Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 02:41 PM

761 posts, read 447,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Not really. Weight and other health factors are required on most life insurance applications.
But how do they go about it? They ask the applicant? Or do they need confirmation from a doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 03:11 PM

761 posts, read 447,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A lot of schools have that. I had that when I was in middle school? Elementary? I remember it vaguely.

So WHICH nutrition do you want to teach, because no matter what you choose the AG lobbyists are coming for you. /lol

You may want to start with what the school cafeteria serves.... of wait, that was tried, and failed. Remember all the outrage?

Doesn't matter, the kids in school will learn all the important nutrition stuff, get pizza for lunch in the cafeteria, and Mom will swing by McDonald's to pick up dinner.
Well, I had what they call "home economics" in middle school. But it wasn't anything like the text book I have. I don't recall there being any nutritional information.

I know, the industry food police will be reading all the text books and those books better not criticize any food as being bad for you.

I suspect that today someone with a degree in nutrition has been taught that there's NO such thing as bad food. There was a woman with a PhD in nutrition who used to go on a radio station once a week and one time I heard her say, "I get so mad when I hear people say this or that food is bad food....there's no such thing as bad food." I'm not kidding.

I heard a dietitian say basically the same at a local lecture. She said, "there's no such thing as bad food as long as you abide by the serving size."

After a couple of years went by, I was reading my local newspaper and a reporter happened to mention (oops) in an article about food that the woman with the PhD was employed by a Florida supermarket chain.

Likewise, the dietitians who went around giving free lectures on nutrition were also employed by the same supermarket chain.

I could tell you a lot more but for now I must get going.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:27 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
If you listen to poor sources you get poor information.

But honestly, you couldn't teach kids all the right decisions and expect them to follow them to the letter.

Food can be just for the joy of it, and that's fine if you eat well the majority of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nutritional classes in school. I just do not think it will accomplish much.

For the most part I think most kids know spinach is better for you than bacon.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2022, 03:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The concept sounds good but I don't think it would ever be accepted by the population at large. (No pun intended.)

I didn't know smokers paid higher insurance premiums. But admitting to smoking is not the same as revealing personal information about your weight. With 69% of the population being either overweight or obese, that requirement would be challenged in court as going against doctor-patient confidentiality and unlawful discrimination.
Smoking is personal information. Smokers have to reveal this personal information and the concept is accepted.

We all pay because we share in the rising cost of health insurance premiums and medical care costs partly due to covering self-inflicted health problems by the obese and smokers, but only smokers are required to pay up to 50% more for health insurance premiums. It's discriminatory. Either charge the obese extra too or neither.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:05 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Smoking is personal information. Smokers have to reveal this personal information and the concept is accepted.

We all pay because we share in the rising cost of health insurance premiums and medical care costs partly due to covering self-inflicted health problems by the obese and smokers, but only smokers are required to pay up to 50% more for health insurance premiums. It's discriminatory. Either charge the obese extra too or neither.
The obese frequently are charged more for life insurance.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2022, 05:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The obese frequently are charged more for life insurance.
Smokers are charged more for life insurance too. So it shouldn't be a problem to charge the obese higher health insurance premiums too, like smokers are.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Smokers are charged more for life insurance too. So it shouldn't be a problem to charge the obese higher health insurance premiums too, like smokers are.
Some employer-based plans do offer incentives for people to engage in healthy lifestyles. I met one woman who said her employer would give a discount to people who wore fitness trackers (it’s possible an inexpensive one like a Fitbit was provided) and maintained a certain average step count or logged a certain amount of exercise minutes weekly. Other insurance plans subsidize gym memberships.

Other employers provide breaktime at work to allow for exercise. I think when I worked for the state, we were allowed additional breaktime for a fitness walk or run. In the federal government, some agencies also offer 30 minutes of PT time daily. My current agency does not, but I do tend to do 20-30 minutes of exercise during my lunch break. It tends to keep me from having an after lunch crash.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:14 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
The problem with any idea is how the food industry might interfere because overweight people are their bread and butter. Two men walk into a restaurant, both the same height, one weighs 125 pounds and the other weighs 250 pounds. The owner sees them walking in.....which one will he value the most as a customer?
The server will prefer the one who tips better. The cook will prefer the one who likes the food better.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
But how do they go about it? They ask the applicant? Or do they need confirmation from a doctor?
Many times a nurse will come to your house and weigh you, take BP, maybe even blood samples, etc.

Believe me, when it's a matter of hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more!), they don't leave it to the person to tell the truth!

Old 03-09-2022, 07:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am not assuming she didn't keep up on exams but dying of cervical cancer at 40/41 is pretty unusual and tragic. I also think the standard these days for getting a pap is every 3 years. 3 years is kind of a long time. I would think a lot could happy during that time...but 3 years is what is recommended.
The interval between smears should be individualized. Someone with one lifetime partner, no previous abnormal smear, and testing negative for HPV is different from someone who has had multiple previous partners and who has had prior abnormal smears or tests positive for a high risk HPV type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes I'm assuming she had HPV and I know a lot of people who have had that. HPV typically goes away on its own and doesn't cause health problems in many people. For most people who have a healthy immune system, HPV will clear itself within one to two years.

I got behind on a few appts myself during covid
Testing for HPV itself is increasingly replacing Pap smears. Some types of the virus convey more risk than others. The only way to know about HPV is to test for it. The way to prevent it is to take the HPV vaccine.

Quote:
Fifty years ago someone might have said the same thing about smoking. You can't make them stop. And that would be true for some smokers, but look how many tens of thousands stopped smoking because of the anti-smoking campaign. That's not to say the same methods would be used but don't give up without trying.

All cancers do share the same basic characteristics and that is precisely why the same treatments don't work on all cancers. It has to do with cancers ability to mutate. (I can provide more information on this if anyone is interested.) Cancer's ability to mutate is why I think some of the research money for a cure should be spent on a cancer prevention program.
Fifty years ago doctors were discussing weight with patients. They gave referrals to nutritionists. The appointment likely never was kept. No one is paying nutritionists to give bad advice.

Cancer is far more than just mutation. Money is being spent on prevention programs.

Quote:
That is a very good point since obesity has been declared a national epidemic.

The CDC and many other organizations have anti-obesity campaigns. They have been criticized by people equating obesity education with shaming.

I am in favor of charging higher health insurance premiums for obese people like is done with smokers. It would get their attention more than anti-obesity campaigns have.
Some health insurance companies do rate for being overweight, and some offer incentives for maintaining a healthy weight.

Quote:
The concept sounds good but I don't think it would ever be accepted by the population at large. (No pun intended.)

I didn't know smokers paid higher insurance premiums. But admitting to smoking is not the same as revealing personal information about your weight. With 69% of the population being either overweight or obese, that requirement would be challenged in court as going against doctor-patient confidentiality and unlawful discrimination.
There is no interference with confidentiality because you have to approve release of your records.

Quote:
Yes I did provide one really big idea, "EDUCATION". There used to be nutrition text books for middle school and/or high school. I have such a book that was used in schools many years ago. The copyright date is 1913.

The problem with any idea is how the food industry might interfere because overweight people are their bread and butter. Two men walk into a restaurant, both the same height, one weighs 125 pounds and the other weighs 250 pounds. The owner sees them walking in.....which one will he value the most as a customer?
Unless it is an all you can eat buffet both are likely to order a meal that will generate about the same profit for the business.

A major contribution of the restaurant industry to obesity is massive portions that teach people the wrong idea about what to expect a portion to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness