Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any ideas or leads you may have.
I didn't know where to put this...it touches on food and health.

Basically, my question is what ingredient(s) in my homemade, from scratch chili could raise a person's blood pressure? The few things I've read say peppers lower BP, not raise it. Or could it be an allergy?

I ask because I made a humongous batch of chili (no meat just beans) and threw most of it away because the two times I ate it over rice....I wasn't even finished it and I started to feel flush and have pressure in my head and neck. The head pressure was an all over, sort of inside the skull feeling.

It was enough of a concern that I threw out about 3 gallons of chili.

The ingredients were:
-- eight kinds of cans beens rinsed (navy, small red, pink, pinto, cannellini, roman, light kidney, dark kidney)
-- four large fresh tomatoes, diced
-- two small garlic cloves diced
-- 1/2 each of red, green, yellow, orange pepper
-- 1/2 each of red, white, sweet, yellow onion
-- small can of tomato paste
-- small can of no salt added tomato sauce
-- small can of no salt added diced tomatoes
-- medium sized can tomato puree
-- a bag Trader Joe's roasted corn
-- 32 ounces low sodium, non-fat chicken broth
-- lots of every spice I have: lots of chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder...and additionally: Mrs. Dash, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, rosemary, cumin, coriander, cardamom, curry, turmeric, Trader Joes 21 seasonings, Braggs 24 seasonings, Costco dried vegetable seasonings, parsley, cilantro, cinnamon, dill

That's it. I've eaten all of these things and never had any issues. Although, chili powder and cayenne I never use in anything but chili. That's why I'm leaning toward those being a possible culprit.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 01:27 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Did you check your BP or were you assuming the flush you felt was enough of a symptom?

When you combine ingredients together, they can interact and "behave" differently than they do individually. Then there's the chemical effects of cooking. Some things are neutralized, others are enhanced.

Before making an assumption and tossing the entire batch, I probably would have set up a trial...checking my BP before eating some, then during and afterward. Any change in BP might be essentially insignificant and transient. Also, to figure out which of all those ingredients might have been the culprit, I'd prepare the same recipe but leave out one ingredient at a time, starting off with the most likely. Elimination diet process...

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-21-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2022, 01:27 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Thanks. I did throw it all away.

Even as I was throwing it away, I had a couple of tablespoons of it, and started getting that strange reaction just from 8 tablespoons. So something was in it that didn't agree with me.

Guess I'll never really for sure absolutely know what it was. But given that I use the same spice/herb mix almost every week -- and the only spices that were different were the chili powder and cayenne -- I'm going with one or both of those.

That chili was so good. but -- better safe than sorry.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:18 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Hypersensitivity reactions that are type 1 are immediate which fits the time frame but one sees hives, itching and low blood pressure if it causes anaphylactic reactions. One feels low blood pressure not high blood pressure.

Other hypersensitivity reactions are more delayed and not immediate.

Immediate reactions to foods can be irritants which chili is. One can get a physiological reaction that might include feeling of high blood because of the increased heat or vessel dilatation that can be felt as high blood pressure maybe.

"As every hot-sauce aficionado knows, a plant compound called capsaicin deserves credit for the snot-unleashing heat of spicy chili peppers. One study on the physiological and therapeutic effects of capsaicin found that the compound causes its unique brand of “excitation” by locking onto a specific type of pain receptor. “This excitation leads to the feeling of heat or burning pain, blood vessel dilatation, reddening of the skin and body temperature elevation,” says Anthony Dickenson, author of the study and a professor of neuropharmacology at University College London."

https://time.com/5566993/why-spicy-f...your-nose-run/

I get a runny nose with certain chili high in capsaicin. I eat soups and put chili which makes me extra hot to the point of turning a fan on.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:20 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
^^^^That, plus was there any MSG in the chicken broth? That pressure in the head feeling is something I used to get from Chinese food.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:20 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
What about the roasted corn? Do you eat that normally?

I just had a food sensitivity test done last week, last one I did was in the 80's. Corn was my worst offender both times.

Thank goodness I'm still fine to eat all the hot and spicy items. I need my capsaicin.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:38 PM

249 posts, read 165,698 times
Cayenne can cause facial flushing in some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness