Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 04:08 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Pepcid 20mg is an H2 blocker (rather than a PPI) and doesn't have the rebound effect that many get when they try to quit Prilosec. Ask your doctor if it would be better for you.
Pepcid did the trick for me. 10 mg morning and night. Feel 100% better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 08:08 PM

6,943 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Long-term medications cause other problems in themselves. I used to take asthma inhaler Ventolin (salbutamol) for years and, although I cannot prove it in any way, I now feel it may have been the cause of some heart-related problems I had/have. Basically, nothing medicine-wise has no effect otherwise it would not be a medicine would it?

Our bodies get used to long-term medication and it becomes 'normal' to take the medicine, so in the end we need more to achieve the same effect. Rather like eye glasses, over time, your eyes become used to looking through glasses and you need stronger prescriptions.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Pepcid did the trick for me. 10 mg morning and night. Feel 100% better.
That's the worst thing for your body, should never use that thing. GERD or any kind of acid reflux is an indication of poor stomach acid. Not having enough acid and to throw in an anti-acid is the worst thing for your body.

The best thing for any GERD is to eat less, eat more probiotic foods, add apple cider vinegar just a tiny teaspoon to a cup of water and drink it before you eat any meal.

Take more bile salt, the key to reducing acid reflux is increasing the stomach's acid production lower the PH to a 2 so that food can be quickly processed and eating a lot of probiotic foods and fiber.

Bacteria and microbiome are necessary to help dissolve foods and break it down so your gut tract or intestines have an easier time absorbing minerals.

So many people just drop an anti-acid, that simply make the food undigestable and the stomach just pushes it down to the intestines and you end up pooping out all the food. You end up being more hungry and starving because the body didn't absorb any nutrients.

This is why so many Americans are so fat because their digestive system can't process foods and they become nutrient deficient and constantly hungry because the body never properly digest and break down the foods so the nutrients are absorbed.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:11 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's the worst thing for your body, should never use that thing. GERD or any kind of acid reflux is an indication of poor stomach acid. Not having enough acid and to throw in an anti-acid is the worst thing for your body.

The best thing for any GERD is to eat less, eat more probiotic foods, add apple cider vinegar just a tiny teaspoon to a cup of water and drink it before you eat any meal.

Take more bile salt, the key to reducing acid reflux is increasing the stomach's acid production lower the PH to a 2 so that food can be quickly processed and eating a lot of probiotic foods and fiber.

Bacteria and microbiome are necessary to help dissolve foods and break it down so your gut tract or intestines have an easier time absorbing minerals.

So many people just drop an anti-acid, that simply make the food undigestable and the stomach just pushes it down to the intestines and you end up pooping out all the food. You end up being more hungry and starving because the body didn't absorb any nutrients.

This is why so many Americans are so fat because their digestive system can't process foods and they become nutrient deficient and constantly hungry because the body never properly digest and break down the foods so the nutrients are absorbed.
Eh, whatever. Take it up with my board-certified gastroenterologist, who recommended it for relieving my symptoms. Looks like I'll be having a Nissen procedure at some point. In the meantime, the Pepcid has worked wonders.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Pepcid 20mg is an H2 blocker (rather than a PPI) and doesn't have the rebound effect that many get when they try to quit Prilosec. Ask your doctor if it would be better for you.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I don't think the Prilosec is working that well.

I think that's an OTC. I'll grab some next time I have some extra cash. Hub's been out of work due to the chip shortage.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:26 PM

422 posts, read 281,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. I don't think the Prilosec is working that well.

I think that's an OTC. I'll grab some next time I have some extra cash. Hub's been out of work due to the chip shortage.
Yes, it is OTC but it also comes in prescription. There also is omeprazole which is OTC and by prescription.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
Yes, it is OTC but it also comes in prescription. There also is omeprazole which is OTC and by prescription.

Omeprazole 40mg (he has me taking 2, 20mg pills) is what I've been taking that doesn't seem to be helping much. It's calmed my symptoms a little. My daughter had it but didn't use it. I have large prescription bottles filled with it. Must hold about 90 pills. I'm on the 2nd one, it's about a quarter full. Can't beat free. lol

I'll try to message the gastro to see if he can prescribe the Pepcid so insurance can cover it. I'm in catastrophic coverage with Medicare so scripts are very cheap. I just remembered I have an appointment with my GP today, I may speak to her if I remember. She is way easier to get a hold of.

I doubt my insurance will cover Nexium which is what I took back when I had issues in 2009 when my hub had cancer. That was the only thing that worked. I had tried everything. I may break down and buy an OTC of it just to stop the gagging and coughing.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM

6,943 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Giving our gut a rest is possibly a way to get it working properly again. When we go on a fast for more than 3 days, our stomach shrinks toi the size of a small fist or large walnut because there is nothing for it to do. The body has a chance to repair itself and maybe start again.

Of course, there will be some hardship doing a fast for a few days, but it may sort out the gut problems. I would think it is worth a try otherwise there is nothing to look forward to but more of the same gut GERD problems for the rest of life. These medications are not going to do anything other than mask the problem. These things do not get better by taking medications but only get worse.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:51 PM

2,039 posts, read 854,250 times
Yeah I used to have the same problem original poster. Are used to drink a lot of vodka which Aggravated it to a point where I couldn’t live with it anymore. Several nights in a row I woke up almost choked to death with a burned esophagus. Literally couldn’t breathe. After the second night in a row of that I decided enough was enough and I change my diet put down the alcohol. It took about three days and the problem was gone. It hasn’t returned. It really is diet related. Like legit, if you just go to a healthy light diet and you get rid of the alcohol, your problem will be gone.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:02 PM

422 posts, read 281,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I doubt my insurance will cover Nexium which is what I took back when I had issues in 2009 when my hub had cancer. That was the only thing that worked. I had tried everything. I may break down and buy an OTC of it just to stop the gagging and coughing.
Have you ever tried a teaspoon of honey? It seemed to ease my throat tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness