Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 01:30 PM

72 posts, read 109,363 times

Advertisements

I started work a few months ago and I have a manager who is really hardworking. She says that the secret to her success is using a low dose of OTC codeine (we live in Europe so it's legal) to stave off any anxiety she has as well as give her motivation. She takes about 100mg every few days.

It's working for her so far but I can't help but feel that she's headed down a dark path on harder opioids. I know there's a lot of misinformation about drugs in society but opioids seem to be the one drug that campaigns like DARE are really honest about and should be avoided long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 02:17 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Without knowing anything else about this woman difficult to comment. She might have some type of chronic pain in the background. I would guess one way to "test" her theory or her dependence is to see what happens if she is deprived of her little "aid" for a period of time. After all, wellbeing isn't just physical, its psychological too. There are quite a few people who seem able to discipline themselves to stick to a given level of an addictive medication indefinitely.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:40 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Unfortunatley, the prescribing of opiates has run into all sorts of political impediments here in The States.

The neurochemistry of pain and depression are interminged. I had many pts whose conventional meds for depression were inadequate in treating their depression, but who had miraculous improvement when taking codeine or hydrocodone, two extremely safe narcotics with low risk for addiction. Even small doses (once or twice a day) was extremely beneficial.

...and I have seen many pts who observe the same thing about narcotics and motiviation (lack of motivation is a cardinal symptom of depression)....Just like giving a stimulant to a hyperactive kid paradoxically slows them down, a narcotic, usually considered a sedative, may paradoxically stimulate depressed pts.

Thank ignorant lawyers once again for taking a good tool away from our tool kit.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 06-13-2022 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2022, 04:16 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Unfortunatley, the prescribing of opiates has run into all sorts of political impediments here in The States.

The neurochemistry of pain and depression are interminged. I had many pts whose conventional meds for depression were inadequate in treating their depression, but who had miraculous improvement when taking codeine or hydrocodone, two extremely safe narcotics with low risk for addiction. Even small doses (once or twice a day) was extremely beneficial.

...and I have seen many pts who observe the same thing about narcotics and motiviation (lack of motivation is a cardinal symptom of depression)....Just like giving a stimulant to a hyperactive kid paradoxically slows them down, a narcotic, usually considered a sedative, may paradoxically stimulate depressed pts.

Thank ignorant lawyers once again for taking a good tool away from our tool kit.

Quido, I was going to give a 180 degree answer until I read yours. I completely forgot my 50 plus year old pharmacology courses.

I don't see low doses as an issue, UNLESS you start to inc dosage.

I would prefer more traditional approach to treating anxiety and depression!

Old 06-13-2022, 06:31 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
The answer to the question is YES.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Problem is the drugs wear off and you need more and more for the same effect. If its 100mg now, it might be 200mg in a few months.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:27 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Problem is the drugs wear off and you need more and more for the same effect. If its 100mg now, it might be 200mg in a few months.
That's true for using narcotics for pain relief because narcotics don't actually reduce pain, they reduce the suffering (your emotional reaction to the pain; subtle difference). Higher doses are needed for pain relief, and it's easier for the pt to fall into the tachyphyllaxis trap (tolerance)....That doesn't seem to happen when used for depression-- a half tab (2,5mg hydrocodone) once or twice a day usually is effective.

Tachyphyllaxis can ussually be avoided by letting the drug come out of your system before taking the next dose....Cf- you only get the DTs when you have continually high levels of EtOH in your system and you stop drinking suddenly. Intermittent/low dose drinking is not a risk for it. The alky who drinks continually always reaches for the next one as the last one starts to come out of his system and he starts feeling bad. "Hair of the dog"

https://www.bbrfoundation.org/conten...ant-depression

Old 06-14-2022, 01:02 AM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
personally after 3 doses of Tylenol-3, I become very nauseous
I had a colonoscopy in 2010, they used fentanyl. I was in bed for a week.
When my dad was in private practice, he didn't have much regard for the pain pill sells-people. He gave a couple salesmen a stern lecture on ethics.
YPMV

Old 06-14-2022, 03:41 AM

882 posts, read 767,197 times
Yes it is stupid.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:04 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, they gave me Tylenol with codeine, and it worked GREAT.

When I had a hysterectomy, they started me out on a morphine drip, which did hardly anything for the pain, depressed my breathing, and it just made me sleepy. Then they tried something else...and I can't remember the name, but it started with a V I think. Still no relief. THEN they gave me Tylenol with codeine, and finally I was free of pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness