Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM

68 posts, read 291,363 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the great support. This thread has been great!!!!!

Joy

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,806 times
Default Broken Leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gabpaul View Post
I have a broken tibia with 6 fractures and a broken fibula. I had open reduction internal fixation. I have a steel plate with 9 screws into the tibia bone. I fell down my stair case holding by 2 yr old daugher. She was fine. I am six wks post my surgery and have swelling in the ankle and tibia area. The tibia and fibula bones are very sore. I had my cast removed 4 wks post surgery and I am now in an aircast for an additional 4 wks. I was wondering if any one had a similar break and how they are now doing. I am hoping to walk without a limp and to eventually wear shoes again.
Hi there, I broke my tibia and fib a month and a half ago...and I had an operation. Have a steel plate too! I slipped on my scarf while I was running to get something from my bedroom. Went to the hospital two days ago for X-rays and both my bones are still broken,. They removed my cast...which I find it very weird, and the doctor adviced me to start walking without crutches. If my bones are still broken how are they gonna heal? The gave my no support i.e aircast...but can wear my trainers as my leg is not very swolen.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM

69 posts, read 334,329 times
the tib and fib bones take a long time to heal as they do have a lot of muscle around them by walking and working the muscle this will help the bones to knit together dont be suprised if you begin to see lots of swelling as you begin to walk and move around it is all normal

all doctors do things different i broke my femur as well as tib and fib in an auto accident have 2 rods and lots of screws i was in a split and knee brace to keep my knee from bending, when my doctor took that off i did not have to wear anything on my leg no boot or aircast, as i was weight bearing as tolorated

Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 PM

27 posts, read 119,962 times
Default New Guy.

I am really happy to have found this discussion group. It's really good to have the support of others whom share a similar experience. I broke my tib, fib and clavicle racing motocross on Jan 24th. The ankle has been tough going. Surgery with two screws. All went well and I am now 1 week in a shoe, but walking is very difficult. Extremely tender. Those of you still in the early stages of a break, stay tough, it does get better. I experienced many of the same fears and emotions described by some of you. The weeks will pass and the situation will improve. Good luck to all.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Hey New Guy,
Welcome. I am also almost week in a shoe. Walking is great but still pretty tough.

Joy

Old 03-21-2009, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 175,542 times
Painful Victory:

It sounds like you're really beating yourself up over your injury. You're young and you will heal. It's only been a bit over a month. I know--you probably thought a broken bone is "all better" after 6 weeks. I certainly did when I broke my leg back in August. I broke my right tibia and fibula slipping on an algae covered slimy rock in Baxter State park in Maine on August 29,2008. Now, almost 7 months later, although I still have some pain (ankle and knee), I can do just about everything I did before. I'm 51 and they put a titanium rod in my leg by way of my knee. I couldn't work for 2 weeks, couldn't drive for 4. But slowly, then quicker as I was able to put more weight on my leg, I started getting better and better. I've never been in great shape--but I can walk 5 or more miles again without significant pain or discomfort.

What does your doc say about when you can lifeguard again? I bet you'll be swimming this summer!

Hang in there--you will heal and be fine!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,361 times
Hello, I broke my leg skateboarding about 7 months ago. broke the fib and tib in three spots and had a rod put in with two screws in the ankle and two by the knee. I started skating again after about 5 months but it still hurt and was not all the way healed so the doctor decides to remove the screws in the ankle to let it heal better. its been about two months since than and I am still having pain when I jump on it. I had an ex ray two weeks ago and the doctor told be there was one spot where it wasnt healing. He told me to wait six weeks and to continue skateboarding on it. He also said he thinks it will heal the rest of the way but if it dose not by than it wont and he will need to put a new rod in, a thicker one. Has anyone had this happen or know anything about this? I skateboard for a living so as time goes on I get more and more nerves. I cant tell if im pushing it to much or if its just not taking to the rod thats in there. This web sites been helping me allot lately and if anyone can give me some more advise that would be awesome. thank you J.T.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:48 PM

175 posts, read 741,497 times
Hello everyone! Looks like we've got some new members among us. You guys have found one of the best places on the web for a broken tib/fib. This site helped me keep my sanity for a long time.

My background: I broke my tib/fib back in November by slipping on the ice. I had a plate and 6 screws put in the fib, and two larger screws that go through the tib into the fib. I have one fracture blister that will not heal, and was sent to the infectious disease doctor at the wound clinic who tried different things to get it to heal with no luck. They finally tested it for infection, and it came back positive for staph. They sent me for a bone scan which determined that I have an infection in the tibia. I was told that I have to have a PICC line inserted to administer IV antibiotics for 4 weeks, and then will take oral antibiotics until the two larger screws can be removed.

My update: I got my PICC line inserted. It took two days to get in. The first day I spent hours at the hospital and they told me that my vein blew and they couldn't find a new one to use because I was jumpy. They sent me home with instructions to come back Friday. I was immediately given a valium to take, and it went a LOT smoother that time around. The only issue I had getting the line put in that day was at one point I got a severe cramp in my neck that I couldn't rub away. They determined that the line went up my neck instead of into my chest. The nurse was amazed because she said that she has never had a patient actually feel that. After that, I was able to let her know immediately if the line went up instead of down, and it made things go quicker.

They gave me my first dose of antibiotics in the hospital, and when I got home I scheduled the pharmacy to deliver a week's worth of supplies and scheduled a visit from home health. I got the supplies last night (same day PICC was inserted) and home health made their first visit today. They will come back tomorrow just to make sure that I am doing everything correctly, and then they will just come out twice a week until the PICC is removed.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Oh Christina,
What an ordeal for you. I hope the antibiotics take care of your infection. You have really had your share of ups and downs. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Joy

Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM

139 posts, read 588,204 times
Its been 9 weeks since my accident. Shattered tib/fib and shattered ankle walking into work on ice on unsalted pavement in handicap area. My fracture is completely healed just need to wear medical support hose 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. I am just starting to bear 40% of weight on my left ankle. Buying a slip on shoe here in Toledo Ohio was a challenge could not wear velcro was causing pressure pts could not feel. Has anyone experienced the strangulation of metal at times. Last 4 days the ankle has stiffened up so no matter what stretching exercises they are having me do got to ride stationary bike for first time Friday at PT but this metal strangulation at ankle drives me absolutely insane do not know what to do about it and PT or ortho dr not concerned says its normal just want to go in with wire cutters and snip it off. Since my accident each week gets better but the thought of not knowing when can even start walking with only one crutch seems to far out to visualize. Those of you who are just starting out even though I do not write much reading what everyone has gone through has helped. Everyone hang in there and get better. I was just so thankful Ohio didnot have any snowfall since I fell 1/14/09. Take care my prayers are with each and everyone of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness