Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 06:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I am water logged, so true. Does it help? I dont know for sure, but I've been peeing a lot.. lol
I don't know how much water you drink. For me, I am usually a bit dehydrated because I don't drink 8 glasses of water as recommended. Maybe that's why drinking water helps me, cos it brings my body to more optimal condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 06:58 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I don't know how much water you drink. For me, I am usually a bit dehydrated because I don't drink 8 glasses of water as recommended. Maybe that's why drinking water helps me, cos it brings my body to more optimal condition.
Normally I dont guess I drink enough either, but going thru this breathing thru my mouth really dried it out and made me drink drink drink!
Maybe it holds down a fever too.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,018 times
Quote:
Normally I dont guess I drink enough either, but going thru this breathing thru my mouth really dried it out and made me drink drink drink!
Maybe it holds down a fever too.
It's a fever reducer. In the hospital they can bring down a fever with an IV (saline). Drinking water is the same idea. Flush it out. (Just don't over do it, you know).

Old 07-18-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
It's a fever reducer. In the hospital they can bring down a fever with an IV (saline). Drinking water is the same idea. Flush it out. (Just don't over do it, you know).
I think drinking Gatorade is helpful too, to replenish the electrolytes we are flushing out with the water.
Still makes you pee a lot though.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:02 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Get the best sleep you can.

Cancel being around people as much as feasibly possible to reduce the chance of spreading the illness.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Advil Cold & Sinus.

If you don't have a fever, get some exercise, even better if it is outdoor exercise. Exercise does wonder for the immune system.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Get the best sleep you can.

Cancel being around people as much as feasibly possible to reduce the chance of spreading the illness.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Advil Cold & Sinus.
Absolutely great advise. As long as we dont start treating people with colds like they have leprosy.. Nobody likes being sick.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:36 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is to become more aware of the on set first symptoms of your "cold" ailment experiences.

When you get the initial watery nose drip mucus and tickling irritation /rawness in throat, gargle with warm salt water to coat the pathways (do as frequently as you feel comfortable) and then drink the apple cider vinegar honey and lemon concoction in hot water or your favorite type of tea. Also, applying Mentholatum lightly under your nostrils is one other technique to accelerate once you have cold and can also help prevent if you are feeling congested / stuffiness. It may even be helpful in cold dry climates at night if you tend to get congested. Note it won't look good if you are planning on going out in public anywhere. But wearing a mask will cover it up - LOL

Also, as mentioned eat well and rest. I haven't had a cold in four years by learning to recognize my symptoms and immediately taking the above course of action.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 07-18-2021 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 07-18-2021, 09:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Eat bluberries and take vitamin c. DO not give into ig pharma Ever!

Old 07-19-2021, 05:58 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Take a joke would you!
This is a joke, really? Because people are coming on here giving you cures for the common cold and you seem to be welcoming this ADVICE (not "advise").

Old 07-19-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is to become more aware of the on set first symptoms of your "cold" ailment experiences.

When you get the initial watery nose drip mucus and tickling irritation /rawness in throat, gargle with warm salt water to coat the pathways (do as frequently as you feel comfortable) and then drink the apple cider vinegar honey and lemon concoction in hot water or your favorite type of tea. Also, applying Mentholatum lightly under your nostrils is one other technique to accelerate once you have cold and can also help prevent if you are feeling congested / stuffiness. It may even be helpful in cold dry climates at night if you tend to get congested. Note it won't look good if you are planning on going out in public anywhere. But wearing a mask will cover it up - LOL

Also, as mentioned eat well and rest. I haven't had a cold in four years by learning to recognize my symptoms and immediately taking the above course of action.
you are so right to get a jump on it from the beginning, that's the key. I do feel that a cold, if managed, something to stop the sneezing and runny nose, with clean hands, a person can maintain their activities, without spreading it, not touching anyone along the way. But once it gets a grip there is no containing it, at least not this mess that hit me. I have done it all and I guess it will takes it course. It has a way of making a person stop in their tracts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness