Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I use a Gold Bond product called Pedi smooth foot cream — it has seven moisturizers and four exfoliators. Exfoliators are alpha hydroxy acid, lactic acid. Very gentle on your feet, very moisturizing. I always wear slippers in the house and at this time of year I always wear socks, too. I must protect my feet.

I like that stuff better than other foot creams.
Thanks for the tip. I might try that!

A bit off topic, but a couple years ago I went to a podiatrist because two toes (2nd and 3rd) had developed some crust under the nail. The nails were turned inward like they were becoming ingrown. This guy, a medical doctor, told me there was nothing I could do, that it was "old age" condition. I made him do a test for fungus, it came back negative.

So I started using olive oil or coconut oil every night under the toenails, and scraped the junk out with a nail file. Kept doing that for a couple three weeks - problem solved. No more curved nails, no more crust under the nails. That was two years ago and there is still no problem. What was that doctor thinking?? At least I didn't have a co-pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
That heavy buildup of skin on your feet is called hyperkeratosis. I get it around my big toes. Sometimes it cracks and hurts.

A urea-based cream like Kerasal can help break it down. Only use it on the thick skin, and don't use it every day.
You can get a battery callus sander that works faster than pumice. Emjoi makes one version.

Triple antibiotic ointment soothes and heals the cracks, but does nothing about the callus.
I wonder if using my dogs' nail dremel would work on calluses. It's really small and fine. My dogs tolerate it really well (was surprised).

I use a $3 ointment from WalMart for cracks in the skin. Discovered it while living on a ranch in New Mexico. AMAZING stuff. Stops the pain and heals the cracks pretty quickly. Forget the name. Edit: It's called Arnica Salve by DeLaCruz. 3 bucks. It was an absolute lifesaver when working with adobe dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 06:27 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
This year I went to a podiatrist for the first time, and got instant relief for a callus that I suffered with for a few years, without realizing I could get help.

Some calluses have a hard core center that goes deep down, deeper than you can get with any kind of stone or abrasive. The podiatrist can dig down and cut out this core. This is what gave me relief, and I would never be able to get out that core myself. I can’t believe how long I suffered with this when there was instant relief available.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:59 AM

273 posts, read 207,954 times
Get a callous grinder like the Amope Pedi Perfect, start slow with it and after you're done, apply a good moisturizer like Amlactin and wear socks.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:40 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
This year I went to a podiatrist for the first time, and got instant relief for a callus that I suffered with for a few years, without realizing I could get help.

Some calluses have a hard core center that goes deep down, deeper than you can get with any kind of stone or abrasive. The podiatrist can dig down and cut out this core. This is what gave me relief, and I would never be able to get out that core myself. I can’t believe how long I suffered with this when there was instant relief available.
Same. I have a callus on my right foot with a deep core and the podiatrist is able to use a scalpel and instantly get it out. Whenever it gets back to the point that it causes me enough discomfort, I go back and see him. Probably once a year or so, though I should probably do it twice a year.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
As I said, I use a pumice stone on my feet bottoms. It is one made for them. It is not rough, it's also not in the stone shape, it's on a handle with a brush on the other side. I keep it in the shower, use it there. I do as much as I can, then continue the next time I get in if it needs it.

I also have the dry callus scrapers that are like a metal cheese grater on a handle.

Go to the nail section of Walmart, they have all sorts of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Same. I have a callus on my right foot with a deep core and the podiatrist is able to use a scalpel and instantly get it out. Whenever it gets back to the point that it causes me enough discomfort, I go back and see him. Probably once a year or so, though I should probably do it twice a year.

It's amazing what they find under some calluses. As you guys say, some are indented that would have to be cut out. That's why I suggested the OP check out that show "my feet are killing me".

They also use a dremel on calluses and thick toe nails.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:09 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post

That sounds like a plantar wart.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

They also use a dremel on calluses and thick toe nails.
Even though mine only completely go away when excised by the podiatrist, those files, pumices and other things they use when they give me a pedicure do help to keep it flush with the skin and alleviate discomfort. They are helpful to a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
That sounds like a plantar wart.
Yes, there are similarities to a plantar wart, but certain calluses have that same core that can go deep into the skin. When I first started having issues with the calluses about 10 years ago, I first assumed a plantar wart as well, but it was the podiatrist who was able to differentiate it and remove it initially. Each time I go back to have him remove it, I can go longer and longer between visits. They can definitely improve it over time.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:59 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thanks for the tip. I might try that!

I wonder if using my dogs' nail dremel would work on calluses. It's really small and fine. My dogs tolerate it really well (was surprised).

I use a $3 ointment from WalMart for cracks in the skin. Discovered it while living on a ranch in New Mexico. AMAZING stuff. Stops the pain and heals the cracks pretty quickly. Forget the name. Edit: It's called Arnica Salve by DeLaCruz. 3 bucks. It was an absolute lifesaver when working with adobe dirt.
I tried a Dremel for this, wound up bleeding. They are fast and strong, and can do damage before you realize.

I prefer very coarse sanders, they remove more skin faster. The battery one I was talking about has cylinders about 2" long, so they cover more area at once.

here's one version:
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Pedi...A&srpt=SLIPPER

Old 11-13-2021, 01:08 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I tried a Dremel for this, wound up bleeding. They are fast and strong, and can do damage before you realize.

I prefer very coarse sanders, they remove more skin faster. The battery one I was talking about has cylinders about 2" long, so they cover more area at once.

here's one version:
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Pedi...A&srpt=SLIPPER
Thanks!

Old 11-13-2021, 02:49 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I have had calluses, soaked them and then trimmed off the dead skin. BIG mistake. The callus built up for a reason. Now you are left with a tender spot that has no protection.

I have been suffering from cracked heels, especially in the winter. I started with O'Keefe's Foot cream, so far it seems to work well. Not sure how it would work on calluses. Surprisingly it is a very light cream, not greasy and rich. Not sure what the magic ingredient is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness