Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times

Advertisements

A new study provides further evidence that people with certain blood types may be more likely to contract COVID-19.

Specifically, it found that the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) is particularly attracted to the blood group A antigen found on respiratory cells.

The SARS-CoV-2 RBD'S preference to recognize and attach to the blood type A antigen found in the lungs of people with blood type A may provide insight into the potential link between blood group A and COVID-19 infection, according to authors of the study. It was published March 3 in the journal Blood Advances.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...atory%20cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 08:53 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I have type A blood, but luckily have not contracted the virus. I've also heard that type O is the least likely to get it.

I will also say that my husband has type O blood and he literally never gets sick. Like never. There have been years where the kids and I all get the flu (like with a positive flu test), and he doesn't get it. Takes no measures to stay away from us or avoid it either, just doesn't get it. Same with strep and whatever illness is going around. We all lead pretty healthy lifestyles - eat very well (and the same thing, since same house), exercise, etc. I would dare say that I actually lead a healthier lifestyle than he does, but he never gets sick.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:02 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I'm sure this is interesting to medical science but not something that the average person needs to worry about. It would be too bad if everyone who is type A starts panicking and freaking out that they are a virus target. Both of my sisters are type A and had Covid along with their families (I don't know the blood types of their spouses and children), but everyone concerned had a mild case and recovered with no problems.

My mom was a type O and I remember her getting colds and the flu. I'm an A, my husband is a B, and it's been years since either of us was sick. There was one time in our married life, 20 years ago, that we had the flu, and we both got it and recovered equally quickly. We haven't had Covid.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:18 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
If you go to the hospitalization calculator, it's reflected in the probabilities. Asians and African-Americans have much chance of getting sick (3x) since a higher percentage of them have type B blood than Caucasians.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:13 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you go to the hospitalization calculator, it's reflected in the probabilities. Asians and African-Americans have much chance of getting sick (3x) since a higher percentage of them have type B blood than Caucasians.
But that's the opposite of saying that type A is more susceptible.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm sure this is interesting to medical science but not something that the average person needs to worry about. It would be too bad if everyone who is type A starts panicking and freaking out that they are a virus target. Both of my sisters are type A and had Covid along with their families (I don't know the blood types of their spouses and children), but everyone concerned had a mild case and recovered with no problems.

My mom was a type O and I remember her getting colds and the flu. I'm an A, my husband is a B, and it's been years since either of us was sick. There was one time in our married life, 20 years ago, that we had the flu, and we both got it and recovered equally quickly. We haven't had Covid.
Just a personal anecdote:

I am 59. I have type O positive blood, which is the most common blood type. I am rarely sick, BUT if I don't get a flu vaccine, I do get the flu, every single year. The straight up, sick as a dog, fever, in the bed hacking up a lung, skin and joints aching flu. If I get a flu vaccine, for any variant, I simply don't get the flu. So, I haven't been sick in YEARS, other than three days last December (2019) when I thought "Holy moly, I'm getting a cold or something!" because I had a sore throat, congestion, runny nose, and a low grade fever for three days, and then it vanished as quickly as it came on.

I do take good care of my immune system, eat well, etc. All my blood work is good. I feel really blessed.

I don't think I am immune to COVID 19 but hey, I will take any leg up I can get. Going back for my second vaccine shot Saturday. Pfizer. I'm feeling more confident. These studies that suggest that blood type makes a difference make me feel more confident as well.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
You're the first I've heard state that this is cause and effect and I'm not buying it.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:

From CDC data as of today:

Asians are 0.7x more likely than caucasians to get infected. African-Americans are 1.1x more likely than caucasians to get infected. I would be more concerned about underlying health and socio-economic factors. Everyone should participate in prevention factors, this report raises concern that may lead to 'O' type people to disregard prevention tactics.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:01 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Along those same lines, even though it sounds loony, people who have more Neanderthal in their history are less likely to contract COVID. Neanderthals resided mostly in Scandinavia, I believe. Those that stayed behind in Africa are not Neanderthal and those who went to Asia, apparently don't have the Neanderthal either.

I wonder how that corresponds with blood types? If you took a DNA tests on a genealogy site they tell you your % of Neanderthal. Maybe Neanderthal descendants have more people with type O blood?

Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I have type A blood, but luckily have not contracted the virus. I've also heard that type O is the least likely to get it.

I will also say that my husband has type O blood and he literally never gets sick. Like never. There have been years where the kids and I all get the flu (like with a positive flu test), and he doesn't get it. Takes no measures to stay away from us or avoid it either, just doesn't get it. Same with strep and whatever illness is going around. We all lead pretty healthy lifestyles - eat very well (and the same thing, since same house), exercise, etc. I would dare say that I actually lead a healthier lifestyle than he does, but he never gets sick.
I am type O and never had the flu, unless I was asymptomatic. It doesn't mean I can't get it, but I seem to be less susceptible to contracting it. I've been around a long time. Don't know if I've had SARS2 yet.

Types A, B and AB are also known to be at higher risk than type O for developing certain cancers, heart disease and few others. You have probably lowered your risks with a healthy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness