Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times

Advertisements

Sadly..I used my hands to eat! I know use them to type..at least this addiciton will not kill me!

Good to hear you quit too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
4 months in. No problems - except watching others smoke, smelling smoke, wondering why people have a 6" stick-of-stupid sticking out of their mouth ... and trying not to annoy my wife who still smokes.
Lost 45 lbs at the same time - have plateau-ed out though - have the "binging" thing going on now and then, again.
Used Chantix - best thing my insane doctor ever did was give me those. Been off of those over a month now. Life is good. Lungs are back. Don't think I'll ever pick one up again. Can't afford to.
Rocky. You did the Chantix for 3 months? I'm on the 2nd month of it now and wondering what I will feel like when I stop taking them. I do plan to do 3 or maybe even 4 months.

I don't think I've gained weight and I've been walking much more but food is tasting really, really good lately and everything is so appetizing. It scares me a little, although I decided that gaining weight was the better of the two evils and that that would come off anyway eventually.

I don't feel like I'm totally unstuffed and unclogged yet (nose and ears) and sometimes my breathing seems to feel just as when I was smoking.

Is that normal? I've been smoking for 40 years.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 21,818 times
Thank you for your support. Desperately needed and greatly appreciated. My friend gets to go home today. He's still pretty messed up but doing much better. Several of us in our group have quit smoking since this happened so I guess there was something good that came of it. Just wish it didn't have to be that extreme.

Anyway, Still smoke free. It's getting a little easier but there are moments here and there that I really think I want one so I grab my coat and I go on a 15-20 minute walk. That seems to help. My 16 year old daughter is the biggest help though. Don't know what I would have done without her.

Great job to all that are working on becoming non-smokers. We can all do this!!!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,798 times
Congratulations to all of you - you're doing great!

Without really making the decision to quit, I did, right before Halloween - I ran out of smokes, didn't feel like going to the store, and just stopped. That first week, I wanted to kill everyone.

Didn't smoke for two weeks, went out on a Friday night, had some drinks, had three smokes.....*sigh*

Now I'm smoking one a day - when I get home from work. I haven't smoked during the day since October, and strangely enough, I have no desire to - but when I get home, all bets are off. I don't know if it's the commute stress or what, but I need that cigarette. I will get rid of it, though. I know I can do it. If I can kick the "day" habit, I can kick it in the evenings, too.

I've already gained weight. About 6-8 lbs. since October. I have to tell myself NOT to get a snack during the day when I know what I really want is a smoke. I don't need either one, so I occupy myself in other ways.

I have my moments. But I'm getting there.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Congratulations to all of you that have decided to quit smoking. I know how hard it is I did it 11 1/2 years ago, the hardest thing for me was figuring out what to do with my hands. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you all that even if no one else in your life is proud of you, I am, you've conquered something great!!
Why thank you Ms Earniefan. Pats on the back all the way around!
A special "WooHoo" to anybody who has quit without prescription - I tried and tried and tried and nothing worked beyond ... oh ... about 2:30.
Until this "Chantix", I only have known a handful of people who quit - and they all did it the same way ... by not picking them up again. I emphasize "They did not quit by laying them down, they quit by not picking them back up"! "By never having 'the next one'"!
I've known of people who have used Chantix but still haven't quit.
I don't know what to say except "Hang in There"
Thanks again EF - it is nice to be back to just my "regular" problems again!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Rocky. You did the Chantix for 3 months? I'm on the 2nd month of it now and wondering what I will feel like when I stop taking them. I do plan to do 3 or maybe even 4 months.

I don't think I've gained weight and I've been walking much more but food is tasting really, really good lately and everything is so appetizing. It scares me a little, although I decided that gaining weight was the better of the two evils and that that would come off anyway eventually.

I don't feel like I'm totally unstuffed and unclogged yet (nose and ears) and sometimes my breathing seems to feel just as when I was smoking.

Is that normal? I've been smoking for 40 years.
Hi VP CATS! Sorry I didn't get around to seeing your post sooner.

I worried about what would happen when and if I quit the pills. Luckily, my pharmacist had used them and quit successfully - and said it was no problem. Her assistant used Chantix and was quit when I first met her for my script - but said she'd had a cigarette over the weekend - we all know where that goes.
I incorporated a 2-mile walk into my day - usually around 9 or 10 at night. I tried to Amp it up quite a bit too, to build my cardio so, my lungs got a little help. I might add that I walked and ran the Rockies but that was over 15 years ago and you'd never have known it by my wheezing - Folks could hear me coming from a couple hundred feet away! So - add some cardio - try and make a habit of it. It took about the full 3 months before my lungs started clearing up but then, they cleared up quick. I don't know how they really are but I can sneak up on a bird now!
I would mention that you don't have to quit the Chantix - you can take it as long as your doc will renew your script - so don't worry ... it's just, if you relapse, you'll need to start it from the first packet again.
Hang in there. If I can do it - I absolutely swear - you can do it! You've already shown that Chantix works - it quit for you - now, in about a month, you get a chance to prove that you really wanted to quit - that you really want to face life as a non-smoker - and I wish you the best.
I've never gotten too involved with their online program - but I save every one of the morning tips just in case - it's just like AA or NA - you gotta do it for life and resolve to not let the temptations sway you. Be proud! Hot Dang, you did it! YeeHah

Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times
Just remember that it is ok to slip up and have one, but still get back to the program...I had a few mishaps cause I was with people who smoked, when I had started to do other things with others who did not smoke, I was able to get free from the temptations.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Unhappy Slightly worried

Well this weekend will be the big test.......

No cigs since late night Dec 1. It's been ok, cut out coffee and wine and doing good. However, Saturday night we are going out with friends/family to a local pub. 1/2 of the family smokes and are used to us going outside with them. It is going to be a true test of my willpower having them there AND having a few drinks as well. Wish me luck!!!

Congratulations to all of you that are still going strong on not smoking. I am proud of each and every one of you.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrt View Post
Well this weekend will be the big test.......

No cigs since late night Dec 1. It's been ok, cut out coffee and wine and doing good. However, Saturday night we are going out with friends/family to a local pub. 1/2 of the family smokes and are used to us going outside with them. It is going to be a true test of my willpower having them there AND having a few drinks as well. Wish me luck!!!

Congratulations to all of you that are still going strong on not smoking. I am proud of each and every one of you.

Since Dec 1st is pretty good! Can you skip the alcohol?

How about using a patch or some nicotine gum just to keep you from the temptation that way you don't have to start all over again.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Since Dec 1st is pretty good! Can you skip the alcohol?

How about using a patch or some nicotine gum just to keep you from the temptation that way you don't have to start all over again.

I'm thinking about skipping the drinks this time and sticking to pop for this first time out with no smokes. It will save on cab fare too since I would be the designated driver then.

I keep packs of peppermint gum with me at all times. That seems to help along with stir stick straws. I will let you know how it goes. Still nervous but I think I can do this......I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness