Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 10:35 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times

Advertisements

steiconi, this was 99% probably a spam call. Never give out personnel information when someone calls you. Only do that if you call someone, and don't use the number that they called you on or left in a message.

The other day I got about 6 spam calls within a couple of hours from the same area in California, I googled the numbers and saw that they are businesses. Spammers spoof other numbers to make you think the calls are coming from legitimate businesses. These spammers could probably make as much money if they put their skills into real business ventures. I really wish there was a way for these spammers to get caught but I heard that most of the calls originate outside the US so they can't really be tracked and stopped.

I too never answer my phone unless I know who is calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 10:46 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I just got a call from out of my area code from someone who claimed to be calling about my back and hip pain and osteoarthritis. He had my full name and birthdate, but didn't mention a doctor, just "mumble medical".

Of course I have occasional hip and back pain, I'm at that age, but I've never discussed it with a doctor. I kept asking where he got this information, but he was evasive. I eventually hung up on him because I think it was some kind of scam.

Anyone else get weird calls like this?
Scam. Are you over 65 or near that age? They got phone numbers of people over a certain age then make phone calls that might sound like they would be legitimate looking for things like your medicare number.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's no point blocking numbers, as they can change their numbers as easy as breathing air. And you see it reached the limit already, with continued issues, so that's a loosing game.

Just don't answer, and check for messages left, since those will be the only things that have a chance of being relevant. Other than that, there's nothing more to do. Just let the junk come and go.
This is how blocking works for me. I have an android phone and have a call blocker that doesn't ring my phone but they go to voice mail (actually the one I have also can just hang up on them). I block everyone but those who are in my contacts and my local area code which differs from my cell phone area code. Since I send them all to voice mail the occasional legitimate call gets through. Very rarely do they leave voice mail and ironically those that do are calls that somehow never actually would have rang my phone (some new scammer way of getting you to listen to their message). Doesn't stop the repeated phone calls but at least they don't ring.

If you have a home phone landline register the number with nomorobo.com. It will stop a good many of them. They won an FTC award over 5 years ago for this service. It is free for landlines, the app and service for cell phones cost so I use a free blocker.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:06 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post

If you have a home phone landline register the number with nomorobo.com. It will stop a good many of them. They won an FTC award over 5 years ago for this service. It is free for landlines, the app and service for cell phones cost so I use a free blocker.
jeeze, first they have to check your number, then they send an email, then you sign up for a nomorobo account, then you log into your phone's account...
Had to reset my phone account.
Then it says to go to the nomorobo section in phone management. There IS no such section. I've just spent as much time trying to set this up as it would take to ignore dozens of robocalls, to no avail. Sigh.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-02-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 01:40 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Definitely sounds like a scam. There are untold numbers of scumbag losers across the country and world who have no legitimate life, and resort to that nonsense.

Did you try to Google the phone number? There are lots of reverse call sites that will tend to log similar notes from other unfortunate receivers of these bogus calls.

I never answer my phone any more unless it's from someone in my contacts. If it's important and legitimate, they can always leave a message, and I can call them back. No difficulty there. But it's the perfect way to screen out the nonsense, and you never have to waste any more of your time.
Unfortunately FloridaBlue uses reps who work from home with dedicated outgoing-only cell phones to communicate with their members. Because of HIPAA law, they *cannot* leave a message saying why they called, and you can't call their number directly, so you can't return their call. They're not even allowed to state in a voice mail who they're looking for. Because if they misdialed, or if a spouse didn't know about the person being insured, it could cause problems.

So the only way you'll know that FloridaBlue was even trying to get in touch with you, is if you pick up the phone. And guess what: Caller ID doesn't identify them.

And so I'm stuck answering the phone whenever it rings, which of course lets ALL scammers know that the phone number they're calling is legit and someone picks up on the other line.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:09 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
OP, this is why my default ringtone is SILENT (and has been for many years). I never even hear scammers' calls; I just see, usually hours later when I look at my phone, that I got a call. They almost never leave a message.

Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THOSE calls (unless I want to! ).

Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
There's no point blocking numbers, as they can change their numbers as easy as breathing air. And you see it reached the limit already, with continued issues, so that's a loosing game.

Just don't answer, and check for messages left, since those will be the only things that have a chance of being relevant. Other than that, there's nothing more to do. Just let the junk come and go.

I got a call from my own phone number once!

Old 04-02-2021, 08:47 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I just got a call from out of my area code from someone who claimed to be calling about my back and hip pain and osteoarthritis. He had my full name and birthdate, but didn't mention a doctor, just "mumble medical".

Of course I have occasional hip and back pain, I'm at that age, but I've never discussed it with a doctor. I kept asking where he got this information, but he was evasive. I eventually hung up on him because I think it was some kind of scam.

A slight bit different but in February 1974, a bit more than a year after my father died, I got a call to sell me a tombstone. Only trouble was, we cremated.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

I got a call a day or two after I had an appointment with an orthopedist about one of my knees. The caller knew I'd had a knee appointment, though he didn't mention any doctor's name. He was trying to sell me a walker, and said insurance will cover it. And I said, I don't need a walker, I'm fine. He kept pushing this, saying insurance will pay, and I kept saying I don't need any help walking, I'm doing fine on my own. He kept trying, then gave up.

I should call the doctor's office, to see if they give out patient's phone numbers, but probably HIPAA laws don't let them...? I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A slight bit different but in February 1974, a bit more than a year after my father died, I got a call to sell me a tombstone. Only trouble was, we cremated.
They probably read the obituaries, and get your name from there, then look up your contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness