905,409 times
Ok, I'm not going to nitpick the details, and thank you for posting that - but it's from July. The data is from BEFORE July.

3 months may not seem long - but in COVID time, it's quite a while. And much of that information is dated, updated, confirmed, or completely wrong. I cannot recommend that link at the moment - too much has changed. The main thing - very early one - the gave me pause - was this phrase:

fatality rates among everyone who is hospitalized, even younger people, are very high.

That was true, once upon time (their data is from June or earlier). No longer. Now, it's quite low. I would hate for someone to see that site as their ONLY reference - and then change their life based on that info. It's simply incorrect now.

There are many - many - sources of reliable info, and C-D is probably NOT one of them - except to recommend that you read the most recent data from the CDC (or equivalent in other nations) to see the latest.

Of course, if you believe it's a large conspiracy, and the CDC is in on it, then that won't help you. If you're a normal person, though, it'll get you where you need to be.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:30 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,629,874 times
You have to take the full sentence. The fatality rate is high if you require hospitalization.

It's about 8 percent now. It used to be over 25 percent. There was a shortage of hospital beds in the Spring. It could easily go back up if the patients can't get treatment or access to the ICU.

Even if you take just the very young, the fatality rate among those hospitalized is 10x higher than flu.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:44 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,905,409 times
The fatality rate is high if you require hospitalization.

I read the whole sentence. And I'm saying - it's not "high" in the sense the author meant. There are many - many - other points of outdated info in that article. It's not a "bad" article - and it was great at the time (JUNE) - but it is inadequate - and in same cases wrong - today.

Today's hospital death percent is about 2.5%, provable a number of ways with public data, 30 seconds of thought*, or several peer reviewed papers.

I'm not arguing that the disease isn't serious - it is. I'm just saying - that link is outdated.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:13 AM

23,918 posts, read 33,748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The fatality rate is high if you require hospitalization.

I read the whole sentence. And I'm saying - it's not "high" in the sense the author meant. There are many - many - other points of outdated info in that article. It's not a "bad" article - and it was great at the time (JUNE) - but it is inadequate - and in same cases wrong - today.

Today's hospital death percent is about 2.5%, provable a number of ways with public data, 30 seconds of thought*, or several peer reviewed papers.

I'm not arguing that the disease isn't serious - it is. I'm just saying - that link is outdated.
Thanks for your posts. I agree 3 months is a long time with what we know and don't know about COVID.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,162,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for your posts. I agree 3 months is a long time with what we know and don't know about COVID.
I did hesitate to post it, since I saw it had been awhile, and the information and protocol changes - but I read it over and I thought there was much that was still useful. And I appreciate the calm approach.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:49 AM

23,918 posts, read 33,748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I did hesitate to post it, since I saw it had been awhile, and the information and protocol changes - but I read it over and I thought there was much that was still useful. And I appreciate the calm approach.
As I said in my original rep, there was useful info in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness