Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:19 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

OP, would you feel more comfortable about the procedure if you were vaccinated beforehand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 11:28 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP said in another thread that she has trouble swallowing and feels like her throat is closing up and she has trouble breathing. It could be one of many serious issues, but I am not sure how they will figure out what it is without actually looking in there.
Thanks and I didn't read the OP's problem on the other thread and knowing about the alternatives, I would surely look into them...but that's me...if there is a less invasive route to most procedures, I look at them. I'm paying already.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:09 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
It isn't to do with sterilization....it is more the fact you have to have your mouth open for an extended period of time around a doctor who sees patients all day every day. It even said in an article ENT's are at greater risk for exposure due to this, so I am sure it works the other way around too. Also, this will be an endoscopy through the nose to look at the throat, so no sedation.

The Dr I used, he and staff are tested daily. Patients tested 1 week before procedure. Number of cases per day is cut by 2/3. No one can come into center with you.

UV sterilization every night

24 hour disinfection spray on everything. And waiting room, pre and post op room sprayed and cleaned down between patients as is procedure room. All equipment is steralized

COVID is all around us, but major infectious route is contact!

I never saw another patient.

I was very comfortable and I am a germaphope!

Old 01-11-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thanks and I didn't read the OP's problem on the other thread and knowing about the alternatives, I would surely look into them...but that's me...if there is a less invasive route to most procedures, I look at them. I'm paying already.

You should always read posts if you are going to post an idea or suggestion.

Believe it or not, I even read your posts. Don't comment on many because I would be suspended. But, I read everything.

This thread is asking if anyone had an endoscopy during COVID. Yes I did (and a colonoscopy) and so did many others

No home remedies needed

As I said earlier, I would have bled out if not for procedure. I knew something bad was going on and I knew I had to do something

I weighed my options and I opted for the procedure, PERIOD!

OP, that is exactly what YOU MUST DO!

Old 01-11-2021, 04:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Believe it or not, I even read your posts. Don't comment on many because I would be suspended. But, I read everything.

This thread is asking if anyone had an endoscopy during COVID. Yes I did (and a colonoscopy) and so did many others

No home remedies needed

As I said earlier, I would have bled out if not for procedure. I knew something bad was going on and I knew I had to do something

I directed my reply to RamenAddict.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-11-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 04:52 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

No home remedies needed

I guess you had symptoms from that ulcer, that led you to get the tests you needed for diagnosis and treatment?

That's a good thing, as you say a bleeding ulcer could get so much worse, even be fatal if it isn't found and treated before it gets that bad.

Scary for me, I didn't have any more than mild symptoms ( slight heartburn, mild pain in the epigastric region sometimes) that I mostly ignored, or attributed to old age issues, yet they found two actively bleeding gastric ulcers that no one had a clue I had. The only reason I had the endoscopies was due to a positive occult blood, and I was reluctant and dragged my feet over doing that.

I'm grateful for the vigilance of my PCP, and the surgeon who encouraged me to have the EGD. I would not have done either on my own.

Anyway, here's hoping your ulcer will heal nicely and be a thing of the past pretty soon.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:00 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
My adult son with Down syndrome had a severe gastric bleed, twice hospitalized in a 2 week period. He had endoscopy twice in August 2020, and I was horrified that he might contact COVID 19, but he was just fine. He had to go to a clinic for a follow up on his issue, and again, I'm horrified, but he did not get COVID 19. Myself and my husband both questioned the hospitalist about COVID 19 precautions, and he explained. I guess if I were you, I would just ask them what precautions they are taking, and if that offends them, go elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:45 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My adult son with Down syndrome had a severe gastric bleed, twice hospitalized in a 2 week period. He had endoscopy twice in August 2020, and I was horrified that he might contact COVID 19, but he was just fine. He had to go to a clinic for a follow up on his issue, and again, I'm horrified, but he did not get COVID 19. Myself and my husband both questioned the hospitalist about COVID 19 precautions, and he explained. I guess if I were you, I would just ask them what precautions they are taking, and if that offends them, go elsewhere.
That seems very sensible.

OP, believe me, I understand your hesitancy. I had to have some tests done. In the course of it I went to four different medical facilities, scared out of my mind. But it turned out OK. I even went to an ER once and that was all right, too. I am not immunocompromised, but I am high risk with a number of co-morbidities.

I think the risk is low. But it's your decision.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:04 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have been having severe throat issues and my ENT doc wants to do an endoscopy. I am extremely concerned being so immune compromised and I know this procedure is quite risky.
Yes, I had an endoscopy in August of last year in a hospital. Aside from the physician, anesthesiologist, and a couple of nurses were in the room.

The only thing I could suggest is ask to be the first patient on a Monday morning so hopefully everything is at its most sanitized and fewer patient encounters.

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-11-2021 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess you had symptoms from that ulcer, that led you to get the tests you needed for diagnosis and treatment?

That's a good thing, as you say a bleeding ulcer could get so much worse, even be fatal if it isn't found and treated before it gets that bad.

Scary for me, I didn't have any more than mild symptoms ( slight heartburn, mild pain in the epigastric region sometimes) that I mostly ignored, or attributed to old age issues, yet they found two actively bleeding gastric ulcers that no one had a clue I had. The only reason I had the endoscopies was due to a positive occult blood, and I was reluctant and dragged my feet over doing that.

I'm grateful for the vigilance of my PCP, and the surgeon who encouraged me to have the EGD. I would not have done either on my own.

Anyway, here's hoping your ulcer will heal nicely and be a thing of the past pretty soon.

Biopsies came back today. Negative on the polyps and no H Pylori, so ulcer from irritation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness