Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 08:51 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Every vaccine administered is documented. Healthcare providers are required to keep records of all care provided for many years. Most states have vaccine registries. The card is just for your personal records. When the time comes it won't be that card that is used as proof.
That's going to require herding cats...those healthcare providers have decades of competitive practices that prevent easy and reliable retrieval of such records, and in some cases, state laws, just as states are dragging their feet on mandating electronic record keeping.

States and the federal government will have to draft laws that permit secure retrieval of records and secure management of those records to secure "passport" or ID creation. That's not something that has ever been done in American society outside closed areas such as national intelligence security. Certainly not encompassing every individual in the nation.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:03 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
This is just nonsense. I feel like we'll never be back to normal. People have become completely irrational over a virus with a 99 percent survival rate. I just can't believe it. I'll get the vaccine (even though I don't think I need it), just to move this all along. I feel like I'm one of the only few who hasn't been scared of this virus at all.
Because you aren't in the high risk group of disability or death means people who are were being irrational all this time? Driving drunk has a 99% survival rate too...

There is Brazil, pretending it was always a hoax. They are having a swell time piling up the bodies...

Old 04-08-2021, 09:17 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Vaccinated people could also be "throwing off variants".
Not likely. The vaccines are now known to prevent infection. If you are not infected there is no virus to produce a variant to "throw off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, at least for this vaccination go-around, there hasn't been a reliable national- or state-level record system put into place in most areas to prevent rampant "vaccination passport" counterfeiting. That was an unintended consequence of the emergency situation of getting people vaccinated as quickly as possible.
There are state level registries.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/about.html

Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

There are state level registries.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/about.html

We will revisit this later if/when the mad dash for vaccination ID cards begins to see how agley those well-laid plans of mice and men go.

In the meantime, I'd like to see some state agency try a trial run county-wide retrieval. When was the IIS last given a mass exercise? Or will we presume that everything is just fine until the balloon goes up...like those PPE stockpiles?

I've written plans like that for the military. We could send people to jail for noncompliance, and we still got noncompliance.

"No operational plan ever survived contact with the enemy" -- unknown military commander...probably Julius Caesar

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 04-08-2021 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-08-2021, 09:48 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
This is just nonsense. I feel like we'll never be back to normal. People have become completely irrational over a virus with a 99 percent survival rate. I just can't believe it. I'll get the vaccine (even though I don't think I need it), just to move this all along. I feel like I'm one of the only few who hasn't been scared of this virus at all.
I'm also one of the few where the virus would not even enter my thoughts if not for the relentless reporting of the virus by the media. Then again, I live in a city (Townsville, QLD, Australia) that has had no cases of Covid-19 at all.

It DOES irk me, however, that 8 people in Brisbane (1100-plus kilometers from Townsville) contracted the virus (8 people!) and the ENTIRE population of the state of QLD were mandated to wear masks when in public gathering areas. Absolutely ridiculous! And, due to my rather casual approach to the topic, I hadn't received this memo of mandatory mask-wearing. I guess it (the memo) came via the TV or social media and, for me anyway, it hadn't registered.

In any event, I was honestly not aware of this state directive. And so, at a dental appointment last week I innocently walked into the surgery waiting room not wearing a mask. I was somewhat surprised to see that the 8-10 others sitting there WERE all wearing masks. However, I still didn't catch on until a man got up and poked me in the back as I waited at the receptionist desk. "You're supposed to be wearing a mask!" the guy yelled, red-faced and frothing at the mouth. It was really in-your-face-stuff and it truly took me by surprise. I was momentarily stunned and thought for a fleeting second that the guy was joking. After I realized that this was no joke I felt anger welling up inside me that someone should approach me in this uncouth manner.

Still caught off-guard somewhat I sputtered out something about 8 people having contracted the C-19 virus 1100-plus ks away and as to how ridiculous it was for we in this area to be affected by those 8 people at all. And so, the hostility began, albeit only for a few minutes. The receptionist just winked without a word and simply handed me a mask.

It occurred to me after that incident that Covid-19 per se is the least of most of the issues that have arisen because of it. The fear and the hostility that fear can create - even when the fear is only imagined - is what will linger with us all for a long time.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Is there any evience that there is rampant counterfeiting?
Saw some on ebay, but ebay yanked them. Some guy was on the news caught making and selling them to his friends and their friends.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Because you aren't in the high risk group of disability or death means people who are were being irrational all this time? Driving drunk has a 99% survival rate too...
Thank you. I've always said I'm not afraid of dying from COVID; the percentages are pretty small and I'm in very good health, I'm afraid of surviving it with major "long-haul" issues. That part appears to be a crapshoot. I have some great travel plans all stacked up and waiting, including snorkeling off Belize and Guatemala in October. I don't want to have to stay on the boat because of lung damage, or sit out the hikes up mountains.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's going to require herding cats...those healthcare providers have decades of competitive practices that prevent easy and reliable retrieval of such records, and in some cases, state laws, just as states are dragging their feet on mandating electronic record keeping.

States and the federal government will have to draft laws that permit secure retrieval of records and secure management of those records to secure "passport" or ID creation. That's not something that has ever been done in American society outside closed areas such as national intelligence security. Certainly not encompassing every individual in the nation.

The way I see it working IF a pvaccine passport is created is similar to travel passport which requires you submitting birth certificates or other proofs of id. You must apply for the passport and provide the evidence required which will mean you going to your healthcare provider that vaccinated you and getting a copy of your record. Or provide the card you were given, which might be faked but carries huge penalties if caught doing so.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.theverge.com/22370176/co...-herd-immunity

It will be a while before we are back to "normal"
This is hilarious

With the exception of a few weeks last spring, everything about my and my family's life has been normal apart from seeing masked people everywhere.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:00 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Nope. That's a maybe on the booster, and its looking like just one will be needed to cover the variants. And we will have enough supply next fall/winter to easily do it. No doom and gloom, sorry.

A booster is a shot............so if everyone, 335-million, need that booster, it is basically the same
dynamic as the need for the initial vax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness