Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times

Advertisements

Is the cough and phlemn associated with my pot smoking weed considered bronchitis? According to the criteria on the web if you cough more than once a day with phlem, for over three months or so, it's chronic, and degenerative, which sounds so serious. But coughing and such from smoking weed is very common. I guess the idea is that not everyone who has bronchitis ends up with emphezema or COPD. But now there is covid to worry about too.

When I quit smoking last spring for seven weeks and started swimming at the pool, it went away completely. Then covid happened and I"m having a hard time quitting completely. Even when I stop for a few days now, the coughing lets up. The more I smoke the more I cough, and I smoke such a small amount. I started filtering my pipe which actually helps quite a bit. I am 52 and have been smoking on and off for since I was 13. My brother same, who smokes from water pipe and never coughs. Also, we are both relatively athletic, I jog regularly now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
The more I smoke the more I cough

There's your answer.

Try edibles instead?

Old 12-07-2020, 04:16 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Is the cough and phlemn associated with my pot smoking weed considered bronchitis? According to the criteria on the web if you cough more than once a day with phlem, for over three months or so, it's chronic, and degenerative, which sounds so serious. But coughing and such from smoking weed is very common. I guess the idea is that not everyone who has bronchitis ends up with emphezema or COPD. But now there is covid to worry about too.

When I quit smoking last spring for seven weeks and started swimming at the pool, it went away completely. Then covid happened and I"m having a hard time quitting completely. Even when I stop for a few days now, the coughing lets up. The more I smoke the more I cough, and I smoke such a small amount. I started filtering my pipe which actually helps quite a bit. I am 52 and have been smoking on and off for since I was 13. My brother same, who smokes from water pipe and never coughs. Also, we are both relatively athletic, I jog regularly now.
Technically, bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial passages. The cause could be a bacterial, fungal, or viral infection or inhaling irritants such as smoke. It can be acute or chronic. If you expose your respiratory system to smoke, no matter WHAT kind of smoke it is, you are constantly irritating your bronchial passages as well as your lungs. The intensity of the ongoing inflammatory response can come and go especially if there are other things contributing to it at a particular time. Because of chronic bronchitis you will be more vulnerable to respiratory infections.

If you want to keep your respiratory tract healthier, don't put smoke into it. Quibbling about the length of time you've smoked, how frequently, or how many times a day you cough doesn't change the facts. It's just quibbling. Pretty simple OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-07-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 07:48 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
Yes, thinking about edibles, but then I'll probably start worrying about the effects on the stomach. There are probably 18 reasons to quit and 14 reasons not to; it's been harder during the pandemic.

Pernisia -You are mostly correct in your facts but labeling my worry as 'quibbling' is rather dismissive, not to mention counterproductive --and not particularly effective character traits when it comes to providing advice and helping others.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Maybe try a non-combustion vape-pen. I have one and it is quite smooth, a lot less harsh than smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness