Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you get vaccinated?
Because I believe in the science 24 63.16%
Because I felt forced to keep my job and social life 5 13.16%
Because it was easy to go with the flow and I have other vaccinations 4 10.53%
I am not vaccinated 3 7.89%
Other 4 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:09 AM

200 posts, read 174,114 times

Advertisements

Genuinely curious why those that are vaxed chose to do so. I will be the first to admit that I would not have gotten vaxxed if it didnt pose a threat to my job. I essentially chose to get vaccinated to continue to provide for my family, not from the virus. Because at the end of the day we really don't have a" choice" even though the ones enforcing this nonsense say we do.

Ironically enough, I am to this day the only one vaccinated in my house and the only one to get covid( that we know about) and it was more mild than any flu Ive ever had. Proud to be a part of the 99% survival rate though!

Last edited by fastball92; 01-21-2022 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 09:37 AM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
I think your choices are a general reflection on how you view your interaction with medical issues as a whole. Most peoples interactions are culturally determined and viewed in such a context. Some people don't have the resources of modern medicine and are forced to find alternatives in addressing health issues. Quite a few use things around them in the form of herbs and folds medicine. That is the origins of most modern medicine and doctors educated in plants and herbs in treating disease. Many shaman come from that same tradition of using nature and culture in dealing with ill health.

To have an entire family not vaccinated and feeling that you are forced to vaccinate yourself is not what we consider the norm in an industrialized first world society. It's something that is expected from an uneducated third world society. The fact that you did not choose "because I believe in the science" and instead chose "felt forced to keep my job" speaks volumes.

Most people in our society trust the education and training that doctors undergo. That is nothing new as even the doctors that came along with the conquistadors were medically trained in herbs and respected by the soldiers they treated. There were instances of hemorrhagic fevers that killed many Indians in the Americas as reported by the doctors at the time.

Eventually that trust over time was strengthened by departing from a faith based system to an evidence based system that incorporated the scientific method. In order to understand that system one needed to be educated in science. There was a gap between the education that the average person had and those of the doctor. Education was controlled as mostly nobleman, royalty and religious leaders. The bible was written in latin and English translations forbidden and not other books were allowed except for the Bible. That presented a chasm between science and religion.

In time societies developed and progressed to the point where more people became educated and able to understand the framework science has taken in health. Microorganisms role in disease and in substances like vitamins which were indiscernible before were brought to the conscious mind of the average person. The uneducated still lagged behind while evidence based medicine took off in medicine.

I would suggest that there is a correlation between education levels and the answers that people pick.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I chose option #3 though I also believe in science of course. But for me, I have never had any sort of negative reaction to any sort of vaccine and this one was no different in my opinion. Also, I want to travel with as few impediments as possible.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:46 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I believe in giving myself the best chance at health. Vaccinations, eating healthy foods and buckling my seat belt are all part of that.

After getting vaxxed, I traveled freely and haven't gotten covid. My neighbor didn't vax, and was sick with it for weeks. My BIL died of it before vaccinations were available. An acquaintance has ongoing issues from covid.

I'm not traveling now, waiting for the wave of Omicron to peak and pass.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I chose option #3 though I also believe in science of course. But for me, I have never had any sort of negative reaction to any sort of vaccine and this one was no different in my opinion. Also, I want to travel with as few impediments as possible.
I could have voted this way as well. I believe they do help with the impact of covid but I still wouldn't have gotten it based on the fact that I am very low risk of complications based on CDC data, but more importantly I just dont trust the message behind it and the ever going changes that seem to contradict themselves. The tyranny of our government doesn't help either. Its strange because Ive never thoght twice about not getting a vaccine.

However, In this case I was forced in order to keep my job and unfortunately I need my job to provide for my family. Thankful I have had no complications from it and I will chose to believe it helped when I got covid last week .

Old 01-21-2022, 10:46 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Not having a 'death wish' I believe in being responsible. Vac's work. People get them from birth on to prevent health problems. The Covid ones are free and e-z to get. If you are anti-government vaxing then did you give back your government free stimulus check last year. Bet not.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Not having a 'death wish' I believe in being responsible. Vac's work. People get them from birth on to prevent health problems. The Covid ones are free and e-z to get. If you are anti-government vaxing then did you give back your government free stimulus check last year. Bet not.
Death wish?! Lol. Gimme a break with the doom and gloom. Why are you guys like this?! What a Clown comment for a virus with a a 99% survival rate and that’s with bad biased data. Again, I am vaccinated and though I felt forced I don’t have medical concerns with or without it. But it’s not keeping any of us from getting or spreading it- even if Rachel maddow says so. Lol

I’m not anti-government but I am anti tyranny and overreaching of our government.

If only I got a stimmy. I was one of the ones who got to fund that garbage but didn’t qualify for the governments approval to spend my own money. Makes sense right? Completely different thread but if you pay in, you should have gotten a handout check. But, Sure glad my responsibility helped pay your bills while I just continue to get taxed to death being a successful sole provider for my family.

Last edited by fastball92; 01-21-2022 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 11:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I believe in giving myself the best chance at health. Vaccinations, eating healthy foods and buckling my seat belt are all part of that.

After getting vaxxed, I traveled freely and haven't gotten covid. My neighbor didn't vax, and was sick with it for weeks. My BIL died of it before vaccinations were available. An acquaintance has ongoing issues from covid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Not having a 'death wish' I believe in being responsible. Vac's work. People get them from birth on to prevent health problems. The Covid ones are free and e-z to get.
These pretty much cover our reasons.

Add that I have elderly family members, family members going thru cancer treatment or have other medical issues that put them at higher risk. I want to be able to see them without putting them at higher risk than needed.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:50 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I chose #3. We have family overseas and it occurred to me that I had better be vaccinated in case I suddenly needed to travel to where they are.

I got vaccinated when I did because my college-age daughter needed it for school and was apprehensive about the side effects. I told her that I would get vaccinated when she did, as moral support and because I felt it wasn’t fair to tell her she had to do it but I wouldn’t.

Some of my family members are not vaccinated. We had a get-together around Christmas and 9 out of 9 of us got Covid. The vaccinated were not immune and the unvaccinated were not sicker. So I feel very firmly that people should not be pressured one way or the other.

We are going to a family wedding at the end of the month. I have to say I am just as glad we all had Covid recently because we won’t worry about either getting it or spreading it—which would not be the case if we had only had the shots.

Last edited by saibot; 01-21-2022 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I chose #3. We have family overseas and it occurred to me that I had better be vaccinated in case I suddenly needed to travel to where they are.

I got vaccinated when I did because my college-daughter needed it for school and was apprehensive about the side effects. I told her that I would get vaccinated when she did, as moral support and because I felt it wasn’t fair to tell her she had to do it but I wouldn’t.

Some of my family members are not vaccinated. We had a get-together around Christmas and 9 out of 9 of us got Covid. The vaccinated were not immune and the unvaccinated were not sicker. So I feel very firmly that people should not be pressured one way or the other.

We are going to a family wedding at the end of the month. I have to say I am just as glad we all had Covid recently because we won’t worry about either getting it or spreading it—which would not be the case if we had only had the shots.
Natural immunity and our immune system is pretty incredible. I just saw that the CDC released a statement that NI is better than the vaxx for delta. Again, my issues were that I felt forced, just like your daughter and the false narrative that we are " safer" from exposure just isnt true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness