U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2021, 05:46 PM
jyx jyx started this thread
 
56 posts, read 53,059 times
Reputation: 53

Advertisements

While I'm thinking ahead to the dreaded cataract surgery, since doctors are so stingy with information, I wondered if anyone here has ever come across a best "formula" for choosing vision. I gather that you can choose one eye to be far-sighted and one near-sighted, not just 20/20, and then not needing glasses any more at all. I've worn glasses for my nearsightedness my whole adult life, and it doesn't bother me, but maybe the unbalanced complementary vision would be a good solution.

But is there an optimum solution, a golden mean where the imbalance works best?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2021, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
42,794 posts, read 57,184,021 times
Reputation: 121432
Normally 20/20 is best. But you'll still need readers for general close up reading/work.
Don't dread the process, it's painless and easy. You'll be very happy with the results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2021, 06:27 AM
 
2,246 posts, read 1,016,449 times
Reputation: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Normally 20/20 is best. But you'll still need readers for general close up reading/work.
Don't dread the process, it's painless and easy. You'll be very happy with the results.
I am going to need cataract surgery soon in one eye. I am only 57, but has macular hole repair surgery back in February and, as predicted, now have a rapidly progressing cataract in that eye.

Everyone says the surgery is easy and I am sure it is. (I even found the macular hole repair surgery easy). However, what I am dreading are the Prednilosone eye drops that I will problem have to take for a month afterward. I had a horrible reaction when I was on them after my MH surgery …. as soon as I started tapering the dose —- mainly intense fatigue, palpitations and light-headedness, but it was enough to be incapacitating for about six weeks. With the cataract surgery, it looks like I am going to have to go through that again, unless I can find a non traditional surgeon who prescribes only NSAID eye drops. Apparently, the NSAID eye drops work even better (according to relatively new research) and have way fewer side efffecfs. But you know, tradition, that’s how I was trained, patients “tolerate” the steroids, etc.

Just rambling …
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
40,945 posts, read 53,137,514 times
Reputation: 54819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I am going to need cataract surgery soon in one eye. I am only 57, but has macular hole repair surgery back in February and, as predicted, now have a rapidly progressing cataract in that eye.

Everyone says the surgery is easy and I am sure it is. (I even found the macular hole repair surgery easy). However, what I am dreading are the Prednilosone eye drops that I will problem have to take for a month afterward. I had a horrible reaction when I was on them after my MH surgery …. as soon as I started tapering the dose —- mainly intense fatigue, palpitations and light-headedness, but it was enough to be incapacitating for about six weeks. With the cataract surgery, it looks like I am going to have to go through that again, unless I can find a non traditional surgeon who prescribes only NSAID eye drops. Apparently, the NSAID eye drops work even better (according to relatively new research) and have way fewer side efffecfs. But you know, tradition, that’s how I was trained, patients “tolerate” the steroids, etc.

Just rambling …
Mrs. NBP had both eyes done a year and a half ago. While I don't know what her eyedrops were, and she doesn't remember, her instructions were 3 weeks prior (anti-biotic) and a week after of something different. She had no adverse reactions to either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2021, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
64,126 posts, read 53,100,338 times
Reputation: 94334
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Mrs. NBP had both eyes done a year and a half ago. While I don't know what her eyedrops were, and she doesn't remember, her instructions were 3 weeks prior (anti-biotic) and a week after of something different. She had no adverse reactions to either.
Same here and I didn't have any adverse reactions.

One thing that's easy to do beforehand is telling your doctor you don't want CIPRO or fluoroquinolone antibiotic drops. They will easily swap these out.

I always warn people against fluoroquinolones, mainly because it's like killing a mouse with a flamethrower. But also because fluoroquinolones are so problematic for so many people and can cause some really nasty side effects. Do they work? Yes. Of course they work - they were developed for very serious illnesses. But ummm, nope, not for me (I have two matching scars on my legs because fluoroquinolones destroyed both my Achilles tendons).
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...-sugar-adverse
https://www.drugwatch.com/cipro-leva.../side-effects/
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/di...luoroquinolone
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 PM
 
2,013 posts, read 3,132,106 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
While I'm thinking ahead to the dreaded cataract surgery, since doctors are so stingy with information, I wondered if anyone here has ever come across a best "formula" for choosing vision. I gather that you can choose one eye to be far-sighted and one near-sighted, not just 20/20, and then not needing glasses any more at all. I've worn glasses for my nearsightedness my whole adult life, and it doesn't bother me, but maybe the unbalanced complementary vision would be a good solution.

But is there an optimum solution, a golden mean where the imbalance works best?

I did that and really like the results. My left eye is set for reading super close. My right eye is set for long distance -- like driving. I can read, I can see distance far away without glasses. If I put my glasses on it is even better. My bifocals are set for perfect long distance correction at the top. At the bottom the left is set for super close, the right is set for a little further away like the instrument cluster of a car.


At 75 years old this is as good as it gets without youthful real organic lenses that adjust for distance like youngsters have.


A good doctor should be happy to work with you on this. It is just a matter of pulling the appropriate lenses out of the stockroom. I don't have any numbers, sorry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2021, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Puna, Hawaii
3,703 posts, read 3,705,017 times
Reputation: 6419
I opted for the tri-focal IOLs so my vision is clear both near and far. The problem with monovision (one eye for distance and one for close up) is that it comes with the sacrifice of depth perception.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2021, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
64,126 posts, read 53,100,338 times
Reputation: 94334
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Normally 20/20 is best. But you'll still need readers for general close up reading/work.
Don't dread the process, it's painless and easy. You'll be very happy with the results.
I don't even need readers since I had the cataract surgery. I was wearing trifocals previously! It's fantastic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2021, 06:30 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
40,945 posts, read 53,137,514 times
Reputation: 54819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't even need readers since I had the cataract surgery. I was wearing trifocals previously! It's fantastic.
Mrs. NBP is the same although for really, really small print she has a pair she uses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2021, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Florida
7,242 posts, read 5,196,160 times
Reputation: 14105
I had cataract surgery 3 times, the first time was in 1976. The last time was 1997, huge difference.

My focus is different for left and right eyes. I wear bi-focals which are different left and right. I have worn glasses since I was 14, I am now 87.

In addition to my regular bi-focals which work very well, I have bi-focal computer glasses which I use every time that I use my computer which is a desktop with a 27" monitor. The computer glasses enable me to view the screen or look down at a document on the desk or in my hand. Works very well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top