Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

Is it normal for a doctor to move your hair out of the way in order to examine you or is that a bit unusual/overly familiar? I am talking about for an examination of the back. Would a patient normally move her own hair or could a doctor reasonably do it for her without it being inappropriate? I have long hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 07:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
what do you mean by moving?shave it,or brush it aside>

Old 12-19-2021, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,468 times
When I say moving it, I mean gathering the hair into a fist and putting it over one shoulder in order to proceed with the exam.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:56 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Why do,you not put your hair up when you have a medical appointment?

Old 12-19-2021, 08:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
There's absolutely nothing weird or creepy about this. He probably does it several times every week. If he knows what he wants to look at, it is far easier for him to just move the hair, which is not a sensitive body part, to where he can visualize what he needs to see, instead of saying, "Will you move your hair?" and then having to say, "No, to this side, not that side," etc.

I can think of a situation where someone would ask, "Is it normal that my doctor asked me to move my hair away from my back instead of just moving it himself?"

Old 12-19-2021, 08:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
There's absolutely nothing weird or creepy about this. He probably does it several times every week. If he knows what he wants to look at, it is far easier for him to just move the hair, which is not a sensitive body part, to where he can visualize what he needs to see, instead of saying, "Will you move your hair?" and then having to say, "No, to this side, not that side," etc.

I can think of a situation where someone would ask, "Is it normal that my doctor asked me to move my hair away from my back instead of just moving it himself?"
I agree - next time, since you are sensitive wear your hair differently or when he was looking at your back ask if he wants you to move it. Was he listening to your lungs with the stethoscope or looking at your skin for some reason? Take a bit more initiative at your next appt.

Do you have issues with your other doctors? - what about your OB/gyn - that could be a nightmare!

Old 12-19-2021, 08:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
if OP is a considerate person,she should tie her hair in a bun before the visit and wear a hair nest.
What if it has lice?

Old 12-19-2021, 09:12 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
They move my hair to check my ears, GP and moved my hair during a skin check,dermatologist. It would never occur to me that it was inappropriate!

Old 12-19-2021, 09:27 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyTee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyTee View Post
Is it normal for a doctor to move your hair out of the way in order to examine you or is that a bit unusual/overly familiar? I am talking about for an examination of the back. Would a patient normally move her own hair or could a doctor reasonably do it for her without it being inappropriate? I have long hair.

When I say moving it, I mean gathering the hair into a fist and putting it over one shoulder in order to proceed with the exam.

I have long hair too. Normally it sits in the front but there have been times when it's been on my back.

The doctor will be listening to my chest, then move around to the back, if I haven't moved my hair, the doctor has done it herself.

Usually medical students will ask me to move it if I didn't.

I guess you got a weird vibe from the male doctor?

Old 12-19-2021, 10:53 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I've had long hair for most of my life. When I wear it down I'm conscious of needing to keep it out of other peoples' way. Not just for their convenience but also to protect my hair.

But there are many places I visit when I know it's just a good idea to wear it up. Frankly I don't care to have others touch my hair either so I do what I can to keep it out of their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness