Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 10:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
anxiety
???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:20 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Yeah it is.

It’s certainly not. It’s middle-aged.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It’s certainly not. It’s middle-aged.
Only if you live to be a hundred ... which hardly anybody does.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:27 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Truth.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:05 AM

9,861 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Like others, I feel like I'm missing something that the OP's friend is doing that makes him appear to have higher energy than normal.

My husband and I are 63, we work six days a week, mostly on our feet, he does woodworking when he comes home as a side business. We don't nap, we take care of a big house, yard, garden plus hike and swim. I broke my right elbow and left wrist at 62 while playing basketball outside with my grandkids (the 3 year old plowed into me). That was the only time I had surgery and was on pain meds a while.

We eat healthy and sleep a solid 7-8 hours a night. We're not on any meds, but maybe that's what could be causing the younger 50 year olds to slow down some. We seem to be pretty normal among friends our age.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Like others, I feel like I'm missing something that the OP's friend is doing that makes him appear to have higher energy than normal.

My husband and I are 63, we work six days a week, mostly on our feet, he does woodworking when he comes home as a side business. We don't nap, we take care of a big house, yard, garden plus hike and swim. I broke my right elbow and left wrist at 62 while playing basketball outside with my grandkids (the 3 year old plowed into me). That was the only time I had surgery and was on pain meds a while.

We eat healthy and sleep a solid 7-8 hours a night. We're not on any meds, but maybe that's what could be causing the younger 50 year olds to slow down some. We seem to be pretty normal among friends our age.
You sound like me. I'll turn 60 in a few months. Headed off to the gym now and then to a friend's house for an hour and a half in the pool. I'll eat a healthy lunch, a smaller dinner, have a glass or two of wine, read, watch an episode or two of whatever I'm on, probably do some yardwork and definitely get outside to play with the dogs, and sleep seven or so hours of blissful sleep before waking up early again tomorrow. Tomorrow I plan to go to teacher orientation in the morning and then grocery shopping and hanging out with a friend in the afternoon. Then home again and more dogs and reading and TV again. Sounds like a nice few days. The next day it's the gym in the morning, then swimming again, then a movie in the afternoon - at the theater! I love matinees at the theater. I'm meeting up with some friends for that.

I have several friends, some younger, some older than me, on various medications. They all seem to have side effects and most seem to cause some level of fatigue, though the fatigue could also be a symptom of whatever ails them. I'm not judging them - just grateful I don't have to deal with that.

But for some perspective, I have a cousin who is a bit younger than me (mid fifties) who has been seriously diabetic her whole life, and has to give herself shots for it in fact. She's got more energy than I do - she works out in the yard constantly, swims, cooks huge meals, entertains often, keeps a spotless house and property, and looks terrific. She's on all sorts of medications and is sometimes hospitalized. So there's that.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:40 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
The term "middle aged" certainly does apply to a 50year old. It applies to anyone 45 to 65. It has nothing to do with your life expectancy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age

Old 08-16-2021, 11:08 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have another observation - it seems like the OP knows a lot about the coworker. OP, how do you know about his social or sex life, or life outside of work in general? How do you know he doesn't take naps on the weekends or whatever? I am genuinely curious. Also, why does hearing that he sounds normal to a lot of people disturb you or bum you out or make you sad or whatever?
I wish the OP would come back and answer Kathryn’s question. I’m curious as well.

I just turned 50 a couple of months ago and I have more energy now than when I ever did. I’m on BP meds, but I exercise regularly and eat in moderation. It’s completely normal that your friend is energetic at his age.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I know an 80-year-old who hops around like a bunny on speed. In her case, it's mostly about appearing feisty and enjoying the compliments others pay her re: how active she is, admiring her, wishing they could be like her, telling her how young she seems, etc. I also think such people are running from something (being alone with their own thoughts, facing their own mortality, etc.). In other words, I think it's often more mental than physical.
I've seen some that are so type A that they can't imagine life without a filled schedule. Retirement cedes to a life of committees, volunteering, and makework projects around the home. Often they can't overcome a conviction of idle hands being the devils' work.

Then there are those that truly enjoy things that others find dreary or simply obligations; my wifes grandfather is like that with his yard/garden. Gardening is his thing. Vegetables, flowers, etc...Other folks hate it. He enjoys it. He still has a large veggie garden, etc...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Truth.
It's middle age in the sense that it's the middle of life on your terms, as much as one can dictate the terms of their life. Early life is dictated/directed by parents. If one picks the time period between 20-80 yrs of age, it's about dead in the middle.

Beyond 80 (roughly speaking) and father time takes his toll and realities are far more likely to be visited upon us whether we like it or not. Some are quite independent and spry beyond that, most that I have known, including those that have lived decent lives beyond 90, have had things they were forced to give up beyond 80.

Under 20 (roughly speaking) you're likely under some degree of influence of your parents, without the same freedoms and privileges of full adulthood, etc, but unlikely to be a totally free person. Some emancipate or totally fly the nest or are on their own younger than that, some don't leave the nest, but 20 is sort of average to a certain degree.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have another observation - it seems like the OP knows a lot about the coworker. OP, how do you know about his social or sex life, or life outside of work in general? How do you know he doesn't take naps on the weekends or whatever? I am genuinely curious. Also, why does hearing that he sounds normal to a lot of people disturb you or bum you out or make you sad or whatever?
Just a guess but it could be depression. She said she has Hashimoto's which can cause depression, and of course there is the fatigue. She may be feeling hopeless. Depression could cause someone to be focused on and bummed out by a co-worker's energy level, even though it's not a rational comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness