Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 12:34 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Since you said this has been going on for quite a while, I would consider zinc deficiency. Some here have already mentioned it. When you get older, your body doesn't absorb zinc very well and the symptoms are loss of taste (maybe smell too?)

My dr recommended zinc picolinate but that's getting hard to find since zinc is being recommended as helping with COVID. But if you can find any, give it a chance. Of course, you could get tested to COVID too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 12:50 PM

10,305 posts, read 6,837,174 times
The flu strain in 2019, BEFORE COVID existed, may have caused smell/taste sensations that are "off" as compared to years earlier. It doesn't mean there's no sensation at all. Just a different sensation, that has never/rarely been experienced previously. Some patients have reported, the odor they experience is similar to the odor experienced when returning back to consciousness from being LOC.

Some say, that a zinc imbalance may be a contributing factor. Some say...

Old 01-04-2021, 12:58 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
My grandmother broke her nose in a car accident. Afterwards, she had no sense of smell, which of course also affected her ability to taste, although basic tastes - sweet, sour, salty, bitter - remained.

Think back, OP - did you ever have a nose injury?

Old 01-04-2021, 01:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since you said this has been going on for quite a while, I would consider zinc deficiency.

OP, please consult your doctor before embarking on do-it-yourself zinc supplementation.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:17 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, please consult your doctor before embarking on do-it-yourself zinc supplementation.
Agree. There are other noticeable symptoms suggesting zinc deficiency besides loss of taste or smell: unexplained weight loss, brain fog (persistent throughout the day), cuts and scrapes that don't heal, hair loss, intestinal upset. OP do you take any vitamin/supplements now? Check for zinc content and what's already in your diet before shot gunning more supplements. Definitely possible to overdose zinc.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:21 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I would consult your doctor as well, but many dont believe in supplementation and a good one a day multivitamin like Naturelo would cover many common deficiencies like zinc, b12, D, K2, and selenium.

Of course you cant fit everything in a multi, other things to consider
-fatty fish or cod liver oil(natural vitamin A) for omega 3s
-1 to 1 ratio calc/magnesium
-Choline in eggs, broccoli, or supplement
-Collagen in bone broth or powder
-DHEA 2mgs for each decade after 30.

Some other resources
Common deficiencies in older adults
6 common deficiencies
Balancing your hormones
WebMD 9 nutrients you may be missing
Nutrition for Seniors

Old 01-04-2021, 04:32 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My grandmother broke her nose in a car accident. Afterwards, she had no sense of smell, which of course also affected her ability to taste, although basic tastes - sweet, sour, salty, bitter - remained.

Think back, OP - did you ever have a nose injury?
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments!!

Nope - no injuries. Also, I was tested twice for Covid last fall and was negative both times. I'll redo the test once they are a little more available.

As for zinc, i don't take any supplements. And I don't have any of the other symptoms that were shown in an earlier post.

I will be seeing my primary doctor at the end of the month. I can predict that he will send me to a local ENT doctor, and given that I'm out in the boonies of southern Ohio, I can also predict that said ENT doc will not be in the forefront of technology.

But at least it's a place to start

Thanks again

Old 01-04-2021, 04:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments!!

Nope - no injuries. Also, I was tested twice for Covid last fall and was negative both times. I'll redo the test once they are a little more available.

As for zinc, i don't take any supplements. And I don't have any of the other symptoms that were shown in an earlier post.

I will be seeing my primary doctor at the end of the month. I can predict that he will send me to a local ENT doctor, and given that I'm out in the boonies of southern Ohio, I can also predict that said ENT doc will not be in the forefront of technology.

But at least it's a place to start

Thanks again
Could be a sign to make some changes.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 327 times
Did you have any improvement with your sense of smell? I've been dealing with same problem for a while. ENT exam, CT and MRI showed nothing. I got some blood work done and guess what- vitamin D deficiency and Zinc is borderline low. Started taking supplement a week ago and we shall see. I've never had Covid or other viral infections in the past few years and don't have other Zinc deficiency symptoms either. There are some case reports about low vitamin D affecting smell too. So might be some deficiency or even combination of deficiencies.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:47 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
My brother lost his sense of smell years ago, long before Covid. I'll mention zinc to him, maybe that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness