Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:09 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,952,733 times

Advertisements

Most massage places around here are closed or at least are on hiatus. My favorite therapist, who is around 70, is not accepting appointments. The school where I trained has gone out of business. I wrote to a couple of nearby schools to ask about retraining, and they didn't even bother to respond.

Is massage therapy effectively dead?

I personally could really use some treatment; my back is not great, and various other aches & pains exist. Really miss getting one about every month or two. And I have to believe, there are thousands of others who feel the same way, particularly in this stressful time.

Is anyone getting regular massage right now? I don't know anyone who is. Do you think I should go ahead and set up my massage therapy business? It costs money -- licensing, rent, linens, disinfectant supplies etc.

Probably would need some decent air flow through the room, too, and of course both parties must remain masked. I honestly don't know if it's even a safe practice. But if I can be assured that it's possible to do it safely, I'm thinking, as soon as I get a vaccination, I'm going to go for it. People are understandably nervous about contagion, so that will be the first consideration -- air filtering and ventilation, face shield, N95, thorough disinfecting. Will need to charge accordingly.

Thoughts? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 04:22 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,010,442 times
I suggest getting in touch with your state licensing board to see what kind of precautions need to be taken because of the pandemic.

I have a friend who's a massage therapist. She's still practicing, but these days her clients are limited to people who have been her clients for a long time, and whom she trusts to be keeping safe.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:23 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,126,613 times
I don't think it is dead.... In my area there are several franchised massage therapy places under the brands massage envy and elements, with numerous smaller places. One that focuses on feet and hand massage. What I will say is that they are probably hurting.

I personally haven't visited in for a massage since covid started. So its been close to a year.

There are concerns on safety in this time period.

I think starting any business in this economic / health climate is a challenge... which is the harsh reality right now. One of my friends does house calls but even her schedule is light.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:24 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,037,155 times
I hear you about needing a massage. I had been going monthly, and now it has been a year since I've had a massage. I feel it helps me to stay healthy.

I just looked up my massage therapist's website, and she is still doing massage. She has a page up about the precautions she is taking. But for me, it doesn't just consist of the actual massage, it's at least partly about feelng totally relaxed, able to breathe deeply, and being open to the experience. So I think I will need to wait at least until I've had my vaccinations and the numbers of new cases in my area have been low for a good long time.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:12 PM

316 posts, read 305,002 times
I'm guessing it depends on where you live.

Earlier today, I saw an ad on tv for the "Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa" chain, and they appear to be fully open.

We go to a smaller place and try to go 3-4 times a year but it's been over a year now since I've gone. I checked online and it looks like the location I go to is actually open, which surprised me.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:23 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,952,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't think it is dead.... In my area there are several franchised massage therapy places under the brands massage envy and elements, with numerous smaller places. One that focuses on feet and hand massage. What I will say is that they are probably hurting.

I personally haven't visited in for a massage since covid started. So its been close to a year.

There are concerns on safety in this time period.

I think starting any business in this economic / health climate is a challenge... which is the harsh reality right now. One of my friends does house calls but even her schedule is light.
I hear you; it's a lousy economy unless you're in technology. I heard on the news today that 9 million small businesses are probably going to close permanently this year. 9 million!!!

But I've always been told, the best time to start a business is during a recession. You can get office space for cheap, hired help for cheap (not really relevant to a solo massage practice, except for things like hiring someone to fix the sink or do some wiring). Lots of second hand stuff available on craigslist/ebay, too -- chairs, desks, lamps etc.

I was just thinking, I really need a back rub! I'm sure there must be a million people out there wishing they had a spa treatment. As soon as things pick up again, the demand is going to be there!

Old 02-10-2021, 07:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 728,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I suggest getting in touch with your state licensing board to see what kind of precautions need to be taken because of the pandemic.

I have a friend who's a massage therapist. She's still practicing, but these days her clients are limited to people who have been her clients for a long time, and whom she trusts to be keeping safe.
My massage therapist is the same—limited number of long term clients. When I go to her, she is masked and so am I.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,251,254 times
I used to go once or twice a week... until I got Covid from an 1.5 hr massage last March. Took me out for 6+ months. I did go back one more time in October last year, wearing a mask, as did my therapist. However, it was not very enjoyable, as a massage for me loosens my sinuses and with a mask, that made breathing difficult.

I'd love to get back to my previous schedule, but it's just not possible now, nor is it worth having to go home, take a full shower, etc, to be sure I'm not contaminated from whoever else has had a massage in the same room.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,049,974 times
A friend tried to book massage therapy at a place she was familiar with from physical therapy, it shares space there. Therapist was on vacay and no appointments available for 2 months when he got back. One story never tells the whole story but she's still trying to find an appointment.

Now I'm thinking that's something for me to do too....

Old 08-30-2021, 01:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,817,680 times
I get regular massages and I have a wonderful therapist who also does energy healing and she’s just down the road and has her own place...not a franchise. I don’t know if the key to her success is being located near a bunch of wineries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness