Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 08:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Well, I will say this - as a person who never met a wine I didn't like:

I wear a FitBit to bed every night. I have noticed that when I drink two glasses of red wine (because I'll be honest - I never drink only 1) I don't sleep as well. Meaning that though I am asleep, my resting heart rate is higher and also I don't sleep as long, and I also don't get as much REM or deep sleep as I do when I drink any wine in the evening. Which thankfully is more often than when I do. But still - I think I need to cut it down even more.

When I drink decaffeinated or herbal teas, those don't seem to affect my sleep patterns at all.

I find that whether it's tea or wine or some other "special" sort of prepared, relaxing drink, I find myself wanting SOMETHING in the evenings that feels like a treat. I prefer that it not be high calorie too, so I think tea is the answer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The way the statistics are presented completely misleads the public. Why not give the percent of people who got AFib and drank no alcohol, then the percent of people who got it and drank 1 drink per day?

There could be a 0.5% chance of getting AFib and by drinking alcohol you are raising it to 0.58%, which is miniscule. The reason is that 16% sounds more threatening whereas increasing your chance from 4% to 4.64% sounds quite small.

If you consider that daily binge drinkers only raised their rate 47% over the course of 14 years, that would be an increase from a 3% chance to a 4.4% chance. So if you followed a group of 100 non-drinkers and a group of 100 alcoholics, there'd be 3 non-drinkers that would get AFib and 4-5 alcoholics with AFib. That doesn't sound quite as newsworthy.

The whole study was based on people self-reporting how much they drank and whether they had AFib or not.
That was my thought, too. I looked up the study and the way the data were presented made it impossible (for me, at least) to suss out absolute risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am truly just making an observation here - this is not directed at anyone. But I am always amazed at how vehemently people defend drinking alcohol. People don't defend tobacco or donuts this way, but when it comes to alcohol, folks will passionately claim (deny?) that there is anything wrong with it.
All the calls for "everything in moderation" would seem to contradict this.

Just a few years ago, the American Diabetes Association was telling diabetics to eat sugary foods in moderation and the American Heart Association had its logo on sugary cereals. Go further back, and sugar was promoted as a health food and doctors endorsed cigarettes.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 01-16-2021 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-16-2021, 10:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That was my thought, too. I looked up the study and the way the data were presented made it impossible (for me, at least) to suss out absolute risk.

All the calls for "everything in moderation" would seem to contradict this.

Just a few years ago, the American Diabetes Association was telling diabetics to eat sugary foods in moderation and the American Heart Association had its logo on sugary cereals. Go further back, and sugar was promoted as a health food and doctors endorsed cigarettes.

Apples and oranges. If you have diabetes you have to be strict with your diet. Comparing that to someone with no health issues enjoying a glass of wine is ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Apples and oranges. If you have diabetes you have to be strict with your diet. Comparing that to someone with no health issues enjoying a glass of wine is ridiculous.
I'm not comparing anything, I'm responding to two separate comments.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'm not comparing anything, I'm responding to two separate comments.
Really? Sure didn't seem like it.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Well, no problem ...bourbon will do then...ya gotta keep ahead of the studies!

Old 01-16-2021, 10:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I will say this - as a person who never met a wine I didn't like:
I wondered where you were, , obviously you've been drinking!!!!

Old 01-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Really? Sure didn't seem like it.
Maybe you're drinking too much wine.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:01 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
One glass of wine is innocuous.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:33 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
One glass of wine is innocuous.
and pointless.

Although, I guess if you're a petite little delicate thang, one glass of wine might be sufficient to have a relaxing effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness