Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Amazing isn't it that flights are happening everyday, no shutdowns. Huh. I guess COVID is afraid of flying?
They are flying at a lower capacity and fewer times.
People are stupid. They think they are immune to getting the virus and do all kinds of risky behavior. Hospitals are being over run and the death toll keeps climbing higher and higher.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
MIT researchers have built a simple tool to give clear guidelines on indoor safety in the midst of a pandemic.

This answers a lot of questions that have been posted here for the past 9 months
THANK YOU! And if it has not been done already, I think this should be posted on ALL the Covid threads. (I think more people read the Current Events "General Covid Discussion" thread more than any other.)

And here is a very short summary article for "science dummies" like myself:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...doors/2245381/

From the article (quote): "For example, in a restaurant, the model projects that 50 occupants would be safe for two hours, while 100 people would be safe for only 64 minutes. Current general social distancing guidelines suggest 138 people would be safe in the same size of space for an indefinite amount of time, the research notes.

"Similarly, the model suggests that two people would be safe for eight days in a church, 25 occupants would be protected for four hours, and 100 people would be safe for only two hours. However, guidelines for merely staying six feet apart indicate 52 people would be safe in that setting for an unlimited period of time." (end quote)

So, it seems that my husband and I have personally done nothing "wrong" in the past almost-nine-months-and-counting.

Btw, I wonder if the researchers (and note that it has not yet been peer reviewed!) addressed someone being safe in a closed conference room with an infected person for ten minutes, which is what I read somewhere early in this pandemic and others have questioned. (If so, would someone tell me the answer to that, please and thank you?)

Last edited by katharsis; 12-03-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
A short summary article for "science dummies" like myself:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...doors/2245381/

From the article (quote): "For example, in a restaurant, the model projects that 50 occupants would be safe for two hours, while 100 people would be safe for only 64 minutes. Current general social distancing guidelines suggest 138 people would be safe in the same size of space for an indefinite amount of time, the research notes.

"Similarly, the model suggests that two people would be safe for eight days in a church, 25 occupants would be protected for four hours, and 100 people would be safe for only two hours. However, guidelines for merely staying six feet apart indicate 52 people would be safe in that setting for an unlimited period of time."

So, my husband and I have personally done nothing "wrong" in the past almost-eight-months-and-counting. I do wonder if according to the researches (and note that it has not yet been peer reviewed!) addressed people being safe in a closed room for ten (or fifteen) minutes question yet, however? (If so, can someone post the answer, please and thank you?)
Too bad you really cannot boil it all down to numbers. COVID is a novel virus and even though the 'experts' like to put it in probability terms it is still entirely possible to get it and spread it and have someone or yourself die from it. Risky behavior should be stopped. People need to wear masks when they go out and limit their time away from home.
Churches should NOT be holding indoor services.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:36 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
And in other news, the CDC has shortened the quarantine time:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...-test/2245663/

Old 12-03-2020, 09:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
If you're in an enclosed space, such as a restaurant or a gym, air flow is more important than distance.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/stat...31904640131087

Old 12-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And in other news, the CDC has shortened the quarantine time:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...-test/2245663/
That is a bit good news but it still doesn't mean people should be gathering in indoor spaces.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:04 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Thanks Mike, planning an outdoor wedding with a large barn on the property, this will help us set up safe "inside" time limits.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are flying at a lower capacity and fewer times.
People are stupid. They think they are immune to getting the virus and do all kinds of risky behavior. Hospitals are being over run and the death toll keeps climbing higher and higher.
They are flying. Right? Right.

Closed cabin rebreathing the same air? For hours at a time?

Check, check and check.

But outdoor dining is bad.

Everyone knows that if you fly to NJ you do NOT have to quarantine if it's for BUSINESS, right? Because COVID stays away from business travelers.

Yep. It's true. Go look it up.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Closed cabin rebreathing the same air? For hours at a time?

Nope. Don't be so stubborn. The air on modern planes is replaced quite frequently. Data does NOT show a great deal of increased transmission from airline travel. It just - does not. Contact tracing bears it out. Airplanes - the plane itself - is just not the best path for this virus.
Now - waiting in line to check in, or sitting at starbucks, or whatever - different story.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:33 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Most domestic flights aren't a huge vector of transmission.
If you absolutely have to fly right now, here’s how to do it as safely as possible:
https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...el-safety-tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.