Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Actually, the suggestion that a glass or two a day was beneficial was abandoned by the medical community quite some time ago. Further studies have shown that no amount of alcohol is healthy. Resveratol, found in grapes, does seem to have some benefit, which is where the idea that daily doses of wine are beneficial. But the cons of alcohol outweigh the pros.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401
Dr Sinatra article, maybe the heart health of the French is due to cheese(K2 source), not wine.

Quote:
We have long believed that the salvation of French hearts was due to copious consumption of red wine. However, K2 research indicates that there may be more to the story. In such societies as Holland and France, it looks like there are major benefits from all the cheese they eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 12:52 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Until you mentioned this I didn't realize how much alcohol increases one's risk for esophageal cancer. It doesn't even help if one stops drinking. You still have that risk for quite a long time. Possibly decades.

It's why I laughed a little when Gordon Lightfoot announced at age 80 he was quitting smoking. I mean, really dude? The damage is already done. There's no going back.

I never qualified to be even a light (one drink a day) drinker. I was a six-drinks-a-year girl. But I quit entirely one day when I found myself craving it. I thought that wasn't a good sign.
Hahaha, I didn't know that about him.

But some years back, my local paper did an article on people in the area who were 100+ years old. One little old Italian guy, 102, said he thought he lived as long as he did because he quit smoking at 75.

I quit at 53. I am OK right now, but I have no illusions that I escaped everything. Leonard Nimoy quit at 53 and 30 years later he was in a wheelchair unable to walk from COPD.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I didn't know that about him.

But some years back, my local paper did an article on people in the area who were 100+ years old. One little old Italian guy, 102, said he thought he lived as long as he did because he quit smoking at 75.

I quit at 53. I am OK right now, but I have no illusions that I escaped everything. Leonard Nimoy quit at 53 and 30 years later he was in a wheelchair unable to walk from COPD.
My dad quit smoking at 68 after 50 years. He got one of the only colds that I remember him catching in my lifetime. He put cigarettes down for a day or two because he didn't like the way they tasted and never picked them back up again. I quit less than six months later.

He turned 90 in December and he is in great health.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I can understand why those of you who don’t have atrial fibrillation wouldn’t worry about this study or having moderate alcohol. But my late husband did have a-fib and it continued, even after an ablation procedure. Finally a cardiologist told him that alcohol, more so than caffeine, was likely to cause a-fib. He stopped drinking alcohol (had two servings a day for years, either beer or wine and hard liquor) and in the two years since stopping never had it again. Trust me, the ER trips in the middle of the night were not fun and neither was the shocking when drugs couldn’t get him back to normal rhythm.

He didn’t die of heart problems, though. Died of stage four esophageal and stomach cancer, which also could be alcohol related. Again, decades of 14 drinks a week because that’s been the guidelines for men for years. For some reason, he thought 14 drinks a week wouldn’t cause any problems but that 15 drinks a week would be dangerous.

Absolutely, nondrinkers get a-fib and cancer. But research is increasingly showing that alcohol increases the chances. It’s just so toxic for the body. Yoga instructors will guide participants in twists, saying it detoxes the body and wrings out toxins from the 8nternal organs, but that’s just pseudoscience. You could twist for hours a day, but is it really going to stop the effects of alcohol on cells, tissues, organs?
I am right now having on and off heart palpitations, probably something to do with Covid that I had like about a month ago. I now have a cardiologist, and I’m getting something called a Zio patch in the mail in a couple of days. I am learning that a lot of coffee will cause it. By managing my intake, I can “have my cake and eat it too.”

But I learned a very very long time, that me and alcohol do not have a good working relationship.

I get tipsy a half glass in, a little loud and obnoxious by the end of the first glass, and if I have a second, I’m flat out sloppy drunk. If that’s not bad enough, when I wake up in the middle of the night, because I will, my heart will be absolutely pounding in my neck and chest. Feels like somebody’s playing bongo drums in my body.

As I’ve gotten older, even a glass of champagne will cause this if I am not very careful and don’t eat something that has a lot of fat to it, like cheese. My New Years glass of champagne was accompanied by water crackers and warmed Brie. So, I made a decision last year to not drink — I did not give up the Brie. Alcohol is just not good for me.

In discussing this with my sister, she basically decided the same thing a few years ago for the exact same reasons. My other sister drinks 5 ounces of wine a day with no problem whatsoever. Her cardiologist said as long as you keep it within that 5 ounces that you’re supposed to drink and not buy one of those huge wine glasses that hold 3/4 of a bottle that are so popular right now. My sister’s family all drink a glass of wine or a beer daily. It’s nothing to them. Like drinking water.

I think you really have to pay attention to your body. I think your body tells you what works and what doesn’t. After a few scary middle of the nights thinking oh God I am 20 something and having a heart attack, to I’m 30 something and having a heart attack — I don’t think I want to drink anymore. To then have it score down to I don’t even want a glass of champagne anymore. I don’t even miss it.

With these heart palpitation things I’ve cut my coffee consumption by 1/3.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
My dad quit smoking at 68 after 50 years. He got one of the only colds that I remember him catching in my lifetime. He put cigarettes down for a day or two because he didn't like the way they tasted and never picked them back up again. I quit less than six months later.

He turned 90 in December and he is in great health.
Yes, I understand my mother, who quit maybe 20 years ago (?) and survived a stroke recently, is now 90. I doubt she's in great health. But apparently COPD doesn't cut everyone's life short.

Good on you for quitting!

Old 01-13-2021, 01:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My New Years glass of champagne was accompanied by water crackers and warmed Brie. So, I made a decision last year to not drink — I did not give up the Brie.

Give up ze Brie? Quelle horreur!

Old 01-13-2021, 01:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,207,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is anything more convoluted and contradictory than studies and recommendations on alcohol intake? One day, a glass or two of alcohol is good. Next, it's bad. And back and forth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drinking-...000000613.html
Why you should drink 2 or more

Old 01-13-2021, 01:39 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a 93 year old aunt, yet my mother (her sister) died at 40. I just intend to do what I darned please, and so be it. I think we can find a study to prove anything, either way.

I was told at the Guinness brewery in Ireland, that after you give blood you get a glass of Guinness, and also that nursing mothers drink it to help their milk supply. I think our mothers or grandmothers used whiskey on teething babies.

My latest quest is to try marijuana in the near future. If you see the headlines, “Georgia grandmother busted for possession of a marijuana gummy at FL border.” That will be me.
I've got your bail money, gen, (unless they catch me, too)

Old 01-13-2021, 01:43 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
The way the statistics are presented completely misleads the public. Why not give the percent of people who got AFib and drank no alcohol, then the percent of people who got it and drank 1 drink per day?

There could be a 0.5% chance of getting AFib and by drinking alcohol you are raising it to 0.58%, which is miniscule. The reason is that 16% sounds more threatening whereas increasing your chance from 4% to 4.64% sounds quite small.

If you consider that daily binge drinkers only raised their rate 47% over the course of 14 years, that would be an increase from a 3% chance to a 4.4% chance. So if you followed a group of 100 non-drinkers and a group of 100 alcoholics, there'd be 3 non-drinkers that would get AFib and 4-5 alcoholics with AFib. That doesn't sound quite as newsworthy.

The whole study was based on people self-reporting how much they drank and whether they had AFib or not.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:47 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Repeat after me. Correlation does not equal causation. Correlation does not equal causation. Especially with a measly 16% increase. Hard to believe these junk studies are even published.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness