Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:16 AM

307 posts, read 255,896 times

Advertisements

"Retired" Massage Therapist here (My license is still active but I'm not practicing and have essentially burnt out.) A MT career can be highly rewarding but in essence it's feast or famine...massage is often the first thing to go when the economy goes to poo...franchises will work you to the bone; you work for tips; exposure to all sorts of illnesses (COVID was the straw that broke the camel's back for me). It's a good side gig for a bit of extra money especially if you own your own business and get to call all the shots....don't do it if you need the money though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 11:21 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I think it depends on where you live, too.

Here in Colorado Springs, I have a massage therapist friend who has two jobs (a full time and a part time one) and she is booked solid constantly. She's actually having to take care not to overwork and overtax herself.

But this is a military town, so I assume that has something to do with it.

She tells me that unfortunately she is one of the few who is even taking Covid seriously. Many of the massage therapists and acupuncturists she knows are of the more "granola" variety and they reject the vaccines because they're not "natural" medicine and they don't mask up either. It's odd, because I think a lot of folks assume it's only people on the political right who are against the vaccines and masks, but there is a flavor of that on the left as well.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I bought a massage chair during the pandemic. Love it.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:30 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I used to have a MT come to my home twice a week; that stopped when the pandemic started.

I have been spending way too long in our hot tub and my poor DH has been trying to properly massage me when the pain has been too great.

I bought a deep tissue massage gun which has saved my DH's hands and elbows. When wake up in the middle of the night in pain and don't want to wake my DH up I found this item:

Psoas Muscle Release Tool and Personal Body Massage for Release Back Bain, Trigger Point Physical Therapy with 6 Massage Heads

I can just lay on it, adjust it up and down my back and hips and it gets the job done.

I don't think I'll be going back to a MT when everything gets the all clear. I am sorry that my MT has lost so much business and hope he can recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness