Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no. It was offered beginning a few weeks ago. we were in the first round to receive since I work in a medical center. i declined, as it is a health risk for me. i don't get the flu shot either for the same reason it is a health risk for me. over 35 years ago, my doctor told me never to get a flu shot EVER because i became so ill the one time i took it. since then i have never had a flu shot, and i have never gotten the flu as it is a health risk. i decline the covid vaccine for the same reason.
Sounds like a good reason not to get it. I'd wondered about people who tested positive, had the virus, symptomatic or not, getting the vaccine. It seemed to me they were recommending that even people who had had the virus be immunized anyway, but it didn't make much sense to me for people who had antibodies against the covid ( and most likely T cell lymphocytes "primed" to direct production of more anti-covid antibodies upon subsequent exposure to the virus) to get the vaccine. After all, the purpose of any vaccine is to mimic exposure to the specific pathogen, and initiate T cell activation ( for a viral pathogen) and antibody production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
My fiancé & I isolated ourselves & both worked from home without going anywhere for over 4 wks before the test for our travel. He was negative & I have had not one symptom. IMO the only thing that makes sense is a false positive. I’ve talked to the doctors I work for & they think the same....so I’m going to take the antibody test.

They have said it’s not likely that both of us would have such super immune systems & that it’s more likely it was a false positive.
you could have had it months before you ever went into quarantine, and with no symptoms.
if you have been quarantined for 14 days with no symptoms, then you are cleared and not contagious.

that doesn't mean they will let you travel, because countries can set whatever travel restrictions they want. but people are being cleared to return to work yes in medical centers, yes with direct patient care responsibilities, with positive test results, as long as they take precautions (mask + distance + hand washing) and have no symptoms after 14 days quarantine. because after that they are not contagious

Old 01-17-2021, 06:25 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
you could have had it months before you ever went into quarantine, and with no symptoms.

It would still mean that my fiancé & I have to have the best immunities ever because we have lived together since fall 2019.. It’s not just me that thinks it’s a false positive. I’ll know for sure when I take the antibody test tho...next week.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
It would still mean that my fiancé & I have to have the best immunities ever because we have lived together since fall 2019.. It’s not just me that thinks it’s a false positive. I’ll know for sure when I take the antibody test tho...next week.
except no, an antibody test is not reliable for determining if someone tests positive for Covid.
why not just test again and see if it is positive or negative?

Old 01-17-2021, 07:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I received the results of another test, came back negative. So I either had a very short infection, or a false positive. Here is the timeline of my tests (all done or mandated by my employer; believe me, I don't like getting tested this often!)

Monday: swabbed, results negative on Tuesday.
Friday: swabbed, results positive received the following Monday.
Monday: based on Friday's results, went in for another swab; results came back Wednesday negative.

Getting another test tomorrow at the office, we'll see. They are asking me to stay in the car and the Dr. will come out to the parking lot and tickle my brain, should have clarity by next Monday as to whether it was a false positive.

I have no, or nearly no symptoms. I'm tired and a little nasally, but it's mid-winter so hard to say whether that's out of the ordinary- dry air + short days normally do that too.
Test results came back- positive. So at this point it's safe to say that I have Covid. The tests and retests were just trivia- I've been isolating even from my family, and the CDC guidelines aren't based on retests, though my office made it clear that I should stay remote until the tests start coming back negative.

I had my first symptom yesterday- lost taste and smell. It's been over a week since my first positive test, so that's interesting. Still no other symptoms, and hopefully that's the last of them. My next test is this upcoming Friday, so we'll see how long until it's out of my system. Again, just trivia at this point.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
except no, an antibody test is not reliable for determining if someone tests positive for Covid.
why not just test again and see if it is positive or negative?

Antibody tests aren’t for determining if I have covid now tho...it’s to take weeks after what my exposure would have been to see if I ever really had it. Regular covid testing tho...is the most accurate when you have symptoms or during the 1st week or 2 after you would have gotten it..AND that is neither for me, especially since I never had any symptoms. I wouldn’t have tested if it wasn’t for travel requirements. So....

Two positives on 2 different types of tests would convince me tho...but...I’m like 98% sure it will be negative.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
IMO the numbers will get better because of vaccines tho. It’s not like the holidays last year AND Easter isn’t as big of a holiday as Thanksgiving..Christmas..or New Year’s for grps of ppl.
For people with kids, Easter is a very big holiday. My town usually does an egg hunt, so do all of the churches around here. With everything canceled last year, people were organizing their own, some with just their families, including siblings and grandparents, some did it with their neighbors; hopefully wearing masks.

Quote:
Please update us because I'm waiting to see no antibodies...

Would you take the vaccine if offered to you?

Quote:
My fiancé & I isolated ourselves & both worked from home without going anywhere for over 4 wks before the test for our travel. He was negative & I have had not one symptom. IMO the only thing that makes sense is a false positive. I’ve talked to the doctors I work for & they think the same....so I’m going to take the antibody test.

They have said it’s not likely that both of us would have such super immune systems & that it’s more likely it was a false positive.
I can't see how you had a positive test since you weren't going out because you were getting married; you didn't want anything ruining your wedding plans so you were super careful. You figured if anything happened it would be that your travel plans would get ruined due to flights being canceled.

How did you get COVID not going out for 4 weeks? Through the vents in your apartment if it applies? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds like a good reason not to get it. I'd wondered about people who tested positive, had the virus, symptomatic or not, getting the vaccine. It seemed to me they were recommending that even people who had had the virus be immunized anyway, but it didn't make much sense to me for people who had antibodies against the covid ( and most likely T cell lymphocytes "primed" to direct production of more anti-covid antibodies upon subsequent exposure to the virus) to get the vaccine. After all, the purpose of any vaccine is to mimic exposure to the specific pathogen, and initiate T cell activation ( for a viral pathogen) and antibody production.
I'm in total agreement with you. Why vaccinate someone who's already had COVID?

One poster in the retirement section said his sister and her roommate (in a nursing home) had gotten the 1st vaccine. The roommate had to go to the hospital where she caught COVID, when she was discharged, she wasn't isolated, brought back to his sisters room, so his sister caught it. He said they're due to get the 2nd vaccine in a week or 2 and will update us.

My opinion? They want these people as test subjects since it's super easy to cross reference positive tests with who's been vaccinated.

As I mentioned a week or so ago I had symptoms. I did not test because I don't want the government having my information. I rarely go out as it is so staying at home 14 days was nothing.

Quote:
no. It was offered beginning a few weeks ago. we were in the first round to receive since I work in a medical center. i declined, as it is a health risk for me. i don't get the flu shot either for the same reason it is a health risk for me. over 35 years ago, my doctor told me never to get a flu shot EVER because i became so ill the one time i took it. since then i have never had a flu shot, and i have never gotten the flu as it is a health risk. i decline the covid vaccine for the same reason.
I was allergic to the shingles vaccine so I won't take the COVID vaccine either. Someone said I shouldn't be allergic to this vaccine because of what it's made with but I'm not taking my chances with my throat being closed because I don't know what I'm allergic to. The poster gave me the name of a few things in the shingles vaccine I could be allergic to so I'll look into being tested for them but I still won't push my luck. I'm allergic to fillers in generic medications so am limited on what meds I can take.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
For people with kids, Easter is a very big holiday. My town usually does an egg hunt, so do all of the churches around here. With everything canceled last year, people were organizing their own, some with just their families, including siblings and grandparents, some did it with their neighbors; hopefully wearing masks. .

Hi Rose...I know that Easter is important for some ppl but it’s not like a big travel & crowds time like NYE or Christmas or Thanksgiving....AND the biggest thing is that there will be 4 months of vaccines by the end of April.

Quote:
Please update us because I'm waiting to see no antibodies...

Would you take the vaccine if offered to you?

Yes...I’m scheduled to get the vaccine at the end of January at work.

Quote:
I can't see how you had a positive test since you weren't going out because you were getting married; you didn't want anything ruining your wedding plans so you were super careful. You figured if anything happened it would be that your travel plans would get ruined due to flights being canceled.

How did you get COVID not going out for 4 weeks? Through the vents in your apartment if it applies? lol

Ita....it makes no sense. I was super careful...AND made sure my fiancé was too. AND not even vents...ha...because we live in a house that sits kind of far from our neighbors & they slope away.

I know that ppl think I have it...but other nurses, the doctors I work for, my fiancé & everybody else I talk to say that it was probably a false positive...especially since my fiancé was negative. How could both of us have such super immunities & not be touched??

So...I want the antibody test before I get vaccinated.

Quote:
As I mentioned a week or so ago I had symptoms. I did not test because I don't want the government having my information. I rarely go out as it is so staying at home 14 days was nothing.

Are you feeling better now? Some ppl don’t have a choice because they get so sick...they have to be tested when they are admitted. edit: The government already has your information if you pay taxes or social security tho.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-18-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-19-2021, 08:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Yes, I know the government has my info due to taxes and social security but COVID tracking is different.

Where I live there are a lot of cases, you can't even get into get tested at any of the locations in the 3 day window they give. My daughter tried to get tested.

Yes, feeling better thanks.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I was allergic to the shingles vaccine so I won't take the COVID vaccine either. Someone said I shouldn't be allergic to this vaccine because of what it's made with but I'm not taking my chances with my throat being closed because I don't know what I'm allergic to.

Oh no........a severe allergic reaction to the shingles vaccine is super rare...like 1 in a million. The covid vaccine is made differently tho....BUT...they have stopped giving one lot of Moderna vaccines because there was allergic reactions from that lot...like 10 ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness