Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 10:55 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,072,267 times

Advertisements

I was prescribed Symbicort for asthma six or seven years ago, as I recall. I was telling my new pulmonologist that it was one of my meds and she said, "Do you really need that?"

I get it: My breathing is good, I aced the pulmonary function test and I'm at 100% O2 sat. I don't know how to answer the question, though.

This may sound stupid, but how do I find out if I "really need that"? I still have asthma but now that my cats have all gone to heaven, it doesn't get triggered.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 04:25 AM

15,128 posts, read 12,306,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was prescribed Symbicort for asthma six or seven years ago, as I recall. I was telling my new pulmonologist that it was one of my meds and she said, "Do you really need that?"

I get it: My breathing is good, I aced the pulmonary function test and I'm at 100% O2 sat. I don't know how to answer the question, though.

This may sound stupid, but how do I find out if I "really need that"? I still have asthma but now that my cats have all gone to heaven, it doesn't get triggered.

Thanks for any help.
Honestly that's a question for your doctor. There might be other things that trigger your asthma out there that would make themselves known if you stopped taking any maintenance medication, or your asthma could be triggered in the event you come down with a respiratory illness. But perhaps there is another medication that you could use for maintenance of your asthma that isn't an inhaled cortocosteroid, and you could also be prescribed an inhaled rescue medication ( if you aren't already) that you could use in the event of an asthma attack.

I say this as my daughter was diagnosed with asthma in her early teens. She took Singulair tablets ( there is a generic form of that now) for years, it controlled her symptoms very well, so well she decided she didn't need it anymore. Her asthma symptoms returned, they were mild, but her lung function went down and she had a couple doozies of attacks triggered by who knows what, including viral respiratory illnesses. She was advised by her doctor to resume the Singular, she did and her asthma has been better since then. She has tried other meds as well, but finds the Singulair is the best medication for her, for control of the asthma.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,237,337 times
I think this is something a good doctor can, and should, be monitoring. And not just monitoring, but proactively addressing at annual visits. More than just going over lists of medications with more than just the passing question "do you still take X?" that the Nurse/MA asks when rooming you.

I also think it's helpful that whenever possible, your doctors should be part of the same health system so all this information is at each and every one of their fingertips. I know that's not always possible, however.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:07 AM

22,699 posts, read 24,751,407 times
This is a good question........maybe especially so for people who have been taking a bunch of different meds for years.

Probably start by asking your doctor.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 PM

23,584 posts, read 19,363,008 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help.
I have had trouble with asthma flareups over the years but only used an inhaled steroid "maintenance" type med for a few specific periods. Multiple triggers which influence/compound each other and thus makes it more complex. The problem is, if you've been using it as a maintenance med, you may be acing the tests because of it. Ask your doc how long you'd need to stop using it in order for it to not influence the tests. Maybe repeat some allergy testing to see what sensitivities exist now...they can change a lot during your life. Bloodwork could also show evidence too (such as eosinophils).

Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 991,999 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help.
My friends husband was on Dialysis for about 3-4 years , 3 days a week I think to the clinic , he had a dizzy spell one night wife took he to ER , kept him overnight but telling the nurse next day he needed to get to his dialysis , she said why , your tests are fine , the clinic told him ,Oh! We knew you were better we just wanted to wait longer to tell you , now he wondered if he needed it it the first place .

Last edited by Senior7; 11-25-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 06:42 PM

17,771 posts, read 13,577,264 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help.

The simple answer is when you don't need it anymore!

Many people can take drug holidays on long term meds to see if they really need to stay on the drug. Not recommended for heart and BP meds.

I took myself off Symbacort this year and didn't need it. When MrsM was at our pulmonologist I told him and he said a lot of patients (due to quarantining and avoiding others) didn't need their breathing meds this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness