Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In my life I:
have never broken a single bone. Also, no sprains or other injuries. I am golden! 15 15.15%
have never broken a bone, but have had other serious soft tissue injuries 23 23.23%
have indeed broken a bone, but it was a relatively minor issue. 25 25.25%
have had a very serious fracture. 12 12.12%
have had multiple non-serious fractures. 12 12.12%
have had multiple serious fractures. 12 12.12%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 04:12 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I am curious as to how many of us have had or have never had any broken bones. I am going to see if I can include a poll with this thread.

In comments, please add your age and any particulars as to the cause of your fractures, or instead to what you attribute your lack of fractures (good luck, strong bones, lifestyle, etc...)

I realize “serious” and “non serious” are subjective. What do you want? It isn’t a scientific poll.
I'm 40 and I've had no "serious" sprains or injuries. But yes, that is subjective. When I was around 13 or 14 I fell on both my wrists while delivering papers in the morning. It hurt a lot and up until about the last 10 years or so I would feel a pain in my wrists before it would rain (which was awesome--b/c I'm kind of psychotic like that--and also because I could say better than any weather forecast whether it would rain or not).

But I never had it treated at a doctor's or anything like that, or actually found out if it was a real sprain (though it sure seemed like it was) and neither were my wrists significantly immobilized because of that. So I wouldn't consider that a serious sprain. I remember sometimes wearing one of those wrist braces sporadically, probably because of the pain from that; but then it also could have been due to my job (pharmacist) because of the repetitiveness of twisting bottles open and closed all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 07:27 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Broke my left arm at 7 trying to do tricks on the swing set.

Cracked my rib a couple years ago, took about 8 weeks to feel normal again. I've sprained my ankle probably 4 times.

Six months ago, at 62, was playing a rambunctious game of driveway basketball with my grandkids and the 3 year old and I collided. Didn't want to land on her so I went the other way. Knocked my left wrist an inch off where it was supposed to be and my right elbow shattered. Had a 7 hour surgery and 4 days in the hospital getting new body parts.

My problem is I don't feel or act like I'm in my 60's, I guess. Some asked why I would be playing basketball. I'm like, why wouldn't I?

Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I stepped up on a curb wrong when I was 23 & 6 months pregnant & fell, fracturing both the tibia & malleolus in my right leg. (leg & ankle). I was in my last semester of nursing school & graduated 9 months pregnant on crutches with a broken leg. Not a pretty site but I did it.

Those pregnancy hormones that soften your joints are no joke, ugh.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:10 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
And you never took those stairs again?
HAHAHA! They were the porch steps where I lived, I think they put grip tape after. Once is an accident but twice? Something must be done

Old 04-21-2021, 10:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
When I was five, we had some kind of family picnic in the backyard, and I took all the uneaten crusts from the hamburger rolls to put in the bird feeder, which was hanging from a tree branch in the backyard. I couldn't reach it, so I went in the house and got the little garbage can from the bathroom, which I turned upside down and stood on. I could JUST barely get the bread in the feeder and was standing on my tippy-toes when it went over and I landed on my left arm. It hurt really bad, and I ran inside to tell my mother, who kind of brushed it off. She had five kids at that time, and we were always getting hurt. Told me to run it under cold water.

Well, I can remember that I used to get the toilet paper from the roll with my left hand because it was on that side of the toilet, but I couldn't make that arm work right, so I reached over with my right and made other adjustments over the next couple of days. Then my mother saw me putting on my pants one morning and asked why I was trying to get dressed the way I was, just using one hand. I told her because my other arm hurt from when I fell and I couldn't get it to work right.

THEN she took me to the hospital. I still remember enjoying the attention I was getting. The doctor and the nurse asked me to tell how I had hurt my arm, and I told them the story, and then a lady with a clipboard came in and asked me again.

This was 1963, but even back then some reports of child abuse had been coming in and the hospital was on alert to look out for them. Unbeknownst to me, my mother was also being questioned about why she waited so long to take me to the hospital. I guess since my tale was consistent, they believed it and let poor Mom off the hook.

The bone in my forearm was fractured. I got a plaster cast and a sling, and my sling had my name printed on it, and that's how I learned to write and spell my name. Even better, I had a good story to throw at my mother when I got older.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:28 AM

273 posts, read 208,236 times
I broke two toes, painful but quick and easy recoveries both times.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:41 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
A neighbor kid I knew broke her elbow playing Tiddly Winks. Must have been a bit embarrassing to explain! Seem to recall a friend's mother broke her ankle while playing tennis...but it wasn't during some heated volley. She wasn't in motion. She was waiting for the other players to walk on to the court, stepped backward, and the next thing she knew she was on the ground.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I'm 28 years old. I broke my thumb in April 2005, when I was 12, doing something incredibly stupid; swinging two barbells together.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM

85 posts, read 35,316 times
I have never broken a bone and that wasn't a result of sitting at home all day.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:58 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
There should be another choice: unknown. Some people didn't know they had broken bones until years later some doctor told them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness