Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 01:57 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I have been sleeping with a backrest pillow so I keep an upright position with a small pillow under my right arm—
I don’t move around as much as I would if I were lying down and could try to roll over in my sleep

I take Advid and Extra Strength Tylenol which is what my ortho recommended
Neither my PCP or the ortho proscribed anything stronger
I found that ibuprofen worked best when I injure or reinjure it, but aspirin worked better after 1 or 2 days since it improves blood flow. Massaging it also has the same effect of improving blood flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 08:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Fan View Post
Make sure you talk to your Physical Therapist about the issues that you're having while sleeping. Before I had my surgery and was going through PT, the therapist used cupping on my shoulder and that seemed to help relieve some of the pain so I was able to sleep at night. I tend to toss and turn a lot at night so having a bad shoulder was really effecting my sleep. Good luck.
Isn’t cupping a little out of the ordinary?
I don’t see my PT people doing anything like that when I go
Most of the people don’t get touched by their PTs
Like I said I get a massage type thing after the exercises to relief stress/tight points and assess my range of motion

I wish they would do my neck and across my back—
Very tense and stiff
Have never been to chiropractor but my daughter swears by it
Has foot and lower back issues

Old 11-10-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Fan View Post
Make sure you talk to your Physical Therapist about the issues that you're having while sleeping. Before I had my surgery and was going through PT, the therapist used cupping on my shoulder and that seemed to help relieve some of the pain so I was able to sleep at night. I tend to toss and turn a lot at night so having a bad shoulder was really effecting my sleep. Good luck.
Like I said I get a massage type thing after the exercises to relief stress/tight points and assess my range of motion

Very tense and stiff

Will Medicare cover Chiropractor for something like this?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:58 PM

I think the protocol is ibuprofen, cold pack, and rest when you initially injure or after each reinjury. Then you use aspirin, heating pad, and massage. Heat will relax the muscles and tendons so the massage will be real easy.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:57 PM

43 posts, read 61,809 times
Quote:

Very tense and stiff
It was the first time I had cupping during PT. The clinic that I went to also does dry needling and laser treatments in addition to regular PT. I don't like take pain meds, unless I absolutely have to, so I was pleased to discover that the cupping helped. I had the dry needling done on a knee after tearing the meniscus, but I wasn't thrilled with that treatment.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:45 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Oct 7 I fell coming out of a tent while camping and dislocated (at least partially) my right shoulder. Was in very rural Alabama —was able to get shoulder back in socket—husband drove us home to TX (all day trip) after packing up and I went to my PCP the next day. I had no lost of strength in hand or fingers—really not too much pain unless I tried to extend the arm and use it in certain way.
Had X-ray and MRI that showed partial tear and the fact of the dislocation
Saw an Orthopedist who wrote RX for PT—said tear/damage was too minimal to require surgery
So Started going to PT—
I have been having terrible pain at night for the past wk or so—
Wakes me up—tried sleeping in various positions to get more relief—

This was not an issue earlier—before the PT which didn’t start until more than 2 wks after the injury
Had trouble getting earlier appt w/orthopedist==called the ortho office this past Fri and was told it was normal for this to happen during recovery
Didn’t suggest I needed another MRI or offer any heavier pain med for sleeping at night

I understand that doing the PT itself would cause more pain—and likely for while after
But this pain comes at night when sometimes I had little pain during the day
I take Advil and EXtra strength Tylenol — dr didn’t offer anything stronger and at that time pain for any meaningful duration wasn’t an issue for me

Have never had an injury like this before and I am 72–have good bone density—no issues with weak bones

What gives?

IS this normal? Is the injury maybe more serious than was diagnosed?
I have almost a full range of motion now and depending on the angle/movement there is not much pain when doing PT—but I still have to caution when using my right arm and I can tell it is not back to normal
Now I think the PT will be working for strength—used some light weights on Friday—
But I can’t see myself being very happy if this pain at night persists
If you sleep on your side put a pillow so that your shoulder remains level. You may need to buy one of those big body pillows. I have shoulder pain and I sleep on my stomach with another pillow beside me and put my arm up on the pillow so it is level with my back.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:00 AM

You can also buy a memory foam or latex mattress topper.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:20 PM

So I have been going to physical therapy since I posted except for wk before thanksgiving when I had a tooth go bad and had to have a root canal done
I went three times Thanksgiving week and will go again tomorrow
I think my range of motion is worse
I had pain trying to use my shoulder this weekend and can’t move it as well as I did
I have been reading on Internet and I think the PT place I go might be too aggressive with my treatment
Some of the things they ask me to do are frankly painful and hurt like anything
I feel like a wuss when I say that doing “this” hurts—but lot of time it really does and then when I go home I have residual pain/discomfort.

I am using heating pad and while that feels good when I stop the discomfort can still be there...
I see the ortho on Wed for a follow up
Should I press for another MRI to check for progress/damage since the first MRI?
I want to know if this PT plan has set back my progress

Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You can also buy a memory foam or latex mattress topper.
I have one

Old 11-30-2020, 01:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
My sister managed to injure both her shoulders, at different times. (She's an RN and did a lot of lifting.)

Along with the usual measures, she tried acupressure, and she said it helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness