Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 06:42 AM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times

Advertisements

In the past 3-4 weeks I have gained a lot of weight from overeating and the holidays. I would say maybe 10-15 pounds. I am working out now to shed those pounds.

However, in the past couple of weeks I find myself getting short of breath extremely easily and it's starting to concern me in certain moments. It was the worst after Christmas dinner when I ate too much. I had a COVID test done after a week of being short of breath and it was negative. I have also noticed that my shortness of breath seems to be worse after I eat, but outside of that it's pretty okay.

I relocated to Florida just this past week and have gone running outside a couple of times for about an hour and have had no issues with breathing. It really seems to be when I eat and some time after, but I gradually see it getting better.

Can sudden gain weight cause this? Kind of like the body all of a sudden it trying to adjust to this extra weight and is having trouble getting enough oxygen for the new amount of fat?

Now that I am back on a diet and working out again, I am going to see if in the next couple of weeks as I lose some weight if it improves. If it doesn't I might get it checked out.

BTW I am 35, no underlying conditions, and pretty athletic, I wouldn't say lean but not overweight either (well at least I wasn't a month ago lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 10:47 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
I would let my Dr. know....it could be some sort of blockage that is preventing enough oxygenation to your lungs after eating, as much blood goes to the stomach after a meal......
Perhaps lighter meals, more frequently would help.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
You can get shortness of breath from reflux. Since it seems to be improving and you admittedly at a lot, that would make sense. With heart problems. You are more likely to get short of breath with exercise/exertion.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
OP, in a different forum you wrote:

I think I was just feeling incredibly anxious, frustrated and trapped with everything going on

It may not be the additional weight. It could be anxiety.

If I were you, I would buy a fingertip pulse oximeter on Amazon (about $25) and use it a couple of times a day. Keep a journal of each reading and how you were feeling when you took it (anxious, stressed, relaxed, dizzy, fatigued, etc.)

If you do need to see a doctor, you'll have this information at hand for him/her to review.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, in a different forum you wrote:

I think I was just feeling incredibly anxious, frustrated and trapped with everything going on

It may not be the additional weight. It could be anxiety.

If I were you, I would buy a fingertip pulse oximeter on Amazon (about $25) and use it a couple of times a day. Keep a journal of each reading and how you were feeling when you took it (anxious, stressed, relaxed, dizzy, fatigued, etc.)

If you do need to see a doctor, you'll have this information at hand for him/her to review.
You could be right though. My anxiety has been at an all time high, it's a combination of the pandemic and me just having moved to Florida. On my flight on the way here, I had a terrible anxiety attack. I used to have a fear of flying in the past, and in the past 10 years I overcame that and really don't struggle to fly anymore. However, with my anxiety at an all time high, I was convinced that we were going to die on this flight, lol. It was pretty bad. When I had breathing problems before the New Year, I asked myself if perhaps it was anxiety induced, as I have been very anxious and stressed lately.

However, since arriving in Florida I am in much better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness