Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 05:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I must live a bad area. My county is reporting a 3.1% death rate, and that is 3.1% of confirmed cases. Worlometers reports a 3% death rate based on "Cases which had an outcome."
But how many had it and just dismissed it as a cold? Right now US confirmed cases is at 26 million, but I suspect the real number could easily be triple that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 06:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But how many had it and just dismissed it as a cold? Right now US confirmed cases is at 26 million, but I suspect the real number could easily be triple that.
Or were asymptomatic and spread the virus to others.Out testing and tracing system has been a disaster and the results reflect that.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:06 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Blacks in Africa do not blunt their CD4 T cell response with a seasonal flu vaccine. CD4 T cell responses are vital for surviving covid.

(link below)

Previous influenza vaccination blunts CD4 T cell response, as evidenced when challenged with another vaccination.

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor...shed-response/

Which wouldn't be important for Covid-19, except that the spike protein-specific CD4+ T cell response to the covid virus, is similar to that for the influenza virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-020-0782-6
They're much younger so they have a more robust T-cell response. It starts to gradually fall off after 23. That's the main reason why the severity of the disease gets worse with age.

Women have a more gradual decline in T-cell activity. Your risk is about 50 percent higher if you're male.

Africa can't afford the testing so the virus is raging there. I remember last summer when everyone claimed India was spared from the virus.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:41 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're much younger so they have a more robust T-cell response...
Africa's median age is 1/2 that of US, 19 to 38. That's a huge difference and must be the primary reason they haven't been hit so hard as older countries.

Additionally, all of their age groups likely have smaller percentages of overweight individuals than western countries, especially US.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:04 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
The FDA gave hydroxychloroquine an EUA without evidence and then withdrew it.
The FDA gave convalescent plasma an EUA without evidence, hundreds of thousands of patients were treated, and now it's backtracking again when it finds it's not effective.

FDA Limits Use of Convalescent Plasma as Covid-19 Treatment
Agency to scale back authorization of the antibody-rich blood component after studies yielded mixed results

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-lim...ts_pos1&page=1

Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
They're much younger so they have a more robust T-cell response. It starts to gradually fall off after 23. That's the main reason why the severity of the disease gets worse with age.

Women have a more gradual decline in T-cell activity. Your risk is about 50 percent higher if you're male.

Africa can't afford the testing so the virus is raging there. I remember last summer when everyone claimed India was spared from the virus.
Per the bolded: Exactly. CD4 T cell response is correlated with covid severity. The more robust the response; the less risk from severe covid. That's why for the life of me; I can't understand why voluntarily blunting your CD4 T cell response during a covid pandemic would be considered a good thing.

India has been spared compared to the US. A population of 1.4 BILLION, with a death per million rate of 112, compared to the US with a population of 332 million with a dpm rate of over 1,400. India hasn't had a day with over 500 deaths since early December, while the US hasn't had a day with under 500 deaths a day since mid-November. India has never even had a day with over 1,500 deaths.

I don't think covid is raging in Africa; the consequences of covid raging in the developed countries they export to; is raging in Africa. "Blacks in the US die from covid at a higher rate than whites"; while in Africa, the "whiter" the country; the higher the deaths. The only country in Africa with a death rate higher than 500 per million is the country with the flu vaccine campaign; South Africa.

Well, Eswatini does but they barely even have one million people total. LDC's in Africa are more impacted by the covid in developed countries, due to difficulty exporting, than they are from the illness. Pick any less developed country in Africa & google it + news + covid & it's all about the economic hardships on farmers, not illness & deaths.

Quote:
The FDA gave hydroxychloroquine an EUA without evidence and then withdrew it.
The FDA gave convalescent plasma an EUA without evidence, hundreds of thousands of patients were treated, and now it's backtracking again when it finds it's not effective.

FDA Limits Use of Convalescent Plasma as Covid-19 Treatment
Agency to scale back authorization of the antibody-rich blood component after studies yielded mixed results

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-lim...ts_pos1&page=1
They have to scale it back anyway because you can't donate plasma after having the vaccine.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Also, Trevor Bedford goes more in depth to put that theory to rest here: https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1230634136102064128
What he "put to rest" is the notion that it was a bio-weapon, which I agree with.
But it was still a lab-leak, which is why the CCP is obfuscating every attempt to prove (or disprove) it.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:07 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
More anti-vax conspiracy theory.
Not really.
Ironically, they were engineering viruses with the end goal of making a pan-vaccine.
Any co-opting of that fact by the anti-vax community not withstanding.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:57 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Not really.
Ironically, they were engineering viruses with the end goal of making a pan-vaccine.
Any co-opting of that fact by the anti-vax community not withstanding.
I don't see any logic to the origin of the disease being useful to an anti-vax effort.

Let's say for a moment that a disease was, indeed, created as a biological weapon and let's even say it was deliberately released into the United States by an enemy nation.

How would that be a reason to oppose vaccination?

I see no way that the origin of the disease is a logical reason to oppose an effective vaccine against it.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:21 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Per the bolded: Exactly. CD4 T cell response is correlated with covid severity. The more robust the response; the less risk from severe covid. That's why for the life of me; I can't understand why voluntarily blunting your CD4 T cell response during a covid pandemic would be considered a good thing.
This theory you have latched onto does not correlate with what is happeng clinically.

Quote:
India has been spared compared to the US. A population of 1.4 BILLION, with a death per million rate of 112, compared to the US with a population of 332 million with a dpm rate of over 1,400. India hasn't had a day with over 500 deaths since early December, while the US hasn't had a day with under 500 deaths a day since mid-November. India has never even had a day with over 1,500 deaths.
They are not counting all of the deaths.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...857-2/fulltext

Quote:
I don't think covid is raging in Africa; the consequences of covid raging in the developed countries they export to; is raging in Africa. "Blacks in the US die from covid at a higher rate than whites"; while in Africa, the "whiter" the country; the higher the deaths. The only country in Africa with a death rate higher than 500 per million is the country with the flu vaccine campaign; South Africa.
Most African countries are not reporting all deaths. South Africa has better healthcare infrastructure and is doing better.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/covid-19-statistics-and-africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness