Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 08:28 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sugar intake is linked to cardiac disease, and alcohol is processed as sugar. If you're eating sweets, simple carbs and processed foods with added sugar with your wine/beer, it's going to affect you much worse than if you're following a Mediterranean-style diet as much as possible with a glass of wine or two on the side.
That is a good point. Interestingly, my diabetic wine-drinking friend takes her blood sugar every day and has noted that after drinking more than the usual amount of red wine, her sugar goes down. Not recommending that for diabetics, mind you. Just an anecdote.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:41 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Yep, there's always been similar health news. One day a glass of wine is said to be GOOD, now BAD. On another similar story, drinking caffienated coffee's OK, then they say it's BAD & on & on.

Glad I NEVER, EVER started drinking any alcoholic beverages. I've never drank coffe either.

I think the real health nuts out there probably just stay away from anything that seems questionable. So if it even seems like it isn't beneficial, they probably don't touch it.

So what's the motto here:

CERTAIN/SOME things in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 08:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I love wine, but had to cut back because it’s 200 calories per day that I don’t need now that I’m in my 40s.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:04 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Alcohol is cardio toxic. It’s been established previously that heavy drinking leads to far more heart issues, including A Fib, so even though article stresses the “correlation but not necessarily causation” disclaimer it wouldn’t surprise me if it is the cause. Note that the survey found more drinks per day was associate with a corresponding greater frequency of developing A fib.

I think alcohol could be a trigger ( one of many) for A fib, for those predisposed to afib.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
One small glass a day?

I'm not worried. I never pour my wife a *small* glass.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I am truly just making an observation here - this is not directed at anyone. But I am always amazed at how vehemently people defend drinking alcohol. People don't defend tobacco or donuts this way, but when it comes to alcohol, folks will passionately claim (deny?) that there is anything wrong with it.

If someone is told they should cut out their occasional cigar habit or their morning donut, they say, "Yeah, you're probably right. It's not healthy." But suggest that someone cut out their daily drink, and they tend to respond with a defensive, "There's nothing wrong with a little drink after work! You don't know what you're talking about!"

I just think it's kind of sad that our society has normalized alcohol use to such an extent.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am truly just making an observation here - this is not directed at anyone. But I am always amazed at how vehemently people defend drinking alcohol. People don't defend tobacco or donuts this way, but when it comes to alcohol, folks will passionately claim (deny?) that there is anything wrong with it.

If someone is told they should cut out their occasional cigar habit or their morning donut, they say, "Yeah, you're probably right. It's not healthy." But suggest that someone cut out their daily drink, and they tend to respond with a defensive, "There's nothing wrong with a little drink after work! You don't know what you're talking about!"

I just think it's kind of sad that our society has normalized alcohol use to such an extent.
Well for me, I enjoy kicking back with a glass of wine while watching TV, about an hour before heading to bed, it just helps me to relax and fall asleep better. But, like I mentioned above, the only negative for me is the calories.

Like anything else, you have some people who can't control themselves and abuse it. No different than people who overeat, or abuse their medication, or smoke weed all day long.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:40 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Egg yolks will kill you. Egg yolks are fine.

Potatoes will kill you. Potatoes are fine.

Coffee will kill you. Coffee is healthy.

I am done listening to studies that flip every 20 years. Forever, the AMA has said load up on carbs and avoid fat. Now we know that is completely backwards. Ask anybody on Keto, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo. Anybody.

The AMA says Statins are a safe miracle drug. Bull____.

I am done listening to these quacks and hacks putting out propaganda to line their own pockets. F them.

All things in moderation and don't stress yourself out worrying about it. These quacks and hacks can go to hell. I am flat done with them.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with you. I drink wine most days. So does my eighty-year-old friend who had a heart attack when she was 47 and has occluded arteries. She drinks about a standard bottle a day, as a matter of fact.

And let's get real. How many wine drinkers drink "one small glass" a day.

My 89 year old mother has been drinking 1 to 3 glasses of wine (3-4 oz. each give or take) for around 25 years. Quack study is whack. Idiots. Morons. Study anything long enough and it will be bad for you. Jackwipes.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Dr Sinatra article, maybe the heart health of the French is due to cheese(K2 source), not wine.
Our combination of diets, activity, and genetic DNA are so massively complicated as to make trying to boil down one food item as good or bad for you impossible to know. The damaging effect of any given item that is bad for you could possibly be neutralized by any other given item. We just don't know. It could well be that a certain food or drink is very bad in the absence of certain other foods or drinks, but is harmless in the presence of certain other foods and drinks.

Then add in that perhaps certain foods and drinks are harmful for persons with a certain blood type for example, and harmless for persons with a different blood type.

Then these scientists act as if they can boil all this down to a single common denominator. They cannot. It is becoming more and more apparent it is a joke to even try. We have broad outlines, like smoking is bad for many people. Stress is bad for many people. Obesity is bad for many people.

Other than that, these scientists are still pissing up a rope here in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness