Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, I understand my mother, who quit maybe 20 years ago (?) and survived a stroke recently, is now 90. I doubt she's in great health. But apparently COPD doesn't cut everyone's life short.

Good on you for quitting!
My mother was an alcoholic. She was fluthered every day by 5:30 pm I never went down that road, limiting my self to a couple of social drinks a year.

I smoked. A lot. I quit in 2004 after 55 years of puffing. I'm 85. Still live alone. Still do my own laundry. Still wash my own dishes every day and tidy up every couple of months.

I now have COPD and some days are good and some are not so. I'm waiting for my granddaughter to visit and she's bringing a bottle of vino. I will have a drink. or two. And I'll probably have cheese with it. (Question: Does cheesecake count?) Sooner or later, something is gonna get me. I'd like to enjoy myself until the lightning strikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 02:07 PM

9,427 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The way the statistics are presented completely misleads the public. Why not give the percent of people who got AFib and drank no alcohol, then the percent of people who got it and drank 1 drink per day?

There could be a 0.5% chance of getting AFib and by drinking alcohol you are raising it to 0.58%, which is miniscule. The reason is that 16% sounds more threatening whereas increasing your chance from 4% to 4.64% sounds quite small.

If you consider that daily binge drinkers only raised their rate 47% over the course of 14 years, that would be an increase from a 3% chance to a 4.4% chance. So if you followed a group of 100 non-drinkers and a group of 100 alcoholics, there'd be 3 non-drinkers that would get AFib and 4-5 alcoholics with AFib. That doesn't sound quite as newsworthy.

The whole study was based on people self-reporting how much they drank and whether they had AFib or not.
Nicely put, TX. And a study is worthless unless it's presented in such a way as to induce panic. Panic sells. Or as they used to say in the newspaper business, if it bleeds it leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Repeat after me. Correlation does not equal causation. Correlation does not equal causation. Especially with a measly 16% increase. Hard to believe these junk studies are even published.
Good source of income for the "studiers."

Old 01-13-2021, 02:24 PM

14,961 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The Queen, at 93, drinks an adult beverage several times a day. Wonder how her heart is?

My suggestion is not to give up drinking wine...give up reading about it.

As long as there's money to fund a "study" somebody will do it and darned if they don't come up with the result the patron was hoping for!
Apparently the Queen's heart is in good enough shape to have gotten her to 93 yrs old and counting.

I agree with you about the wine, I heard long ago that drinking one small glass of red wine a day is good for one's heart, overall health and soul. I'm sticking with that, not that I drink wine every day as I suffer from atrial tachycardia and the wine interacts with the meds I take for that. I drink it sometimes anyway, enjoy it when I do.

Salud!, .........lifts wine glass........

Old 01-13-2021, 02:27 PM

14,961 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
My mother was an alcoholic. She was fluthered every day by 5:30 pm I never went down that road, limiting my self to a couple of social drinks a year.

I smoked. A lot. I quit in 2004 after 55 years of puffing. I'm 85. Still live alone. Still do my own laundry. Still wash my own dishes every day and tidy up every couple of months.

I now have COPD and some days are good and some are not so. I'm waiting for my granddaughter to visit and she's bringing a bottle of vino. I will have a drink. or two. And I'll probably have cheese with it. (Question: Does cheesecake count?) Sooner or later, something is gonna get me. I'd like to enjoy myself until the lightning strikes.
At age 85 IMO you're approaching the age where you ought to be able to eat, drink anything you please.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:10 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, I understand my mother, who quit maybe 20 years ago (?) and survived a stroke recently, is now 90. I doubt she's in great health. But apparently COPD doesn't cut everyone's life short.

Good on you for quitting!
Yup, my aforementioned eighty-year-old friend with the heart condition who usually knocks back a bottle a night (or the equivalent out of her box) also has COPD and is diabetic. She's still relatively active, although she's mostly home right now because of COVID and she looks and acts younger than 80.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:16 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
The Queen, at 93, drinks an adult beverage several times a day. Wonder how her heart is?

My suggestion is not to give up drinking wine...give up reading about it.

As long as there's money to fund a "study" somebody will do it and darned if they don't come up with the result the patron was hoping for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Apparently the Queen's heart is in good enough shape to have gotten her to 93 yrs old and counting.

I agree with you about the wine, I heard long ago that drinking one small glass of red wine a day is good for one's heart, overall health and soul. I'm sticking with that, not that I drink wine every day as I suffer from atrial tachycardia and the wine interacts with the meds I take for that. I drink it sometimes anyway, enjoy it when I do.

Salud!, .........lifts wine glass........
If you recall, the Queen's mother (also an Elizabeth) lived to be 101, and she was known to carry a flask around into her old age.

"Elizabeth's 100th birthday was celebrated in a number of ways: a parade that celebrated the highlights of her life included contributions from Sir Norman Wisdom and Sir John Mills;[118] her image appeared on a special commemorative £20 note issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland;[119] and she attended a lunch at the Guildhall, London, at which George Carey, the Archbishop of Canterbury, accidentally attempted to drink her glass of wine. Her quick admonition of "That's mine!" caused widespread amusement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_...2%E2%80%932002)

Old 01-13-2021, 04:18 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Sugar intake is linked to cardiac disease, and alcohol is processed as sugar. If you're eating sweets, simple carbs and processed foods with added sugar with your wine/beer, it's going to affect you much worse than if you're following a Mediterranean-style diet as much as possible with a glass of wine or two on the side.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sugar intake is linked to cardiac disease, and alcohol is processed as sugar. If you're eating sweets, simple carbs and processed foods with added sugar with your wine/beer, it's going to affect you much worse than if you're following a Mediterranean-style diet as much as possible with a glass of wine or two on the side.
And it all does come down to genetics too, or maybe just plain LUCK, my parents ate all the "bad" stuff and lived long pretty health lives..but neither one smoked, and i believe smoking is a major factor ..

Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,681,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And it all does come down to genetics too, or maybe just plain LUCK, my parents ate all the "bad" stuff and lived long pretty health lives..but neither one smoked, and i believe smoking is a major factor ..
Genetics is a big factor, with lifestyle playing a smaller part. My blood glucose is normally in the 60s, while my wife's is 90-110, with a BMI around 21. That's with her and I eating roughly the same thing. Nearly half her family has diabetes and my family is a bunch of overweight Italians that makes fun of healthy eaters. As far back as my family can trace no one has had diabetes or any other longterm illnesses. Every single one of us drinks on a regular basis, though no serious alcoholics, and most have survived into their 80s and 90s. I'm kind of the one exception in my family to the overweight, no exercise thing. I doubt it'll affect my lifespan, I just do it because it feels good.

The only one who didn't make it to old age was a light drinker, but heavy smoker, who died in their 60s.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Alcohol is cardio toxic. It’s been established previously that heavy drinking leads to far more heart issues, including A Fib, so even though article stresses the “correlation but not necessarily causation” disclaimer it wouldn’t surprise me if it is the cause. Note that the survey found more drinks per day was associate with a corresponding greater frequency of developing A fib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness