Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
When you were pregnant???? I hope everything is ok now!
Yeah, not a picnic and we had a vacation planned/paid for three days after so had to go - me and my boot. It took longer to heal they thought bc of the extra weight I was carrying but eventually the toes healed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 07:29 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I was moving my bare foot forward when I failed to clear the corner of a wall. It caught the second toe from the little toe and bent it at a right angle to my foot. The toe that took the brunt of the impact swelled and got dark purple. The little toe less so, and the top of my foot swelled a bit and turned a pale shade of green.

I didn't do anything about it. It's been at least three years since it healed. The toe next to my little toe has less movement that it did before. It also sometimes swells a little and gets a bit numb, as it something is blocking blood flow. Unless it starts looking like it might fall off, I can live with it. However, in retrospect, I probably should have gone to the doc after I injured it.
I think I broke that same toe on my right foot when I also ran it into a corner as I was doing my usual charging through the house ( I don't charge anymore, I'm too old, LOL). I saw stars, the toe swelled up, looked like a grape on a swollen stalk and I couldn't move it. I didn't get medical help for it, figuring they wouldn't do anymore than I could do myself, ie, buddy wrap, ice, elevate, NSAIDS. It healed, and fortunately I can move it ok. But that toe looks markedly different than it did before, and different from the same toe on the other foot. It's much shorter than the other toe, and the end is rather bulbous.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
It's making me cringe too!

Stepping on a lego???
Stepping on a lego with bare feet is very painful. Ask your friends with small kids, LOL. Thankfully, my kids were not huge into legos, so it happened to me only once.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:38 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
A podiatrist for fractured toes? She needs to see an orthopedic dr. not a podiatrist. Where does she live? Does she have anyone who can help her. I am going to assume she does not live in the USA.
LOL. Why do you think that she needs to see an orthopedic doctor? What do you think he or she would do (if anything) with the aunt's fractured toes that a podiatrist wouldn't or couldn't?

Old 06-04-2021, 02:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
When I was working in a Rehab Hospital while in Grad school in the 90s, PM&R was the generally accepted name for the specialty. That's obviously changed and everyone, including my spouse who is Ortho, calls them Physiatrists now it seems. As I recall, the specialty seemed to gain a lot of appeal and popularity in the 2000s for Med students to try and match into because it was considered a "lifestyle" specialty. I think it's since cooled way off, though I could be wrong.

Also, these stories of how people on here broke their toes are making me cringe a bit. At least nobody's mentioned stepping on a lego...
Yup, I graduated from med school in 2007, and PM&R was gaining popularity back then. The problem is, that in med school, there are no required rotations and many med students have zero exposure to it. So unless you do an elective, it's hard to really learn much about it. Also, it's a little nebulous as to what exactly they do from a med student's perspective, because they overlap a lot with Ortho, Neurology, Rheumatology, and Physical Therapy, so it's hard to understand what they do. DO (osteopathic students) I think are probably a little more knowledgeable about it since they undergo some physical medicine training.

As an MD (allopathic) student, I really didn't get much exposure to the specialty, although it popped up when we were given information about specialties.

But it is definitely a nice lifestyle specialty. When I did my IM residency, I learned a little about inpatient PM&R (stroke rehab) because I knew one of the residents. If I could go back into time, I'd definitely look into it more. It still has not gained a lot of notoriety from the general public yet, but it's a pretty cool specialty.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Great info, I'll text my Aunt!

My Aunt saw Podiatrist

- She has Jones fracture - a severe kind.

- Must keep weight off the foot

- No Advil because it weakens bones. Only take if pain is intolerable (my Aunt and Podiatrist agree that Advice once at night is sufficient. Rest of time she will take Asprin)

- Setting up ultrasound therapy everyday. Someone will come to my Aunt's home to show her how to do it

- Also mentioned the knee scooter (much better than crutches!). I'll ask my Aunt to see if a nearby senior center can loan it to her.

Thank you once again!
Call the doctor, assuming she has medicare part B they will cover the scooter, or a walker or whatever else she needs

Old 06-05-2021, 05:21 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Also, these stories of how people on here broke their toes are making me cringe a bit. At least nobody's mentioned stepping on a lego...

Haha, my left foot got mangled when a SAM hit the chopper I was in. I wasn't able to get medical attention for it right away and my toes ended up all bent and twisted. It was more than a year before I could get the Army hospital at my official duty station to do some corrective surgery before I ETS'd.

Corrective surgery amounted to re-breaking bones, cutting joints, and inserting (pounding in) stainless steel to be left while the bones fused. The SS was left sticking out, to be removed after the bones fused. The SS was bent at a right angle like an allen wrench, and after a few weeks I could spin the rods around like screwing in a bolt...it was great for meeting women at the bar ('sympathy' factor). Hey, got to be a 'light' side to this story, right?

(Yeah, decades later it still hurts, sometimes intensely, so I *have* to focus on the 'bright side'.)

Old 06-06-2021, 06:43 PM

533 posts, read 482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Call the doctor, assuming she has medicare part B they will cover the scooter, or a walker or whatever else she needs
She had Medicare, says they will cover these things.

She's looking for a scooter that can move on carpet.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 PM

533 posts, read 482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Haha, my left foot got mangled when a SAM hit the chopper I was in. I wasn't able to get medical attention for it right away and my toes ended up all bent and twisted. It was more than a year before I could get the Army hospital at my official duty station to do some corrective surgery before I ETS'd.

Corrective surgery amounted to re-breaking bones, cutting joints, and inserting (pounding in) stainless steel to be left while the bones fused. The SS was left sticking out, to be removed after the bones fused. The SS was bent at a right angle like an allen wrench, and after a few weeks I could spin the rods around like screwing in a bolt...it was great for meeting women at the bar ('sympathy' factor). Hey, got to be a 'light' side to this story, right?

(Yeah, decades later it still hurts, sometimes intensely, so I *have* to focus on the 'bright side'.)

I am sorry to hear this.

It is sad what people have to go through.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:52 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
I am sorry to hear this.

It is sad what people have to go through.

I appreciate the sentiment, but there are others far more deserving of it than I am. I volunteered, not just for service, but for a special duty that I *knew* would put me into conflict. I was looking for adventure, and I found it.

Those who are most deserving of it, are those who were drafted and didn't want to fight but did it anyway, and NG troops that I feel should not have been expected to be deployed overseas- that is the expected job of the regular forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness