Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:29 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Have you ever been in so much paid in one spot for so long that even after the paid in gone, there seems to be paid (discomfort) for having HAD the pain in that spot...like a "leftover soreness?"
I have. This is just idle speculation but I've wondered whether this sense of residual pain has more to do with the brain's memory of something traumatic. Like a neurological after image or deja vu. The brain built itself such a strong memory of the "real" pain that it takes more time to convince it that the pain has actually ended. It learned a lesson about that painful area and it was a strong lesson. So, the brain "assumes" pain is still present until other sensory information eventually convinces it otherwise. Sort of a delayed response. Maybe this is malarky but it sounds pretty good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 01:24 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The most common "diagnoses" in this thread include (in order of frequency of mention):

* Gallbladder/gallstones 7
* Food poisoning 3
* Eating something you don't ordinarily eat 3

One mention each:

* Gastritis
* Ulcerative colitis
* Epiploic appendigitis
* Food allergies
* Ulcer
* Bowel cancer

Executive summary: as I and others have said, if you have symptoms of this severity you're better off talking to medical professionals who have actually had diagnostic training than relying on the opinions of amateurs on the internet.
Remember that time you called Foreman "Mandingo"? Man, I thought for sure Cuddy was going to fire you.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:47 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^ THAT was funny! (and could only happen on TV)

I don't get the issue with asking online.
Seems the "non-medical professional consensus" or correct diagnosis was the one most often suggested. So the problem is what exactly???

Old 03-14-2021, 12:37 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't get the issue with asking online.
Seems the "non-medical professional consensus" or correct diagnosis was the one most often suggested. So the problem is what exactly???
For example: someone with the handle selhars suggests in a response that someone's abdominal pain is probably food poisoning. The poster (who is frightened and doesn't like doctors) decides to take some over the counter herbal crap. That night, the poster's appendix bursts and he dies the next day in agony.

Does selhars really want that on his/her conscience?

Why do people ask online what a bunch of amateur yahoos think his/her symptoms are about? Because they're looking for a way out so they don't have to go to the doctor. Giving uninformed responses to such a request without urging the person to Go To A Damned Doctor is accepting responsibility for those responses. Same thing when someone writes online that they're depressed and thinking of suicide and the amateur yahoos tell him/her to cheer up, it can't be that bad rather than urging him/her to seek professional help.

You may be an amateur, but you don't have to be a yahoo. That's a choice -- and an irresponsible one.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
For example: someone with the handle selhars suggests in a response that someone's abdominal pain is probably food poisoning. The poster (who is frightened and doesn't like doctors) decides to take some over the counter herbal crap. That night, the poster's appendix bursts and he dies the next day in agony.

Does selhars really want that on his/her conscience?

Why do people ask online what a bunch of amateur yahoos think his/her symptoms are about? Because they're looking for a way out so they don't have to go to the doctor. Giving uninformed responses to such a request without urging the person to Go To A Damned Doctor is accepting responsibility for those responses. Same thing when someone writes online that they're depressed and thinking of suicide and the amateur yahoos tell him/her to cheer up, it can't be that bad rather than urging him/her to seek professional help.

You may be an amateur, but you don't have to be a yahoo. That's a choice -- and an irresponsible one.
Yet the first ten or twelve responses to the first post and question, all recommended the OP go to the doctor and seek qualified medical advice (I'd have to go back and count). When the OP persisted in asking the personal experiences of others, knowing that this is an online forum and not WebMD, that's what they received, with some responses being more relevant than others. Two groups of adults sharing information and experiences. Sounds like you shouldn't participate on an online discussion board, due to your low opinion of them, especially in the "Health and Wellness" forum.

BTW, I always thought that Cameron was better looking than Thirteen, but that's just me.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^ As the OP here, I agree.
Quote:
Yet the first ten or twelve responses to the first post and question, all recommended the OP go to the doctor and seek qualified medical advice (I'd have to go back and count). When the OP persisted in asking the personal experiences of others, knowing that this is an online forum and not WebMD, that's what they received, with some responses being more relevant than others. Two groups of adults sharing information and experiences. Sounds like you shouldn't participate on an online discussion board, due to your low opinion of them, especially in the "Health and Wellness" forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness