Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:05 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times

Advertisements

I'm from Mississippi. I grew up in a rural slum, very typical of many all-minority "communities" in that state. Over a fifth of Mississippi's children are obese. Currently, the state leads the nation in adult obesity. Mississippi generally is at the top of all the bad lists, and at the bottom of the good lists. At any given moment, the state has too many young people dying, from a host of conditions which should not touch people so young.

The diet there, among poor, brown kids like I was, is unimaginably sugary. And then there are the other carbs - in "Heart-healthy Cereals!" - in breads - in the "iconic" 'Mac-&-Cheese'.... all those easy things to stick in front of the kids, so you won't have to spend too much time away from watching your stories. There's meat, but the preferred way of serving it, is to coat it in a "savory" sauce that's mostly sugar. And whichever meats include the most hidden sugars, are going to be the ones chosen by Mississippi's poor.

Most poor Mississippians, would consider this nightmarish list of sugary restaurant items, to be the ultimate in good eating: https://www.eatthis.com/sugar-in-restaurant-food/ One Buffalo Wings establishment had an item on that list. It has Mississippi locations. Here, a group of that chain's young Mississippi customers (notice that their bodies scream, "Metabolic Syndrome!", while their brains scream, "Inflammation and Dysglycemia!") have a bit of a brawl. Jackson Jambalaya: Buffalo Brawl

Not that those of higher social status eat much better. Even the restaurant in Jackson's (now defunct) health food co-op, served such sickeningly-sweet food, we had to stop going there. And the (defunct) "Kosher" deli, the go-to eatery for the state's upper crust, used dough for its bagels, which made them easily as sugary as their Napoleons and Blintzes. It's a very unhealthy state.

Sugar knocks-out the Immune System. It can cause Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - even in children. Then, of course, there's Fatty Pancreas, and Fatty Tongue (driving some Sleep Apnea).... ...all of which leave a child vulnerable to whatever bug comes along.

Sleep Deprivation also disables the Immune System. Along with Sleep Apnea from those fatty tongues, poor Mississippi kids have their sleep interrupted by purposely-loud mufflers, and thumping sound systems - driving by at all hours, or even thumping outside their windows.

On the off-chance someone actually does cook something that's all-meat, chances are that it will be fried. Fried Chicken, Fried Turkey, Fried Catfish - these are what you make, if you're an ambitious cook - rich or poor. I knew a Mississippi banker's wife, who's commissioned several now-iconic residences. She's sort of famous for her cookouts, and naturally has scary-big contraptions for frying turkeys and catfish and whatever. Last time I saw her, she told me, "My organs are all shutting-down!" Personally, I suspect the cause, was oxidative damage and inflammation from all the vegetable oil in her giant fryers.

And then, lurking in most Mississippi cupboards, there's the fluffy, white Trans-fat in a Can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_o0psoAg4 Fried Chicken WOULD BE so healthy, but...

On top of all this, there are the poisons in the home. Herbicides get sprayed around foundations. Insecticides get sprayed everywhere. Covid-driven "disenfectants" get overused to the point of absurdity. Enzyme detergents dysregulate the body. Plug-in air fresheners mimic hormones. Children raised by druggies, have to breathe various kinds of smoke, at home and in the car. As if being obese and inflamed - fed sugary swill from breakfast to bedtime - were not deadly-enough, those kids' bodies have to cope with so many poisons.

What I'm saying, is that many Mississippi kids already have one foot in the grave. Their bodies are already inflamed. Much of what is attributed to the virus, was there already. Yes, the Covid Cytokine Cascade is scary. But it's only a tenth of the story.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 PM
KCZ

4,672 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
No word on whether the kids have comorbidities or are in the hospital for other illnesses in addition to COVID. CDC data indicate there are .54 kids per million in the hospital from COVID--these 7 kids put MS at over 4 times the national average. Something here doesn't add up.

No evidence the delta variant is worse than the original--hospitalizations for every age group are cratering and deaths are close to 0 in the UK where it's been there for months.
MS has the lowest vaccination rate in the country. More unvaccinated people mean more infected adults who can pass the virus onto kids. More infected kids means more really sick infected kids.

The delta variant is more contagious than the original virus. New cases have doubled nationwide in the past 3 weeks. (https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ilytrendscases) More cases means more sick people means more hospitalizations. The 7-day average number of hospitalized patients is up 14% over last week. (https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...spitalizations) "Cratering" is dead in the water until we get more people vaccinated.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
MS has the lowest vaccination rate in the country. More unvaccinated people mean more infected adults who can pass the virus onto kids. More infected kids means more really sick infected kids.

The delta variant is more contagious than the original virus. New cases have doubled nationwide in the past 3 weeks. (https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ilytrendscases) More cases means more sick people means more hospitalizations. The 7-day average number of hospitalized patients is up 14% over last week. (https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...spitalizations) "Cratering" is dead in the water until we get more people vaccinated.
You forgot to mention that hospitalizations are down almost 90% from their peak, and subsequent plummet, in January. Which was before vaccines had a chance to have any effect. And if "cases" (i.e., positive tests) have doubled in the past few weeks but hospitalizations are up only 14%, doesn't that suggest that this is a milder variant or people have more immunity?

If you've been vaccinated and you're happy with it, that's fine with me. But don't come at me with pedophrasty.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
snip
What I'm saying, is that many Mississippi kids already have one foot in the grave. Their bodies are already inflamed. Much of what is attributed to the virus, was there already. Yes, the Covid Cytokine Cascade is scary. But it's only a tenth of the story.
This is the elephant in the room. Good advice from health authorities would mean admitting the previous advice from health authorities to eat lots of grains and eschew natural fat for the fake kind full of PUFA was dead wrong.

I belong to an online group run by an MD. We take a lot of steps (diet, supplements, fixing microbiome, fixing thyroid, etc.) to avoid heart disease and diabetes. It's mostly retirement age people who came there with heart problems. Only a few people have mentioned getting a bad case of COVID. Quite a few mentioned catching a cold in late 2019 but quickly recovering.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 PM

16 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
How - oh, HOW - did he get it so wrong? ........... He wasn't wrong. He lied because he knew AP, the OP, and other services would pick it up without checking. Go figure.

No surge in deaths yet.
Yup disgusting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863
The vaccine doesn't stop a person from being infected by the virus, nor does it stop the infected vaccinated person from passing it along to others. It simply prevents (in the overwhelming majority of cases) serious consequences from the virus.

So, the vaccinated are helping to spread it just as much as the un-vaccinated. They're just not suffering serious consequences themselves.
Thank you for the good explanation!

Old 07-13-2021, 11:50 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
In Sydney we unfortunately still only have about 10% of people fully vaccinated, most in the older age groups. The program only started in late February and has been plagued by the side effects of AstraZenica, which was to be the main vaccine. There are simply not enough supplies of Pfizer.

Now in Sydney we have a new outbreak, of Delta. We have been in lockdown for over two weeks and have 864 cases. 71 of these are in hospital and 20 in ICU. Two people have died and they are the first locally acquired cases this year in the country.

What is of great concern is that there are far more young people in hospital and in ICU than we saw last year. This is obviously not related to vaccination status. Sydney is very diverse and the cases have been in the wealthiest area of the country as well as now in a diverse lower middle class area.

Delta is just a game changer.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:15 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
The vaccines are not 100% (although mighty close at the moment).

The problem is that willfully unvaccinated people like yourself are prolonging the pandemic, creating outbreaks and spreading ever more dangerous mutating variants, which is a higher risk for all, requiring the vaccinated to get a booster shot at some point in the future and leading to more needless hospitalization and death!

Get vaccinated!

Those that got a vaccine will need that booster anyway because it will be a yearly shot like the flu vaccine. COVID is not going anywhere unfortunately because it could not be stopped in the beginning. Now we just have to live with it.

People that are vaccinated should have nothing to worry about. The people that don't have one will be to blame when they get it. It's not on the vaccinateds heads, so why do people keep harping on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'm from Mississippi. I grew up in a rural slum, very typical of many all-minority "communities" in that state. Over a fifth of Mississippi's children are obese. Currently, the state leads the nation in adult obesity. Mississippi generally is at the top of all the bad lists, and at the bottom of the good lists. At any given moment, the state has too many young people dying, from a host of conditions which should not touch people so young.

The diet there, among poor, brown kids like I was, is unimaginably sugary. And then there are the other carbs - in "Heart-healthy Cereals!" - in breads - in the "iconic" 'Mac-&-Cheese'.... all those easy things to stick in front of the kids, so you won't have to spend too much time away from watching your stories. There's meat, but the preferred way of serving it, is to coat it in a "savory" sauce that's mostly sugar. And whichever meats include the most hidden sugars, are going to be the ones chosen by Mississippi's poor.

Most poor Mississippians, would consider this nightmarish list of sugary restaurant items, to be the ultimate in good eating: https://www.eatthis.com/sugar-in-restaurant-food/ One Buffalo Wings establishment had an item on that list. It has Mississippi locations. Here, a group of that chain's young Mississippi customers (notice that their bodies scream, "Metabolic Syndrome!", while their brains scream, "Inflammation and Dysglycemia!") have a bit of a brawl. Jackson Jambalaya: Buffalo Brawl

Not that those of higher social status eat much better. Even the restaurant in Jackson's (now defunct) health food co-op, served such sickeningly-sweet food, we had to stop going there. And the (defunct) "Kosher" deli, the go-to eatery for the state's upper crust, used dough for its bagels, which made them easily as sugary as their Napoleons and Blintzes. It's a very unhealthy state.

Sugar knocks-out the Immune System. It can cause Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - even in children. Then, of course, there's Fatty Pancreas, and Fatty Tongue (driving some Sleep Apnea).... ...all of which leave a child vulnerable to whatever bug comes along.

Sleep Deprivation also disables the Immune System. Along with Sleep Apnea from those fatty tongues, poor Mississippi kids have their sleep interrupted by purposely-loud mufflers, and thumping sound systems - driving by at all hours, or even thumping outside their windows.

On the off-chance someone actually does cook something that's all-meat, chances are that it will be fried. Fried Chicken, Fried Turkey, Fried Catfish - these are what you make, if you're an ambitious cook - rich or poor. I knew a Mississippi banker's wife, who's commissioned several now-iconic residences. She's sort of famous for her cookouts, and naturally has scary-big contraptions for frying turkeys and catfish and whatever. Last time I saw her, she told me, "My organs are all shutting-down!" Personally, I suspect the cause, was oxidative damage and inflammation from all the vegetable oil in her giant fryers.

And then, lurking in most Mississippi cupboards, there's the fluffy, white Trans-fat in a Can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_o0psoAg4 Fried Chicken WOULD BE so healthy, but...

On top of all this, there are the poisons in the home. Herbicides get sprayed around foundations. Insecticides get sprayed everywhere. Covid-driven "disenfectants" get overused to the point of absurdity. Enzyme detergents dysregulate the body. Plug-in air fresheners mimic hormones. Children raised by druggies, have to breathe various kinds of smoke, at home and in the car. As if being obese and inflamed - fed sugary swill from breakfast to bedtime - were not deadly-enough, those kids' bodies have to cope with so many poisons.

Thanks so much Gloria for your input. I didn't even realize it was you. I'll be shocked if people even read anything you wrote because it's all about the COVID vaccine and antivaxers being to blame kids got COVID when they can't get the vaccine yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
In Sydney we unfortunately still only have about 10% of people fully vaccinated, most in the older age groups. The program only started in late February and has been plagued by the side effects of AstraZenica, which was to be the main vaccine. There are simply not enough supplies of Pfizer.

Now in Sydney we have a new outbreak, of Delta. We have been in lockdown for over two weeks and have 864 cases. 71 of these are in hospital and 20 in ICU. Two people have died and they are the first locally acquired cases this year in the country.

What is of great concern is that there are far more young people in hospital and in ICU than we saw last year. This is obviously not related to vaccination status. Sydney is very diverse and the cases have been in the wealthiest area of the country as well as now in a diverse lower middle class area.

Delta is just a game changer.

I can't rep you again yet. I very much appreciate your input to let us know what's happening on the other side of the world.

I'm surprised to hear Australia has so many cases when they were locked down pretty good in the beginning.

Quote:
And? The overwhelming majority of those infections are asymptomatic.

No evidence of increase in hospitalization of children in Scotland.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...icians-3259535

No evidence of it in Indiana, either--adjust the dates on the dashboard and compare this year to last.
https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/

Thanks so much for the link to the Scotland article. I quoted some of it below.

Covid in children: 'No evidence' of increase in hospital numbers, say paediatricians

There is “no evidence” of an increase in children being admitted to hospital with Covid in Scotland, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) has said.

Quote:
Dr Steve Turner, Registrar at the RCPCH and consultant paediatrician at Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital, said: "As it stands there are very few children in hospital in Scotland and across the whole of the UK due to Covid.”

"Our experience over the last 15 months is that many children who test positive have come into hospital for something else, like broken bones. At the moment the situation in the UK is stable. The number of children in hospital with Covid remains very low.”

Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not only that horrible death rate, it carries mutations that could potentially make it more resistant to neutralizing antibodies.
But it isn’t a real threat….so nobody needs vaccinations—yeah…

Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
The thread title is still incorrect even though the state health officer corrected it.

Where are the self-appointed arbiters of truth stamping out misinformation?

Gee, the crusade almost looks biased... or something.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 07-14-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-14-2021, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
This is the elephant in the room. Good advice from health authorities would mean admitting the previous advice from health authorities to eat lots of grains and eschew natural fat for the fake kind full of PUFA was dead wrong.

I belong to an online group run by an MD. We take a lot of steps (diet, supplements, fixing microbiome, fixing thyroid, etc.) to avoid heart disease and diabetes. It's mostly retirement age people who came there with heart problems. Only a few people have mentioned getting a bad case of COVID. Quite a few mentioned catching a cold in late 2019 but quickly recovering.
The microbiome is a new frontier for trying to avoid chronic disease, etc. I think complex grains are okay in moderation, but not simple sugars/carbs. I avoid hydrogenated oils, too. I use olive oil mostly and a bit of butter, some canola very occasionally, but not much. Lifestyle factors, food choices and others go a long way in maintaining health. We take vits, herbs, supplements, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.