Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:58 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

I don't know if any of these apply to you, but they've worked for me:

1) Don't drink alcohol close to bedtime.
2) Don't shower right before bedtime.
3) Lose weight.
4) Cut most or all refined sugar from your diet, eliminate fruit juices, and limit sweet fruits.
5) Exercise more (in general, not right before bedtime).

Like I said, I don't know if any of those apply to you, but those, or some combination of those, has greatly reduced how much I sweat at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 01:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default if you're in N. Carolina you're out of luck.................but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
NOT menopause related.

I'm specifically asking if you use some kind of special sheets, mattress pad, mattress, blankets or other bedding.

The thermostat is already turned down as much as DH can stand it and that's pretty cold.)
if you're in Arizona I'm puzzled. How about letting us Luddites know which state you're having this problem in?? In NC you can hear the corn grow at night, it's so humid. Arizona, not so much.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:43 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Just another couple of things to try:
1) when I was younger I would go to the pub and drink a pint of orange juice and lemonade every night because I did not want to drink alcohol. I started to have night sweats and I was advised to switch away from orange juice and lemonade. The fizzy drinks were causing the nightly sweating and as soon as I stopped the sugary fizzy drinks (lemonade each night), the sweats stopped as well.

2) The Triple Heater meridian is the one which regulates temperature, so maybe try some stretches of that and the other meridians. The Triple Heater may well be out of balance. These are often found in Tai Chi or Qi Gong courses online and although they are no good for building stamina they are good for stimulating the energy lines(meridians) of the body.

3) My heart rate used to be up around the 99 mark all the time and I was always literally the hot body around in cold and in warm weather. I just used to run hot.

In general, it may be a physiology thing, but better to get a doctors checkout in case it is something else.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

3) Lose weight.
4) Cut most or all refined sugar from your diet, eliminate fruit juices, and limit sweet fruits.

Like I said, I don't know if any of those apply to you, but those, or some combination of those, has greatly reduced how much I sweat at night.
I'm not the OP, but I posted that I also have this issue. My issue is definitely not related to the temperature of my bedroom, and it is not related to any of these items, except possibly the alcohol, but I have not noticed a correlation. I've only had very minor night sweating in the past week or so. It seems to occur sporadically.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
snip
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions of underlying medical conditions, but it's immaterial. I should have stated upfront that this sweating started when I had a stoke in 1998. The physicians believe that the part of the brain that regulates temperature was slightly damaged. I was previously a person who was always cold; since the stroke, I am someone who runs decidely warm.
end snip

I absolutely understand this as I had my first stroke in 95. I also damaged my spinal cord when I was rehabbing from the stroke, so my temperature is all over the place.

As I said in my other post bamboo fabrics have been a lifesaver. I have also been known to slip cold packs in my pillowcase, which does help.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
if you're in Arizona I'm puzzled. How about letting us Luddites know which state you're having this problem in?? In NC you can hear the corn grow at night, it's so humid. Arizona, not so much.
We haven't been living in phoenix since 2012 when we moved to Raleigh. We use the a/c at night in both states - and the problem has existed in both states AND wherever we have traveled.

When we travel, I've noticed it's sometimes better and sometimes worse; I suspect that has something to do with the type of bedding. Changing to a 100% latex mattress definitely helped to a degree (thank you Brooklyn Beds.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 05-17-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

3) Lose weight.

I never shower at night. As far as the other suggestions, they are ABSOLUTELY valid, and I should follow that advice for general health reasons. However, I sincerely doubt that it would have much effect on my night sweating since that is caused by permanent brain damage.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
snipend snip

I absolutely understand this as I had my first stroke in 95. I also damaged my spinal cord when I was rehabbing from the stroke, so my temperature is all over the place.

As I said in my other post bamboo fabrics have been a lifesaver. I have also been known to slip cold packs in my pillowcase, which does help.
Thank you for the suggestion of bamboo sheets! I WILL look into those.

The cold packs are an interesting idea, but do they help with sweating below your neck?

Old 05-17-2021, 12:23 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion of bamboo sheets! I WILL look into those.

The cold packs are an interesting idea, but do they help with sweating below your neck?
There are some major blood vessels in your neck that are relatively close to the surface. Cold packs placed in the right spots can help cool the rest of you.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:13 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are some major blood vessels in your neck that are relatively close to the surface. Cold packs placed in the right spots can help cool the rest of you.
Yeah, a cold pack (or even a cold or damp towel) on the back of your neck can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness