Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times

Advertisements

When I was 23 and younger, I ate sugary items and I think I didn't even bother to add in any healthy foods - sugary items did the trick as a food group. I ran all the time. I ran alot. I ate some pretty over the top sweets (like suzie q's where you take the tops off, eat those first and smush the frosted pieces together and have a big overspill sandwich of frosting). As I got involved in a healthier lifestyle actually during my mid twenties, that all changed, plus diabetes runs in our family. I eat clean now and have for a number of years. I don't touch sugar whatsoever. Starting earlier means avoiding problems later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:35 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Consuming 3 non-diet sodas a week increases your risk for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. If you drink alcohol as well, as I seem to recall you do, you're hammering your liver even more.

But hey, it's your life. Wouldn't want any "health nuts" interfering with your bizarre appetites.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:02 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
True confessions here, when I was 23 and had my first office job, I was drinking 5-6 Pepsi's a day. Break, lunch, break, dinner, evening. Started running into minor health issues, did allergy testing and found out I had become allergic/sensitive to corn syrup. That was almost 40 years ago and I've been drinking good water and black coffee ever since.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:04 AM

68 posts, read 43,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am 23. I am 5’11” and about 130 lbs, and I work out (chest, legs or back) 3 times a week. I also get out for walks on most warm days.

The sodas are usually either a 20-oz bottle or 12-oz can, and at least one 24-oz restaurant-sized glass with ice.

I started packing it on when I was about your age. Lost the weight over 10 years ago by going lower carb (around 100 grams a day).

Are your parents overweight or obese? Do they have health issues?

Old 03-29-2021, 09:22 AM

820 posts, read 972,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Consuming 3 non-diet sodas a week increases your risk for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. If you drink alcohol as well, as I seem to recall you do, you're hammering your liver even more.

But hey, it's your life. Wouldn't want any "health nuts" interfering with your bizarre appetites.
You’re a health nut clearly, and a rude one at that. You’re calling my appetites “bizarre” when I’d say it’s pretty darn normal. If it’s “bizarre” to enjoy an ice cream on a hot summer night or an ice cold soda once in a while, yeah, I guess myself and many other Americans are “bizarre” too. What a joke.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:07 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Gosh, I wish I were 23 again. No, I wish I had the body of a 23-year-old, with my current knowledge and finances. I was dumb and broke at 23.

There are a million food plans and variations, and their followers each believe they've found the perfect one, so you're going to get a lot of conflicting answers.

I've been reading up on gut bacteria lately. Here's a simplified version of what I've learned:
Apparently, some bacteria eat sugar, others prefer protein, dairy, fat, or whatever.
If your gut biome (the mix of bacteria you host) includes a lot of the sugar-eaters, you'll crave sweets.

If you cut out sweets for a few weeks, those bacteria won't reproduce as quickly, and you'll lose the craving.

If you cut out meat, the meat-eaters will die off, and meat won't seem as appealing. You may also have trouble digesting meat if you do eat it.

But you won't kill off all the bacteria, and if you add the sugar or meat back in, those bacteria populations will quickly grow (much faster than they died off), and you'll crave again.

A big problem with sugar is that it's a lot of calories with few nutrients. Your body would be better supported by eating nutrient-dense foods like veggies and protein.

Last edited by steiconi; 03-29-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 10:10 AM

130,306 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just to be clear, sugar is NOT a toxic poison, it's not toxic, and it's not a poison, period. To hear a nutritionist (does he have any real certifications or is that just what he calls himself?) talk that way would have me running in the other direction. Food doesn't cause ulcers and sugar is food. As for the rest, I doubt he or anyone knows exactly the limit on how much sugar you can imbibe before experiencing negative impacts and there are certainly individual differences.

If you want to eat less sugar and few carbs, go right ahead - but tell your nutritionist friend that fruits also contain sugar so he should be dead if that counts as a toxic poison. Don't let him tell you that you must follow a zero carb diet or even zero sugar - use some common sense and find someone who is actually qualified to give medical advice.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I read recently that high-fructose reduces the effectiveness of vitamin D.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:22 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Gosh, I wish I were 23 again. No, I wish I had the body of a 23-year-old, with my current knowledge and finances. I was dumb and broke at 23.

There are a million food plans and variations, and their followers each believe they've found the perfect one, so you're going to get a lot of conflicting answers.

I've been reading up on gut bacteria lately. Here's a simplified version of what I've learned:
Apparently, some bacteria eat sugar, others prefer protein, dairy, fat, or whatever.
If your gut biome (the mix of bacteria you host) includes a lot of the sugar-eaters, you'll crave sweets.

If you cut out sweets for a few weeks, those bacteria won't reproduce as quickly, and you'll lose the craving.

If you cut out meat, the meat-eaters will die off, and meat won't seem as appealing. You may also have trouble digesting meat if you do eat it.

But you won't kill off all the bacteria, and if you add the sugar or meat back in, those bacteria populations will quickly grow (much faster than they died off), and you'll crave again.

A big problem with sugar is that it's a lot of calories with few nutrients. Your body would be better supported by eating nutrient-dense foods like veggies and protein.
Interesting info. When sugar is mentioned, does this include raw fruit, which is fructose, or is it just sucrose?

Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just to be clear, sugar is NOT a toxic poison, it's not toxic, and it's not a poison, period. To hear a nutritionist (does he have any real certifications or is that just what he calls himself?) talk that way would have me running in the other direction. Food doesn't cause ulcers and sugar is food. As for the rest, I doubt he or anyone knows exactly the limit on how much sugar you can imbibe before experiencing negative impacts and there are certainly individual differences.

If you want to eat less sugar and few carbs, go right ahead - but tell your nutritionist friend that fruits also contain sugar so he should be dead if that counts as a toxic poison. Don't let him tell you that you must follow a zero carb diet or even zero sugar - use some common sense and find someone who is actually qualified to give medical advice.
I agree with this response. Sugar is not a toxic poison. It is, however, a good idea to figure out ways to lower how much sugar and fat you consume. As I've gotten older, I have made major cutbacks in things like soft drinks, fruit juice, doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, potato chips, candy, fast food, etc. But at 66, I don't count calories and have never been on a diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness