Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 11:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You know what drives me crazy? Is when the doctor asked how much alcohol I consume. Does he ask if I frequent fast food? Or go out to a restaurant often? Do I eat processed foods?

Yes, I have one or two glasses of wine at night. I have co workers that talk about never drinking, but they sit there with their fast food every day. My diet is extremely healthy. I haven't had fast food for nine years. No soda for the last nine years. I cook healthy meals, bring my lunch to work everyday. Yes, I am going to have a glass of red wine most nights.

I had a friend upset because her doctor made a big deal out of her having wine every night. I told her when they ask me I just tell them I don't drink. Seriously--if they never bother to ask me about the rest of my healthy lifestyle...
Good points. Plus, as others have pointed out, these "rules" change every few years.

When my sister was pregnant for my niece, now 42, the doctor told her to have no more than three alcoholic beverages a day during her pregnancy. Now it's no alcohol at all.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:51 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
You know what drives me crazy? Is when the doctor asked how much alcohol I consume. Does he ask if I frequent fast food? Or go out to a restaurant often? Do I eat processed foods?

Yes, I have one or two glasses of wine at night. I have co workers that talk about never drinking, but they sit there with their fast food every day. My diet is extremely healthy. I haven't had fast food for nine years. No soda for the last nine years. I cook healthy meals, bring my lunch to work everyday. Yes, I am going to have a glass of red wine most nights.

I had a friend upset because her doctor made a big deal out of her having wine every night. I told her when they ask me I just tell them I don't drink. Seriously--if they never bother to ask me about the rest of my healthy lifestyle...
I enjoy a glass of wine or two a night most nights. But I also eat an extremely healthy diet and and I exercise almost daily. My doctors tell me I am in great health, and I feel great. If I were having health issues and cutting out wine would help I would certainly stop drinking it.

There are so many other aspects of one's health to take into consideration - genetics is huge. if your family has a history of cancer, high blood pressure, or alcoholism, the drinking should probably be avoided.

Wine and healthy eating tend to go hand in hand.
Alcohol if drank moderately eases stress and stress is one of the biggest killers out there.

And to the person who feels sorry that people drink alcohol should probably read a history book or two. People have been drinking all forms of alcohol since fermentation was discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good points. Plus, as others have pointed out, these "rules" change every few years.

When my sister was pregnant for my niece, now 42, the doctor told her to have no more than three alcoholic beverages a day during her pregnancy. Now it's no alcohol at all.
What drinking alcohol when pregnant, a doc said it's ok...can't imagine that one...but reminds me of a gal I worked with at one point, she was pregnant and smoked and her child suffers with asthma...

Common Sense!!!

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-15-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 12:26 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What drinking alcohol when pregnant, a doc said it's ok...can't imagine that one...but reminds me of a gal I worked with at one point, she was pregnant and smoked and her child suffers with asthma...

Common Sense!!!
I smoked when I was pregnant. Not happy about that, and I cut WAY down and only smoked when it got to the point where I couldn't distract myself, but it's not a matter of whether it's smart or not. Nicotine is one of the worst addictive substances out there. If you are in withdrawal, you can't just sit there and do your work or whatever because it's impossible to concentrate on it. The brain slows down without the jolt of nicotine. Even now, nine years after I quit completely, I miss the sharper thinking that nicotine provided, but of course it isn't worth the risk in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt your coworker's child got asthsma in utero since there's no way the smoke could get in the fetus's lungs, but more likely that the mother smoked around the baby after the s/he was born.

Also, you really can't smoke much in public when you're pregnant because you get constant nasty looks from people, so I would take the elevators down from my office, go outside and around the corner, and have a few furtive drags to stop my skin from crawling and get my brain working again and then put it out and go back up for a couple of hours. Right there you are forced to cut down.

I actually spoke with my ob/gyn about it in the beginning, and he was realistic. He said it's always better NOT to smoke, but the effects of going through cold turkey withdrawal in pregnancy could also harm the fetus, so it was best if I cut down as much as possible.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
I smoked when I was pregnant. Not happy about that, and I cut WAY down and only smoked when it got to the point where I couldn't distract myself, but it's not a matter of whether it's smart or not. Nicotine is one of the worst addictive substances out there. If you are in withdrawal, you can't just sit there and do your work or whatever because it's impossible to concentrate on it. The brain slows down without the jolt of nicotine. Even now, nine years after I quit completely, I miss the sharper thinking that nicotine provided, but of course it isn't worth the risk in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt your coworker's child got asthsma in utero since there's no way the smoke could get in the fetus's lungs, but more likely that the mother smoked around the baby after the s/he was born.

Also, you really can't smoke much in public when you're pregnant because you get constant nasty looks from people, so I would take the elevators down from my office, go outside and around the corner, and have a few furtive drags to stop my skin from crawling and get my brain working again and then put it out and go back up for a couple of hours. Right there you are forced to cut down.

I actually spoke with my ob/gyn about it in the beginning, and he was realistic. He said it's always better NOT to smoke, but the effects of going through cold turkey withdrawal in pregnancy could also harm the fetus, so it was best if I cut down as much as possible.
You don't know, sure makes sense to me, I've heard there are MANY little ones with childhood asthma...glad my mom did not smoke or drink...thanks mom...

Old 01-15-2021, 02:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Those that drink once a day also have a higher caloric intake. I'm willing to bet the majority of these people that drink everyday also did not have the healthiest eating habits or exercise regimens.
You would be very wrong.

Everyone I know works out and drinks.

When I was running marathons, I drank all the beer. All of it.

I'm also PBWF vegan.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
I love beer, but it blows me up and spikes my blood sugar so I rarely have it anymore. Red wine or Scotch or the occasional other type of whiskey, but mostly red wine. Don't like white or even the lighter reds like pinot noir, which is basically just this side of grape juice.

My parents rarely drank. Dad would have a beer or two once a month at the VFW, and Mom would have a Brandy Alexander at New Year's, get giggly, and fall asleep early. Occasionally they had a "highball" (7-up with whiskey) around the holidays when they were in their forties and had company over.

COVID has been a money-maker for the home wine-delivery services what with all the older people not going out and ordering cases in. I haven't heard of increases in these people keeling over from A-fib, now that I think about it.
I remember "highballs" Christmas Eve, and New Years, when growing up. I haven`t heard the term "highball" in years.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 PM

One small glass of wine isn`t good for you.....then give me the whole bottle.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Common Sense!!!
I never smoked, but know many that did while pregnant. Those people are fine. Jaminhealth, at your age it`s time to loosen up abit, and stop being such a stick in the mud. Have a glass of wine, and relax

Old 01-15-2021, 02:52 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:

I do see some of your points, but why not just tell your doctor the truth? Both so s/he knows and can be more vigilant about keeping an eye out for symptoms that could be related to alcohol use...and since you feel that alcohol can be part of healthy living. I am not saying you have a drinking problem, but isn’t that a sign of a drinking problem when people lie about it...to family, friends, doctors, themselves? I don’t think too many doctors would fire you as a patient. You may just get a short lecture, but short would be the operative word since doctors are so busy and they know most people won’t stop drinking. But wouldn’t it be interesting to hear why your specific doctor is asking about it, instead if some researcher you don’t have a personal relationship with and whose motives are suspect, according to some posters on this thread?

I do agree that doctors are really bad about not focusing on nutrition. They are more likely to ask about exercise than what people eat. But even fast food may have a little nutritional value. Cigarettes and alcohol offer nothing positive health wise, except the enjoyment people get from them.

Last edited by jazzcat22; 01-15-2021 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness