Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

"If you're not familiar with GoodRX, it's free. You go to their website, type in the medication name, how many pills, add your zip code. It will list a bunch of local pharmacies with the GoodRX price."

It's a good resource to have if you need to get an Rx for a dog too. They don't cover medicines that are only given to dogs but if your dog needs a medicine that is also given to humans you can save a bundle. I remember picking up the medicine and they asked for the patient's date of birth. "I don't know, it's a dog." They didn't care, and I saved like $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:10 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
My example yesterday was off-topic but typical of the kind of dysfunction I am seeing everywhere. Being forced to deal online is only adding to the confusion.

I did want to come back and say that traditionally Minnesota has been well-known for its leadership in medicine thanks to the brothers Mayo. That has had both its pros and cons.

Something I've been noticing for the last ten years is the increase in women doctors. And all-women practices. I'm going to generalize here and you can take that with a grain of salt. It's personal opinion.

As a woman I've appreciated their apparent more gentle bedside manner and attendance to detail. I always feel better nurtured being tended to by a troupe of "mommies."

And it goes without saying that women often do have to be smarter and work harder to rise in a male dominant profession so I don't often worry about competence. But something I am noticing is that women are more easily distractible. There is more chatter at the front desk. And I know many of them are balancing their other job, home and children, from work.

Men are more able to compartmentalize. When they are at work that's where their total focus is. I think women want to know that their co-workers are okay, how their lives are, etc.

I notice that for me there are more errors being made by women dominated departments in medicine. That's been frustrating.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Never heard of Sonora Quest. You don't have a Labcorp or Quest Diagnostics there? .
Both Quest and Labcorps have laboratories in a number of locations where testing is done, and even more locations where blood is drawn, or other samples for testing are collected and sent to the laboratories for testing. They call the latter "patient service centers". They generally blanket all their testing locations and patient service centers under the company ( ie, Quest, Labcorp) name, and add the location to distinguish one from the other.

So "Sonora Quest" would be, most likely, a Quest patient service center located in or close to some location with Sonora in its name. It might refer to a testing site at that location, but one would have to check Quest's website to see all the testing locations.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:11 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You go! Medical workers have become the laziest and mostly the stupidest.

They have grown immune to people's suffering and simply don't care...they want you dead so they can get a rest.

I now order tests on my own and doctor myself mostly.

If I want a test I just look up a symptom that will alarm medical providers and claim to have it... that will get me the test.
Yes - I guess those medical workers are the people who are meeting the public every day and getting exposed to god knows what because not everyone is wearing a mask. "they want you dead"???

Thank you for not taking up a doctor's valuable time. Medical school would have been a waste of time for you since all you need is the internet. Good luck to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Healthcare rant-self-disclose-diagnosis-condition1.jpg  

Old 01-18-2021, 05:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Both Quest and Labcorps have laboratories in a number of locations where testing is done, and even more locations where blood is drawn, or other samples for testing are collected and sent to the laboratories for testing. They call the latter "patient service centers". They generally blanket all their testing locations and patient service centers under the company ( ie, Quest, Labcorp) name, and add the location to distinguish one from the other.

So "Sonora Quest" would be, most likely, a Quest patient service center located in or close to some location with Sonora in its name. It might refer to a testing site at that location, but one would have to check Quest's website to see all the testing locations.
That would make sense.

I did google Sonora Quest, it says it's the market share leader in diagnostic laboratory testing in Arizona but I didn't look into it further until now. I just went to the about page, it is Quest Diagnostics. I'm shocked to hear the OP has had such bad luck with them. She should see if Labcorp is in her plan and try them to see if they're better. That's who I use. Haven't had any issues with them

Quote:
Sonora Quest Laboratories, an independently run joint venture between Banner Health and Quest Diagnostics, is the nation’s largest integrated laboratory system with approximately 3,200 employees serving more than 26,000 patients every day throughout Arizona.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:03 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"If you're not familiar with GoodRX, it's free. You go to their website, type in the medication name, how many pills, add your zip code. It will list a bunch of local pharmacies with the GoodRX price."
Thanks for the tip. Wal-Mart price (with my insurance) for a month worth of the two meds was a shocking $1059. Goodrx plus insurance gets it down to $600 and something.

I checked out canadadrugs; costs a little less, but would take 4-8 weeks to arrive.

I dunno, maybe the universe is trying to tell me something...
"Give up, steiconi. Put down your burdens and let go!"

Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
You didn't say what the drugs were but a lot of them have unadvertised programs (check their web sites, email contacts, and make phone calls) where they can be amazingly cheap. They can take the form of rebates, low-income assistance, a compassionate use program, or a simple promotion.

The wife had a friend without insurance who was diagnosed with Hep C. The doctor didn't even bother to tell her there was a cure because he just assumed she wouldn't be able to afford it, so he gave her lifestyle changes to adopt instead. The wife was like, WHAT?! There is a CURE and gave the drug name. Her friend contacted the drug company and based on her financial situation and a compassionate use program, basically gave it to her for nearly free.

It's like a friend of mine used to say, "The answer is ALWAYS NO until you ask."

Old 01-21-2021, 08:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
You didn't say what the drugs were but a lot of them have unadvertised programs (check their web sites, email contacts, and make phone calls) where they can be amazingly cheap. They can take the form of rebates, low-income assistance, a compassionate use program, or a simple promotion.

The wife had a friend without insurance who was diagnosed with Hep C. The doctor didn't even bother to tell her there was a cure because he just assumed she wouldn't be able to afford it, so he gave her lifestyle changes to adopt instead. The wife was like, WHAT?! There is a CURE and gave the drug name. Her friend contacted the drug company and based on her financial situation and a compassionate use program, basically gave it to her for nearly free.

It's like a friend of mine used to say, "The answer is ALWAYS NO until you ask."
My friends hub did one of the trials for the Hep C med, he's cured.

You're right, a lot of manufacturers have discount cards you can sign up for on their site, they also offer help which I never qualify for lol

Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
I recently went to a CVS to pickup an Rx through their drive through. It was for a tiny, tiny, (extremely tiny) sealed bottle of eye drops. The drive through had one of those vacuum tube systems (like a bank). They wouldn't give me the eye drops at the drive through, citing that they "weren't allowed to put liquids into the tube". I wasn't ordering a cup of coffee, there was like a teaspoon full of eye drops in a little bottle that required two seals to be broken to even open up, and this bottle was inside a sealed cardboard box, which was inside a paper bag that was stapled shut. Apparently the US health care system is designed from top to bottom to be completely void of common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's a very stupid, incompetent CVS employee. I guess that employee would do the same for cough medicines. I would have asked for the manager, heck, I might even complain to corporate because that employee if not new needs to be retrained.
That's quite the hot take. If that's CVS policy, I doubt the employee (or even the store manager) had the option to put the eye drops in the tube. It's akin to places carding senior citizens when they purchase alcohol due to a corporate policy to card "everyone." Even if it is obviously idiotic to card an elderly person attempting to purchase a bottle of wine, for example, it doesn't mean that the employee who does so is incompetent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You go! Medical workers have become the laziest and mostly the stupidest.

They have grown immune to people's suffering and simply don't care...they want you dead so they can get a rest.
And speaking of things that are obviously idiotic....

This comment is even more idiotic then your usual rants about anything pertaining to the conventional healthcare system.

Frankly, I didn't think that was even possible.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
The words "phone call" appear in this thread many, many times. I would say that using the phone is the source/reason for many (most?) Of the problems and complaints discussed in this thread.

Most physicians have electronic methods of contacting them, most using a system called "my chart". Extremely easy to use, response is usually less than 48 hours (most of my providers respond the next business day), and everything is clear and documented. If my physician or practice didn't have this system, I'd be finding another physician,

Phone calls are frustrating and a waste of time and resources for both sides for these types of communications. (As well as most types of communication for professional or commercial purposes.) Electronic communication is more efficient, more accurate, and provides documentation (which can be helpful for reference or legal purposes.)

No, folks, I'm not a computer geek or teenager. I'm a senior citizen. I can do better things with my time than waiting on hold to get inaccurate or inadequate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness