Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 04:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't think they understand why some get sick enough to die from this and some don't. Not clear cut. Yes, co-morbidities like obesity, DM type 2, COPD, advanced age can incr. risk of getting sick and dying.

But, younger, even healthy people have died from this. There's an unpredictable quality to this that makes it scary.
it's not scary.

The media keeps telling you that over and over and over and over and over...

Anxiety and fear are ruling your life.... you cough OMG!!!! I coughed!!! DO I HAVE COVID?????

The terror intensifies .... OMG I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!

Then you realize you just needed a drink of water.

Stop. Being. Terrified.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't think they understand why some get sick enough to die from this and some don't. Not clear cut. Yes, co-morbidities like obesity, DM type 2, COPD, advanced age can incr. risk of getting sick and dying.

But, younger, even healthy people have died from this. There's an unpredictable quality to this that makes it scary.
Bingo. This is what is scary about it to me.
There is a poster on this site who said he got it, and he said he is healthy, excercises/workouts daily. He said that he got it from his wife (who got it from someone at work). He said something to the effect of, "COVID has done things to his body that are hard to describe in words." I hope he is ok because he last posted a few weeks ago, saying he was hoping he was over the worst of it, but I have not seen him post since.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Bingo. This is what is scary about it to me.
There is a poster on this site who said he got it, and he said he is healthy, excercises/workouts daily. He said that he got it from his wife (who got it from someone at work). He said something to the effect of, "COVID has done things to his body that are hard to describe in words." I hope he is ok because he last posted a few weeks ago, saying he was hoping he was over the worst of it, but I have not seen him post since.
I'm more afraid of getting run over in the parking lot at the grocery store. But it doesn't stop me from going to the grocery store, nor do I obsess about it.

Healthy people can get sick and can die at any time. It happens. Has ZERO to do with COVID.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm more afraid of getting run over in the parking lot at the grocery store. But it doesn't stop me from going to the grocery store, nor do I obsess about it.

Healthy people can get sick and can die at any time. It happens. Has ZERO to do with COVID.
Right, but with COVID, it's the infectious nature that is different. If you walk into a crowd, go to a party, go to a get together, and don't take very stringent precautions, you would be at very high risk of catching COVID due to the way it spreads. There's never been an infectious disease in our lifetime that has had this level of morbidity, and been able to spread so inconspicuously like this (many times by asymptomatics). Also, given that we don't know the longterm effects and the random way it effects some people, is what makes it scary.

You can get sick from lots of diseases and die. But few if any of those diseases can you get by sitting in a restaurant or going to a small dinner. You can die by getting hit by a car, struck by lighting, etc too. But to know that there is a good chance you can catch a virus that can be very damaging anytime you are around people, is a different beast for those reasons.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:04 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I work at a hospital in NYC.

I rode the bus to work, took a cramped elevator ride up 11 floors through the first wave and up until today. People on my floor were diagnosed with the virus.

I dont have it. I have not been exposed to it. Both the virus test, and the anti-body test came back non-reactive, when I finally took them - antibody in September and PCR test in November.

How can any kind of calculator possibly predict me and my experience with COVID?

That said - there are very intelligent infectious disease experts that say, rather rightly, a PCR test cannot be used to make a diagnosis. A PCR test is used to support a clinical diagnosis only.

How can we put that statement into a scenario most of us can understand....

You have a drink with dinner. Two hours later you are driving home and you hit an alcohol check point. An officer has you use a Breathalyzer, and you hit! You are reactive! .01 - you are NOT drunk! You are not infected with alcohol! The officer sends you on your way.

Coronavirus has been around as long as man has. Just like man, it evolves. This is how it is able to continue to stay with us all these hundreds and thousands of years. It passes amongst people, and animals, and that doesnt mean we all get an infection.

There are experts saying we are handling it wrong - inflating the numbers with improper testing and creating hysteria needlessly.

I dont know if they are right, but they are just as intelligent as anyone who claims they are wrong.

How can I be calculated? Ground zero essential worker for the first wave of Covid in the US. Infected people all around me. Initially close contact with hundreds of people both on public transportation and at my daily job and Im not exposed or infected...how?

Isnt this calculator more conducive to creating more hysteria?

Old 12-07-2020, 08:12 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
It is mild.

Just because 1 area may have more cases than other doesn't change that. At all.

Stop being terrified. Anxiety and fear kill your immune system.

It's mild. 98-99% recovery rate. Stop dwelling on the fear. Stop obsessing over the deaths in the old, immunocopmroimsed with multiple comorbidities. Just. Stop.

Get busy living or get busy dying. Pick one.
Stop assuming that everyone who correctly recognizes this virus as a serious
public health concern is “terrified”.

An individuals choice isn’t black or white either. Most people are not taking one extreme of completely ignoring precautions or holing up like a hermit.

It’s NOT mild. No country in the world is taking that stance, so that should be a clue
you’re off base.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
It is mild.

Just because 1 area may have more cases than other doesn't change that. At all.

Stop being terrified. Anxiety and fear kill your immune system.

It's mild. 98-99% recovery rate. Stop dwelling on the fear. Stop obsessing over the deaths in the old, immunocopmroimsed with multiple comorbidities. Just. Stop.

Get busy living or get busy dying. Pick one.
It is not just these groups. There has been death, long-term side effects, and people battling in the ICU who are young, "healthy", and don't have multiple co-morbidities and are not immunocompromised.

The deaths have been relatively low for all groups, including the old.

It's the potential long-term side effects and being in the ICU and the morbid symptoms that worry people.

I am young, healthy, eat right, take vitamins, and exercise everyday, but I don't want to even take the chance of getting COVID. I would not be too worried about death, but wouldn't want to deal with the symptoms, possibly being in the ICU, or long-term side effects.

So I will continue to play it safe until I'm vaccinated.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 AM

136 posts, read 98,389 times
This covid thing is nothing to play with. Why it effects one and kills and another barely sick. That is what makes it scary! My husband got covid weeks ago, we both tested, he was positive and I was negative. He thankfully didn't get bad, but was sick. I on the otherhand was fine. I did sanitize like crazy! Anything he touched, I sanitized it first before I touched it! I cleaned the bathroom with a mask and gloves on! I prepared any food he wanted and would not go near him without a mask. I do believe that I escaped getting the covid, tho I can't be 100 percent sure. The reason I believe that I didn't get it is because I'm an asthmatic and this time of year is bad for me, if I got covid it would have made my asthma out of control. To be fair, I have been on meds that they use to treat covid and that possibly could have worked in my favor, but I can't be sure. Yes, I did quarantine myself also to keep others safe. I finally get to go see my mom for the first time since it happened and I'm going to wear a mask around her for extra precaution!

Old 12-08-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Stop assuming that everyone who correctly recognizes this virus as a serious
public health concern is “terrified”.

An individuals choice isn’t black or white either. Most people are not taking one extreme of completely ignoring precautions or holing up like a hermit.

It’s NOT mild. No country in the world is taking that stance, so that should be a clue
you’re off base.
If it wasn't mild, half the country would be dead. We're still here.

tell me I'm off base again.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It is not just these groups. There has been death, long-term side effects, and people battling in the ICU who are young, "healthy", and don't have multiple co-morbidities and are not immunocompromised.

The deaths have been relatively low for all groups, including the old.

It's the potential long-term side effects and being in the ICU and the morbid symptoms that worry people.

I am young, healthy, eat right, take vitamins, and exercise everyday, but I don't want to even take the chance of getting COVID. I would not be too worried about death, but wouldn't want to deal with the symptoms, possibly being in the ICU, or long-term side effects.

So I will continue to play it safe until I'm vaccinated.
Data on long-term effects are just being collected. They are not conclusive at ALL.

People seriously do not understand science anymore.

What percent of those who died had no comorbidities?
What percent of people who had COVID and were sick had no comorbidities?

Why aren't those numbers common knowledge?

Because they would remove all FEAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.