Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 03:22 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,842,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I hope she will completely recover. It amazes me so many get Covid, yet so many more don't. Some that get it barely have symptoms. Then there are those like your niece that have a very serious case. Best of Luck
Yeah my brother in-law and my sister in-law had it, and they said they felt bad for about 3-4 days and then were back to normal. Strangely, their 21 year old son who lives in the same house never got it, or if he did he didn't notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 08:16 PM

6,755 posts, read 6,007,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The Lancet study was withdrawn because of concern about the source of the data.

Risch has done no research himself. Your link is an opinion piece.

Zelenko did not do a randomized prospective controlled study. There is no way for him to know whether his patients would have gotten better with no treatment at all.

Meta-analysis here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77748-x

"Based on the finding of this meta-analysis, mortality of the HCQ group was not different from that of SC. The country of residency was a significant predictor of mortality outcomes. The alarming finding was that SC patients had lower numbers of mortalities if they were compared to the AZM and HCQ combination group. Exposure to HCQ was associated with a longer duration of hospital stay, whether AZM was included or not in the treatment regimen. Generally, exposure to HCQ alone or in combination with AZM was not associated with any witnessed decrease in the need for mechanical ventilation. Regarding the difference in viral clearance between HCQ and SC, the time to negative conversion was not statistically different between the two groups (HCQ and SC). Similarly, virologic cure rates at either day 4, day 10, or day 14were not different between both groups. It is worthy to mention that adding AZM to HCQ did not affect the cure rate compared to SC. Furthermore, neither clinical worsening nor radiological improvement of the studied patients was affected concurrently with exposure to HCQ. Side effects were more encountered if patients were treated with HCQ/CQ."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32885373/

"Authors' conclusion: The available evidence suggests that CQ or HCQ does not improve clinical outcomes in COVID-19. Well-designed randomized trials are required for assessing the efficacy and safety of HCQ and CQ for COVID-19."
What about the Ford Foundation study that showed significant decrease in mortality among hospitalized patients who used hydroxychloroquine? Did that study later get discredited?

I have read Zelenko's reports and listened to him interviewed on Youtube. He does not come across like a quack, and he states that he treated over 1,000 people with only 4 hospitalizations, one death. These people were in a religious community with 60% prevalence of the disease. He's an advocate of the HCQ/azithromycin/zinc cocktail: HCQ is thought to induce cell receptors to admit more zinc into the cell, zinc inhibits viral growth, and azithromycin is an antibiotic to reduce the risk of pneumonia. Cheap, safe, and apparently effective.

There are several flawed studies in which they oddly administered much larger doses of HCQ to very sick patients, e.g. 800 mg instead of 200 mg, no zinc, no azithromycin. Patients died because it was too late; once the cytokine storm has begun, it's the body's own immune system that is destroying the lungs, and these chemicals will have no effect. At that point, you have to lie on your stomach, get oxygen, and maybe be on a ventilator and hope you're strong enough to survive.

Very high doses of HCQ can cause heart problems. Low to moderate doses are safe. This has been known for decades. It's analogous to ibuprofen - take too much of it and you can die.

Quacks or not, these docs have correctly pointed out that mortality rates in African countries are much lower than in the West; coincidentally, many of the people take HCQ regularly to prevent malaria. It's OTC and people carry it in their purses like ibuprofen.

If black folks here in the U.S. are being hit harder by Covid19 than the rest of the population, why are ethnically similar folks over there doing much better? Apparently it's environmental causes, not genetic.

It's weird to me how people dismiss hydroxychloroquine with an almost religious fervor. Surely it's not related to the former President's support? It's not as if people who hate Trump have to dismiss every single thing he's said and done as totally bad and wrong? Not to get political or anything.

In answer to the OP's original point: the way we'll live with it is to accept that there are a multitude of different treatments including HCQ, remdesivir, dexamethasone, the two or three vaccines, and perhaps other tx that I've not heard of.

Then there's the more natural preventative stuff: elderberry with zinc, daily multi, daily D + calcium, plenty of green leafy vegetables especially the ones high in quercetin (a natural analogue to HCQ) such as radish greens. High-zinc foods like oysters.

Wear a decent mask, something better than simple cloth, and really breathe through it, don't just suck air around it so that the air is not filtered.

I actually got disposable contacts recently, not only for outdoor sports, but also because it makes wearing a mask so much easier. I hate my glasses fogging up all the time

Just my opinions.

Good luck to everyone and stay well.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:23 PM

6,165 posts, read 3,878,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What about the Ford Foundation study that showed significant decrease in mortality among hospitalized patients who used hydroxychloroquine? Did that study later get discredited?

I have read Zelenko's reports and listened to him interviewed on Youtube. He does not come across like a quack, and he states that he treated over 1,000 people with only 4 hospitalizations, one death. These people were in a religious community with 60% prevalence of the disease. He's an advocate of the HCQ/azithromycin/zinc cocktail: HCQ is thought to induce cell receptors to admit more zinc into the cell, zinc inhibits viral growth, and azithromycin is an antibiotic to reduce the risk of pneumonia. Cheap, safe, and apparently effective.

There are several flawed studies in which they oddly administered much larger doses of HCQ to very sick patients, e.g. 800 mg instead of 200 mg, no zinc, no azithromycin. Patients died because it was too late; once the cytokine storm has begun, it's the body's own immune system that is destroying the lungs, and these chemicals will have no effect. At that point, you have to lie on your stomach, get oxygen, and maybe be on a ventilator and hope you're strong enough to survive.

Very high doses of HCQ can cause heart problems. Low to moderate doses are safe. This has been known for decades. It's analogous to ibuprofen - take too much of it and you can die.

Quacks or not, these docs have correctly pointed out that mortality rates in African countries are much lower than in the West; coincidentally, many of the people take HCQ regularly to prevent malaria. It's OTC and people carry it in their purses like ibuprofen.

If black folks here in the U.S. are being hit harder by Covid19 than the rest of the population, why are ethnically similar folks over there doing much better? Apparently it's environmental causes, not genetic.

It's weird to me how people dismiss hydroxychloroquine with an almost religious fervor. Surely it's not related to the former President's support? It's not as if people who hate Trump have to dismiss every single thing he's said and done as totally bad and wrong? Not to get political or anything.

In answer to the OP's original point: the way we'll live with it is to accept that there are a multitude of different treatments including HCQ, remdesivir, dexamethasone, the two or three vaccines, and perhaps other tx that I've not heard of.

Then there's the more natural preventative stuff: elderberry with zinc, daily multi, daily D + calcium, plenty of green leafy vegetables especially the ones high in quercetin (a natural analogue to HCQ) such as radish greens. High-zinc foods like oysters.

Wear a decent mask, something better than simple cloth, and really breathe through it, don't just suck air around it so that the air is not filtered.

I actually got disposable contacts recently, not only for outdoor sports, but also because it makes wearing a mask so much easier. I hate my glasses fogging up all the time

Just my opinions.

A very reasoned response.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:46 PM

28,723 posts, read 18,952,672 times
Quote:

It's because blacks in Africa generally eat much less sugar and other vascular inflammatory foods. They generally eat less overall, eat less frequently through the day, and suffer less from high blood pressure, high glucose levels, and diabetes. All of those are elements of vascular inflammation, which exposes vascular ACE receptors to the covid-19 virus.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:26 AM

6,755 posts, read 6,007,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's because blacks in Africa generally eat much less sugar and other vascular inflammatory foods. They generally eat less overall, eat less frequently through the day, and suffer less from high blood pressure, high glucose levels, and diabetes. All of those are elements of vascular inflammation, which exposes vascular ACE receptors to the covid-19 virus.
You could be right, but I've never heard any health authorities say this. Can you recommend a link?

Plus, we're talking here about a very significant difference in mortality, like .01 versus .1 (going from memory). Could it really be explained mostly by diabetes and hypertension?

Old 02-02-2021, 05:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
To some degree yes they can hide some of it. That is why I think those who say there have been a million cases not 80,000 are probably right. But China also has the ability of ordering people to do whatever they want. So they have the means of containing the virus much easier than in America. And with our spying we know what is going on there.

But how do you demand accountability? China just ignores it. It would have to be a coordinated effort by western countries to demand things from China with the threat of cutting trade. Otherwise China does not care.
Right - western countries would have to actually work together to demand accountability from China. Not likely to happen, and China will therefore continue to run rough shod over the rest of the world.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah my brother in-law and my sister in-law had it, and they said they felt bad for about 3-4 days and then were back to normal. Strangely, their 21 year old son who lives in the same house never got it, or if he did he didn't notice it.
That's been my experience (not personally - with other families). Often what would happen is someone would test positive at work or school, the whole family would be quarantined for 2 weeks, tested repeatedly, maybe one or two of the four or five family members would test positive, maybe have a few mild symptoms, but sometimes not, and some other family members living under the same roof would never test positive.

I don't personally know anyone who has had a severe case, let alone died. I'm not denying that, just saying I have never personally known anyone. I live in Texas close to Dallas and I'm in my late 50s.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 AM

5,760 posts, read 4,377,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

There are a number of theories, with fewer comorbidities being one

The population is younger, which means fewer deaths from covid. Most old people are, well, already dead. Most young people don't die from covid. Underreporting is also very likely and testing is limited. The full answer isn't fully understood yet-it might just be that the full brunt of the disease has been postponed but not avoided.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 AM

25,442 posts, read 37,289,554 times
Quote:
Most people don't have symptoms.

What is your evidence for that statement?

Old 02-02-2021, 08:05 AM

30,391 posts, read 11,997,719 times
Quote:

Just my opinions.

So you are saying some guy does a youtube video and claims HCQ cured 1000 people and that is enough for you to believe it works? According the FDA there were serious side effects on heart function with Covid patients who took HCQ. I don't believe its political at all. The data is out there if you want to read it. I do believe azithromycin helps. We have a family member who is a doctor in Mexico who currently primarily treats covid patients and prescribed a cocktail of medicines for me when I had covid including azithromycin. In 3 days I went from very low oxygen levels and being very weak to being almost over it. He does not use HCQ. We have other family members in Mexico who also recovered quickly with his treatment. My time in the US ER I was only sent home with Oxygen which is why I turned to the Dr. in Mexico.

Regarding masks. You need to cover your eyes. Covid can enter through your eyes, nose and mouth. I use a face shield most of the time or a N95 level mask and eye covering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness