Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:47 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times

Advertisements

Use common sense....too much WATER can kill you, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
One day a study will say a glass of wine a day is good for you. The next day one says it is bad. Do what you want to do and don't worry about it. If we cut out everything enjoyable in our lives and spent our free time exercising every day like all these studies suggest, what fun would life be and who the hell would want to live a few more years of it? lol
Right on.

My mother was very, very health conscious and active. She ended up with dementia, and her body took a LONG time to wear out - longer than her brain in fact, which was tragic.

My dad died before she did, and at a slightly younger age. He lived life to the fullest, and I don't think he had a single regret when he died. He had a little pot belly though and he never exercised as often as my mom thought he should, nor did he eat as healthily as she thought. She was always mad about this.

The irony of it all...

Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have a 93 year old aunt, yet my mother (her sister) died at 40. I just intend to do what I darned please, and so be it. I think we can find a study to prove anything, either way.

I was told at the Guinness brewery in Ireland, that after you give blood you get a glass of Guinness, and also that nursing mothers drink it to help their milk supply. I think our mothers or grandmothers used whiskey on teething babies.

My latest quest is to try marijuana in the near future. If you see the headlines, “Georgia grandmother busted for possession of a marijuana gummy at FL border.” That will be me.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is anything more convoluted and contradictory than studies and recommendations on alcohol intake? One day, a glass or two of alcohol is good. Next, it's bad. And back and forth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drinking-...000000613.html
"Studies" seem to be nothing more than employment agencies for academes and other genius types who can't get real jobs.

My first recollection of study reversal syndrome is the butter vs. margarine issue that IIRC came up in the '70s. And the '80s and the '90s etc. etc.

Butter bad. Margarine good. Then butter good, margarine bad. Kind of like Animal Farm.

IMO these studies are mostly jokes. When NEW DATA! come up contradicting the other "studies," after a while people get sick of hearing someone cry wolf.

And BTW if you actually believe the "studies" that "prove" the RedChinaFlu vaccines are safe and harmless, why, before this magical time, have vaccines taken years to develop and more years to field test for safety and effectiveness? Just curious.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:04 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
I can understand why those of you who don’t have atrial fibrillation wouldn’t worry about this study or having moderate alcohol. But my late husband did have a-fib and it continued, even after an ablation procedure. Finally a cardiologist told him that alcohol, more so than caffeine, was likely to cause a-fib. He stopped drinking alcohol (had two servings a day for years, either beer or wine and hard liquor) and in the two years since stopping never had it again. Trust me, the ER trips in the middle of the night were not fun and neither was the shocking when drugs couldn’t get him back to normal rhythm.

He didn’t die of heart problems, though. Died of stage four esophageal and stomach cancer, which also could be alcohol related. Again, decades of 14 drinks a week because that’s been the guidelines for men for years. For some reason, he thought 14 drinks a week wouldn’t cause any problems but that 15 drinks a week would be dangerous.

Absolutely, nondrinkers get a-fib and cancer. But research is increasingly showing that alcohol increases the chances. It’s just so toxic for the body. Yoga instructors will guide participants in twists, saying it detoxes the body and wrings out toxins from the 8nternal organs, but that’s just pseudoscience. You could twist for hours a day, but is it really going to stop the effects of alcohol on cells, tissues, organs?

Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
A very close member in my family, father, drank all his life, and a couple beers 2 weeks before he finally died...he was 95. We always said he didn't worry about a thing, but his wife, mom, was the worrier, and did NOT drink and she lived to 91.

I stopped all booze about 10 yrs ago and don't miss any of it. I get my grapes in my grape seed extract.....and I'm 82.

Support the Grapes, and enjoy them one way or another.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:46 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
He didn’t die of heart problems, though. Died of stage four esophageal and stomach cancer, which also could be alcohol related. Again, decades of 14 drinks a week because that’s been the guidelines for men for years. For some reason, he thought 14 drinks a week wouldn’t cause any problems but that 15 drinks a week would be dangerous.

Absolutely, nondrinkers get a-fib and cancer. But research is increasingly showing that alcohol increases the chances. It’s just so toxic for the body.
Until you mentioned this I didn't realize how much alcohol increases one's risk for esophageal cancer. It doesn't even help if one stops drinking. You still have that risk for quite a long time. Possibly decades.

It's why I laughed a little when Gordon Lightfoot announced at age 80 he was quitting smoking. I mean, really dude? The damage is already done. There's no going back.

I never qualified to be even a light (one drink a day) drinker. I was a six-drinks-a-year girl. But I quit entirely one day when I found myself craving it. I thought that wasn't a good sign.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Actually, the suggestion that a glass or two a day was beneficial was abandoned by the medical community quite some time ago. Further studies have shown that no amount of alcohol is healthy. Resveratol, found in grapes, does seem to have some benefit, which is where the idea that daily doses of wine are beneficial. But the cons of alcohol outweigh the pros.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Alcohol is a known toxin and has been for centuries. I never drank it. It was found to be a carcinogen almost 40 years ago.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:41 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
A study says that scientists...... cause cancer in laboratory rats..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness